Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who cares what the author looks like?

edited July 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• I've just made a massive blunder and bought a book without opening the cover and looking at the author's picture. No - you might scream - what an idiot. I read the blurb at the back and because part of it was on a similar theme to my latest unfinished masterpiece, I bought it. Only to realise it was written by Jordan. It said Katy Price on the front but I am such an innocent I had no idea who that was. Inside the cover was a glamour shot and there was another photo inside the back cover. If only I'd looked. I would never have wasted my husband's money. I'm so tempted to send it back to Arrow because it is garbage but since I'd quite like ( well alright really really like) them to publish one of mine, I'm having a moan on here instead. It reads like its been written by a teenager. I almost can't bear to send it to Help the Aged. Though it might spice up some poor man's life just looking at the photos.
    This is a lesson to me -LOOK INSIDE THE COVER.
    On a serious note - do any of you care what the author looks like? Does it entice you to read the book? Why do publishers do it?
  • I'm always curious to know what an author looks like, but her/his photo would not influence me to buy or not to buy the book.
  • Yikes! I don't think I've ever thought about what an author looks like. (Not that I can remember) I hope Jordan's book isn't out here.
  • I absolutely would never buy a book written by a 'celeb' such as Madonna, Duchess of York, wife of Jamie Oliver, Naomi Campbell, Victoria Beckham, Anne Widdecombe, Alan Titchmarch (or however it's spelt)etc. (AND Jordan - if only I'd looked inside)If I saw their picture I would put the book down. The ONLY reason they get published is because they can make money for their publishers and themselves. It matters not one jot whether or not they can write. I'm sure some of them can to a reasonable level but the only reason they `made it into print is because of their name and face and NOT because they are talented. Rewarding mediocrity when real ability is ignored drives me mad.
  • It doesn't bother me what an author looks like, but I'm always curious about faces - always have been.  I'm just nosy.
  • Nobody knows what Homer looked like, but he wrote a novel which has lasted 2/3 thousand years. It is full of blood and thunder, gorgeous women and heroes falling off the parchment.
    Patty
  • Jordan was on 'This Morning' yesterday promoting her next book.  Frank Bruno was on today promoting his.  Both of them just slipped into the conversation the fact that someone else had written the books for them,surprise,surprise.  Even more surprising was that Jordan's last book had sold over a million copies.  I wonder if it was because she used the name Katy Price and a million people made the same mistake you did.
  • The really sad thing is that it does say in smallish capitals on the front -Jordan - I have no excuse really and I am just furious with myself for being one of the million. The even sadder thing is that I think most of the million bought it because they KNEW Katy Price was Jordan. I'm wondering about changing my name to Camilla Parker-Bowels (Delib spelling) Do you think it would work?
  • It's nice to see what they look like, but it wouldn't influence my purchase. Also it is interesting, as some plain looking writers produce sometimes exotic or mind blowing fiction.
  • Perhaps I should have said that this is not Jordan's autobiography but a 'fiction' book called Angel. Not that I would read a celeb autobiography - EVER. Whatever celebs have to say about their life is hardly the real world. Not mine anyway.
  • Poor Flick - never mind, wrap it up and give it to someone you don't much like.
  • I think it disgraceful that some poor schmuck wrote a novel and now some bint with big boobs is making a fortune out of it like this. Naughty Jordan! Bad Girl - get back in your bikini!

On a lighter note I am curious about what author's look like but would not be influenced by their looks one way or another. Nor would I buy or read a 'celebrity' book of any kind - with the possible exception of Christopher Lee's autobiography which I might peruse at some point - oh that man could bed me with a single word, such is the depth of his stare and the timbre of his voice! Yum. (Am I the only one who likes Christopher Lee in this way? Am I weird?)
  • Betsie - there is NO-ONE I dislike that much.
    Moira - I'm tempted to say yes you are weird but you might come through the window and take a bite out of my neck.
  • Flick, I'm glad you mentioned 'Angel' as I'd intended to put a message on about this book.

I mooched into my local Waterstones a couple of days ago and nearly fell over their massive display at the front door, populated chiefly with copies of 'Angel'.  I stopped dead in my tracks and involuntarily said out loud 'You've got to be kidding' then dashed inside to hide in case anyone ejected me for talking to myself.

I then came back and picked it up, just to read the first page and see how bad it was - you're right, it's as if a teenager has written it.  Celeb biogs and even autobiogs (even if they are written by someone else) are one thing, but claiming Jordan is a novelist makes me feel genuinely sick.  All those of us who are trying to write a novel know how hard it is and that it's just not feasible for her to put her name to one.  It's not as if she'll be short of money from her other celeb activities, so keep off our patch, I say!!! 

