Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Printer problem

edited May 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I wanted to print a web page for reference and clicked on my printer symbol and nothing happened just locked up the whole system.
    Tried again same thing. Checked that the printer was printing- Windows XP Printer Test Page printed out okay, but then noticed in the tray my printer symbol was on a black background (earlier I'd printed a web page with no problem)and when I hover the mouse over it it says 'No Device'
    What should I look at now?
    (I'd checked the settings via the Control Panel)
  • I tried printing out a page from my documents and it did that okay; tried a few of the info sheets stored in the printer memory and they arrived but there was a strange slurping noise when they were being printed.
  • My printer stopped printing last week for no apparent reason.  After trying troubleshooter I gave up.  Then the next day my sister went to use it, and it printed out my work.

Have you tried pasting the page to Word first?.
  • Switch everything off and reboot, see if that clears the problem. It often does.
  • That was going to be my next plan of action if I couldn't find an obvious reason for the sudden problem.
    Thanks for that Stirling.
  • Do you or have you more than one printer installed?

Windows may be set to print from device 1, but Word may be set to print from device 2. The same with your web browser. You may have set a default but if you printed from a different device from your web browser the last time it may still be set to that.
  • Dorothy, thank you. I turned the computer off this time rather than just the printer, left it for ten minutes while I got my lunch, and then switched it on.
    The little green circle behind my printer is visible again, but rather than trying to print I saved the webpage. As the print preview just showed up blank I thought it might give me trouble again if I just tried printing.
  • we have a persistent problem in the office with a networking link.  I can be busy entering information and the message will flash up that the link is not there.  No reason. No one has gone near the magic box of tricks under the desk, nothing. So I pull out the plug, leave it then plug it in again. And it works.  Don't know why or how, it just does.
  • ST we only have the one printer connected up. Usually it allows me to either print by clicking on the print option in the file drop down box, or by the printer symbol on the tool bar.
    When I'm using the web I can only access the printer symbol.
    Possibly it may just have been something on the website, as going between pages was very slow, much slower than normal.
    So it may be nothing to do with my printer.
    It's just frustrating not being sure which it is.
  • Possibly the pinter to USB cable is making poor contact. I know gold plated connectors are more expensive but they are much less likely to suffer these problems. It is possible only one contact is poor and this maybe the one carrying internet data. Try taking the cable in and out at boh ends a few times this has a cleaning acton 
  • Thanks CH, that's a useful tip.