Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Naughty Notebooks - ORDER! ORDER!

edited November 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• There is a thread somewhere about keeping track of your ideas in notebooks.  I'm sorry but I'm too lazy to go looking for where it is on Talkback, but I have found an idea from Pamela Cleaver's how to books. 

Is this idea already on this posting?  If so, I'll just go away again.  If not, I'll share it with you if you want.
  • I don't think it is, Dora.  Please don't go away again, I'd like to hear it!
  • I'd like to hear it, too, Dora.
  • Tell us, please Dora.
  • Dora - this isn't one of your "let's keep them guessing" threads, is it??!!!!

Like those greetings cards that say on the front something like: "How do you keep an idiot occupied for 20 seconds? Turn over for the answer."

So you turn it over and it says exactly the same on the back!
  • No it isn't, it is a really good tip but I can't find the notes I had on it right now so will get back later. 
  • It's a really ancient tip but seeing as my notes are all over the place, it just struck me as a useful idea.The tip the author suggested was making a master index from ideas jotted down in notebooks .  Number each notebook and number the pages in the notebooks.  Buy an indexed notebook (like an address book) and put headings in for your interests eg she said under W she had listed  - witches, weddings, wool, wills wigs, writer’s block.

When a notebook is full, go through it and if you have a note on witches on page 14 of notebook no 28, in your index book write 28/14.

This saves time when you are hunting around for a note you made two years ago.

Probably already used by the world over but I thought it was a useful idea
  • It's better than my idea of having ideas and then forgetting them!
  • Thanks for that tip, Dora.
  • Good tip Dora, I'll work out how it will suit my story ideas.Or use it as a basis.
  • I agree. A good tip indeed. Thanks Dora.
  • Dora, for once you have come up with a sensible thread and a really good idea. I will make a note of it!!
  • I always start off with good intentions. I will list each idea neatly, and then make a note alongside it stating which story it appears in. In practice, however, this soon degenerates into scribbling on one sheet of paper until it is so full of jottings it's almost impossible to read, or writing something on a Post-it note. I don't think I've ever used a notebook for keeping notes. I think I used an exercise book when I tried to write an episode of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. years ago. Otherwise I just use scrap A4 pieces of paper for writing stories by hand.
  • Stan, what do you mean "for once"? Charming innit. I'm glad other people have found it a useful tip.

The Man from Uncle Jay? I can just about remember that, some blonde bloke and some other chap.  Black and white wasn't it?

I have loads of exercise books, one in the car, one by the bed, one in the kitchen, one under the dog, etc, etc, and just write in any of them in an instant.  My notes are all over the place so I found this idea helpful.
  • The other chap was in ... oh, what was it called? Not Spooks. Something about conmen being conned. He played Napoleon Solo, but everyone fancied thingy who played Ilya Kuriakin (forgive spelling).
  • Parter's just come downstairs, and says I'm thinking of The Hustle. The enemy of U.N.C.L.E. was THRUSH.
  • Are you referring to that blonde bloke in Doctor Who, the episode with Peter Kay?  The guy who lived in London?  (He was also in an episode of some spooky programme about a mobile phone.)
  • David McCallum, wasn't it?
  • Was it?

Dish of the day, methinks.
  • Don't know about the Doctor Who episode, but it was David McCullum/McCallum, and he was blond. I thought his first name was David, but - why does your memory let you remember only certain things? - couldn't remember his surname.
  • He also did Sapphire and Steel with Joanna Lumley in the 1970's.
  • Dora, Good idea about keeping thoughts and snippets together. Rather than loads of note books would a card index work. The reason I ask is My wife throws everything out. The kids joke with her , "if theres writing on it ,it gets tossed."Nothing is sacred, the pile of magazines kept for reference purposes, letters with important appointments, I have to keep moving or I may be next. If i had a pile of note books it would make her day. Recycle the lot.
  • My hubby is the throw it away type too. I have to rescue newspapers and magazines to cut out items I want.
  • Dora, I too found your tip helpful. I've trained my wife not to throw away scraps of paper because they might be ideas for sermons or articles or some important phone number. But why do I put no name by the phone number - that annoys me!!
  • Stan your reply brought out the thought of a chair and whip trying to train "the Wife" my wife would feed them back to me. Any tips on changing a spouses habits as against training them.
  • 'Train' was probably not the best word to use! Look here comes 'She Who Must Be Obeyed'. Run for cover!
  • You could always hide under your pile of notebooks.
  • I mean I do or I did.
  • "I do" is usually associated with something else Stan.
  • Marriage?
  • Ha Ha Ha Ha.  Teee heeeee Teeeeee heeeee.

Oh dear, let me compose myself. 

It must be the way you tell 'em.
  • Are you still on one knee Stan?
  • Thank you Dora. The simple ideas are usually the best ones.
  • Aegian and everyone else, two things, one of interest to you all, I met Pamela Cleaver in 1994, when I attended a week's writing course run by Sally Worboys in Norfolk. She was very encouraging and fair with the criticism of a peice of writing I submitted as all students had to produce an item for her to study. In fact she was wonderful. To be honest I was a little nervous initially but then who would not be among such auspicious company - quite healthy really.

Second point is to set up a file, a fairly big one I discovered to keep all your ideas according to the month one is in. So if you have several in January and it does not have to reflect winter or whatever, but type them out from your notebook and put them in the section of that month. Also collect press cuttings. Do you have a photocopier because you could photocopy the item and then stick it on to a sheet of paper or into the month of the year, labelling the item concerned. If you have a scanner, even better but I find a photocopier just as useful. I got mine the year before last and frankly I don't know how I managed without it.
  • Thanks, Dora, I think this is an idea I will use :-)
  • I must be more organised. I might try this idea. I can see how it would make things easier to find but I can see me spending lots of time typing up note scribbled on bits of paper. I keep meaning to put my notes into any type of folder instead of tucked inside books or my handbag or my piles of books and papers.
  • I'm glad others have found this helpful.