Alternatively, maybe it's not too late for me to get treble L boob implants and start a career as a glamour model - turn the tables.
  • Carol - a second reading of your 13.19 post shows you said "exotic" not "erotic"!!! (I read too fast!)

Re "Angel" - why would so many people buy a badly written novel just because it has some random celebrity's name on it? It must be public knowledge that she hasn't written it herself.

And who would believe that Frank Bruno had written a book? Or Posh Spice? Or Naomi Campbell. These are people who can barely string two intelligent words together.
  • I think that us Talkbackers are the only sensible book reading/buying people on the whole planet. Those that buy books by Jordan (It was a mistake - honestly ) are the ones who religiously read Hello and OK etc and want to live like that. (I only read them at the dentists - honestly - because the choice is that or Fishermans' weekly or Drystone walling for beginners.)
    I think it is public knowledge that many of these celebs don't write the book themselves but that doesn't seem to matter. maybe people feel closer to celebrity, closer to wealth, closer to a lifestyle they'd love just by absorbing everything about these people. I am on such a high horse here I'm in danger of breaking my neck
  • Flick - We all make mistakes - I've bought books I wouldn't want to be seen reading in public!
  • Jenny, I confess, so have I and I hide them upstairs instead of on my downstairs bookshelves
  • We're such posers, aren't we?!!!
  • Sorry, but if it came to a choice between Drystone Walling or 'Hello' I'd pick the intersting subject everytime - drystone walling is something useful and productive, it has character, history, purpose and gentle-eyed guys with big strong arms and chests and ruggedly good outdoor looks and superb, natural tanned... ooh!
    I was at the doctor last week. Mags of choice - British Columbia monthly or something like Cosmopolitan. I took the British Columbia and it was great, beautiful huskies, breathtaking scenery, sultry snowboarders and loads of interesting information.
  • Steady now Moira,

In this heat, bronzed masculine bodies may cause palpitations.
    Is there a chance that you are sharing Kangaroo's weekend?
  • Re author's looks - I recently saw Marina Lewycka at the Royal Festival Hall, reading from and speaking about her successful debut novel, A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian.  I don't know her age, other than that she's over 50.  She's an attractive woman, but does look to be in her early 50s.  A colleague then bought me the book for my birthday and I have to say that the woman pictured on the inside back cover looks like someone completely different!  She looks about 10 years younger, which is perhaps helped by the fact that the picture is in shades of blue and grey and left heavily pixellated. 

Tessa, I think you have the right approach.  I think I'll get my boyfriend, who's a keen photographer, to do my cover shot and do a bit (lot) of work on it in Photoshop, before it's offered to anyone.  Take out the Mallen Streaks (err, think that should read 'swathes') of grey for a start.
  • Interesting debate about celeb's writing books. What I find very disturbing is the influence these people have on youngsters. I was listening to some of my daughter's friends talking about what they were going to do when they left shcool and the general view was that if you could get on Big Brother, Pop Idol, X-Factor or any other similar reality TV show, you are set up for life. And the sad thing is it's true! Look at Jade Goody, Girls Aloud, Liberty X, Shane Ward, Take That, Boyzone... all millionaires from appearing on TV. What example are we setting our kids? Get your kit off and you too can become famous enough to endorse every product under the sun! Apply to go on a reality show and you too can have a hit record! As for Jordan, (Katie, Mrs Andre,) or whatever she likes to call herself, does she really think that people respect her and take her seriously? Does she really think that her sons will be proud of her when they grow up?
    Sorry, I went off the rails a bit there! In response to the original question, I like to see the author's photo in a book. It's nice to put a face to a name, but it doesn't persuade me to buy a book just because the author's picture is in it.
  • I agree Debs. Young people, not all, but a large portion of them believe that being famous is the be all and end all. And as you say going on X-Factor or Big Brother is the thing to do.
    It is a pity that there are not a few more programs that show what happens to these 'celebrities' years on, a big reality lesson for many I would have thought.
  • Who cares?  The publishers do!
    They want a 'package' that is marketable and not some white - haired (if I didn't keep up the tints) novellist, who has seen better days...my excuse for not being published yet.
    Lily
  • I may be drummed out of the Brownies for saying this, but to aim at a morally cheap kind of fame is all that many of these youngsters have to do.  The high-IQ teenagers mostly go to University (you still have to pass the exams to be offered good jobs in industry) and the sanctity of marriage is becoming a write-off. 
    What is left for ambition to feed on?
    Patty
  • Moira - you are weird but then I feel the same way about Christopher Walken (I know, I know, I'm sorry) but then he did star in The Dead Zone, a fairly good film of a Stephen King novel which neatly brings me back to the point in question (smooth eh?). I am not encouraged/put off by a picture although I may formulate opinions about the author based purely on that picture. Having seen some of Mr King's photos I cannot help but conclude that there is a man that looks like he should write horror stories! I'd be a bit nervous to see him coming down a dark street.
  • NarnieB - you DO realise he'll be coming to get you now. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Actually I think you're right. He is a bit odd. On the other hand Dean Koonz looks quite normal and he's got a warped mind too. I on the other hand have a very strange mind and have to be locked up every full moon, half moon , quarter moon oh yes and when there's no moon.
  • I agree with you Moira (about Christopher Lee) I've got him on the Lord Of The Rings cd, he's the voice of Treebeard. That voice... I think I might listen to it tonight.
  • Jan, bronzed masculine bodies just don't get me excited. I think the brain is the best part.
  • I suddenly feel very shallow.
  • Kangaroo - I always thought John Rhys-Davies (Gimli) was the voice of Treebeard?

