Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Problem no 2 - too many ideas, too much of everything

edited May 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Carrying on to a degree from my previous post about the characters for my novel, I now find that, in spite of having a beginning, middle and end to my novel, plus a lot of chapters sketched out, I feel as if I have too many ideas, too many interesting characters and have no clue how to pull them all together.  I'm sure this is, inevitably, a problem when embarking on a work of 100,000 words or so, but wonder how other people manage it?  I've read in more than one place that you just have to dive in and bang out your first draft, then go back and feed in sub-plots later.  At the moment it feels like I'm trying to get a giant, rabid octopus into a shoebox.  I know in the end I will just have to take the plunge and see what happens, but any pointers from those of you with more experience would be much appreciaed.
  • Control that Octopus!!!

I think, when you start, that you will quickly find that even the smallest idea can fill 100.000 words or more. Remember, you have stasis to work through at the beginning, as well as change throughout, and justification, and resolution, and a continuing thesis. It all adds up. And anyway, who says a work has to be of a certain length. I suggest a quick read of The Burglar Who Studied Spinoza by Lawrence Block. It is only about 65000 words, but all I can say is WOW. I learned so much from it that it has changed the way I write forever.

Perhaps you could try making a block diagram of your plot ideas, so that you can see which are related, which are missing, and which are not necessary. It is a great way to see exactly how things might develop, and if necessary, where you can add length.

I always start with an idea, then do a Mind Map ( see the Tony Buzan books), then  I move on to spider grams or block diagrams ( you can also do this for each chapter). Then I work a little on character. But nothing is ever set in stone.

Milhouse.
  • All I start with at the beginning is an idea and a character - that's it.

I've been writing down some ideas for my next project, but the last two have developed, as Milhouse said, organically, I started writing and carried on from there.  I didn't plan a thing.  The second was possibly a little easier because it was a sequel to the previous one, and the protagonist was a minor character in that one who I wanted to develop.  I felt she had more to tell, and she did (lots, in fact).

Every writer works differently, and no doubt you'll get lots of different replies here, as well, but the only way to find out what's best for you is to do what you feel is right and trust your instincts.
  • They are right Hippo,

You seem to be making unneccesary work for yourself by worrying about detail instead of setting your words down.

The only way that octopus will settle into the shoebox is by you killing and dissecting the poor thing. Stop restricting it, give it space to undulate within a contained area. Try studying one tentacle at a time. General outline of features then move on,doing the same to each in turn. Alternatively, describe the nucleus of the body then work outwards.
  • Hi Hippo,
    I wrote my first full length novel starting with a tiny, tiny idea that wasn't big enough to see. I wrote at the top, Chapter One. Then I carried on writing until I  wrote The End. (I had a few breaks in between, obviously, I had to eat and sleep etc). But at no time did I ever need to stop and think about or analyse my characters and what they were doing or why, they just came alive in my head as I wrote and their story unfolded.
    There are lots of ways different authors write, I know for me that I have to be really strict with myself or it never gets done, I set deadlines, like 2,000words tonight before bed. Or, I will write between  2 and 4 this afternoon. I spend every  minute of that time writing. Some people spend a while plotting, sub-plotting and making character notes before they start writing. Others will give different advice but what really counts is what YOU need to  do to get YOUR book written. Good luck with it! Go for it.
  • It took me a long time to realise that a lot can develop through one character. To start with, my novel was about a man who is diagnosed with incurable cancer. But when creating his character profile, I also created another character, who I instantly recognised as being a major person in the novel.

I can't remember when, but last year, I reviewed what I'd done, and decided it wasn't working as I had hoped. The other character, called Samantha, was just far too important to sometimes be in the novel. She demanded to be the focal point, and today, she very much is. I scrapped 3 characters to get where I am with the novel today. I think they could be used for another story. They just didn’t fit with what I was writing.

I have been writing the novel for a year now, and a huge amount has changed since I penned the first word. From experience, I would say it is fairly pointless to plan ahead with a novel, as so much can change. I made cue cards for mine months ago, and a lot has changed since creating them.

I'm a believer in letting the characters dictate what happens. If you try to tame them, and point them in another direction, what you will have won't be an honest piece of writing. It is their world, and in a way, I have no right to tell them how they should lead their daily lives. What I can do though is show everybody those lives, which is more than enough for me.
  • Mmm, thanks everyone.  You've mostly articulated what a tiny voice inside me has been trying to say, ie just get on with it, woman...and sooner rather than later! Thank you for saying that to me.  I will.  As I hate football, I've declared June 'World Cup Writing Month' - but don't worry, I'll start before then, after all, there are still 12 days of May to make the most of.  I'm also going to set myself a weekly or monthly word count target - Moira, you're right, I need targets.  I also need to do fiercer battle with the organised/perfectionist side of my personality, which is so useful in my work and so useless to my creativity.  Thanks everyone.  Consider that rocket I needed well and truly launched.
  • Well done Hippo,

Now don't think you can leave us behind. Most enjoy exhileration so don't be surprised to see many cadging a ride in your rocket's wake.

Good writing!
  • Try using powerpoint slide show to get your thoughts in order then treat them like electronic index cards for referral. Use bullet points  You can then enlarge it on Word, some people use Excel. Each to his or her own I should say. The secret is planning. Good luck