As for what the thread is about...  My friend became obsessed with the photo of the author in the inside sleeve of the book she was reading, constantly checking his photo every couple of lines, and consequently imagining him as ALL of the characters.  She didn't know why.  She couldn't finish the book. 

If I love a book I usually find after reading it I'm curious about what the author looks like, and it's so easy to find out these days with the web.
  • From the other side of the fence, so to speak: When my first book was doing the rounds, being pushed by my agent, one major publishing house - no names! - made a respectable offer for a two-book deal. When Macmillan easily topped it, my agent went back to the first house and asked if they'd put a little more money in the pot, and they refused.
    Their reason? I wasn't a thirty-something hunk. The fact that a thirty-something hunk wouldn't have had the experience of the military that I drew on to write the book was apparently irrelevant.
    My agent rather cheekily suggested that there might be a role for body-doubles to front for aging authors (not me, you understand!).
    I suppose that would work as long as they didn't actually say anything ...
  • That's absurd, James, but Macmillan and you were the winners.

It really doesn't matter what the author looks like - Quasimodo's twin could have written a book, and as long as the writing's good, who cares?  (Not that I think you must look like Quasimodo, you understand...)  As everyone drums into children at an early age, it's what's inside that counts - someone can be a beautiful person based purely on what they've created, whether that be a poem, a book or a piece of art.  I think that's far more important than what someone looks like.

Now, rock stars - that's different...  (hehehe!)  But someone is ten times sexier if they're holding an electric guitar, in my opinion.  Again, however, whether someone is good-looking or not has no bearing on whether they can make a beautiful piece of music.  Take Moby as an example - I've heard no one say they think he's good-looking, but 'PLAY' is a masterpiece.
  • Also consider what a good make-up artist, hairdresser and photographer-who knows how to use lighting to improve the photo- and you could probably look ten years younger. Okay that takes money.
  • If I ever get a book published I'd certainly like a flattering photo on the jacket not like the one my partner took of me that I've just collected from Boots - me asleep on the sofa with my 'comfortable old slipper' glasses on and my mouth wide open.
  • I think I'm just plain unphotogenic. Either that, or just plain. (Can a man be described as 'plain'?)
  • Yes, Jay. Join the Plain Men's Club.
  • Yes I care and wonder why most writers have no real identity. I mean, everyone recognises Beckham, Madonna or Kylie, but how many authors make front page headlines, become celebs by marrying nutters, or are photo-ed boozing in bikinis????
  • Perhaps it's just that writers and readers have a more developed sense of decorum, Sal?  I'd hate to think that someone who was supposedly intellectual, or intelligent, posing and behaving like a complete kn** for the thrill of it.

I know what you mean, though, as it does seem rather unfair that writers don't get the respect they (we) so deserve.

In France, writers are treated with respect, and rightly so.
  • Jay - I cringe when I see the few photos of me in albums, I'm sure I used to look better than that!  Is it a conflict between our own image of ourselves and the fact that 'the camera never lies'?
  • You, talking, Tessa???

Nah.  Don't believe it ;o)
  • A relation we hadn't seen for years was taking photos at a family reunion.

While I was drinking coffee from a mug, I looked up and realised he was about to take a group shot that included me. I quickly put on what I thought was a cheeky expression, directed straight at him, over the rim of the mug.

When I saw the photo on his website I nearly had a fit. I'm looking at him as though I hate him!

I can imagine people who don't know me seeing this photo and asking him who I am and what he did to upset me!

I must remember to smile in all future photos!
  • My passport photo looks as if I've just got out of my coffin!
  • Ah, passport photos are awful. I look like a convict. Just imagine that you saw a really ugly looking author on a book, wouldn't that put you right off buying it? How could a person with such an ugly mug write a good book?