Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Character hair style problem

edited May 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• The main character in my novel, Samantha, likes to have her hair straight and free on some days, but on others, she does something else with it.

This is difficult to explain. I saw the exact style today from a young woman in a pub, and the hair looks like it is taken from both sides, and then joined together to form in the middle. It's not a ponytail, as there is still a lot of hair running perfectly straight down to her back. I've been looking for pictures on the internet, but so far, I can't find the style I am thinking of. This is the closet I have got so far.

http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/reverse-roll/

Samantha's hair is not entwined like that, but that's what I mean by the two sides coming together. Think of those entwined bits as being simply tied together, not interlocked, and hopefully you will have an image of what I am trying to say.

If anybody can help, I would be very grateful. Thanks.
  • Don't get too sidetracked with the intricacies of the hairstyle.  Does it move the plot along?  You are in danger of boring the reader if you talk about a particular hairstyle too much.
  • She may have used a butterfly clip, but does it matter, as Betsie said? All you need is to give an impression. I get the feeling that the times she does her hair up are significent to the character's behaviour. Of course that could just be my imagination working again.
  • It's not something I would talk about in detail during the novel. But on one occasion, I might say how she was wearing her hair in a simple sentence. But to be honest, it's more for my benefit than the stories; as to have the name of the hairstyle (if there is one) would help for my character profile more than anything else.

Having said that, because I have 2 viewpoints in the novel, any observation of her hairstyle would not come from her. It’s a simple idea I am working on, but it is very much relevant to the progress of the story.
  • If you think it's important to the story to mention a specific hairdo, why not visit a hairdresser or two and ask them? They are more likely to know, surely?
    Or could you just write 'she took the hair from her temples and fixed it the centre'? or whatever?
  • Schumi, I think the hair style you're looking for might be 'a half ponytail'. Maybe if you try to 'google' that, see what you make of it...
  • Fleur, thanks for that. I searched on google and found a few pictures that resembled what I was thinking. And also, I came across a website that described the half ponytail. Very helpful.

I'm going to a hairdresser next week, so I might ask about it when I'm there.
  • Don't get too bogged down in the details.  Ask yourself "why is this significant?"  Does it move the story forward, tell you something about the character, or make the picture you are trying to convey more vivid?  Actually, I often have my own hair as you describe but didn't know the style had a name.  From now on I'll refer to it as "my half ponytail"!
  • I would have a hard time explainging why her hairstyle is significant. As I said above, one of the reasons I wanted to find out about it was for the benefit of my character profile. I have a vivid picture in my mind of my character having this hairstyle, so if it ever has anything to do directly with the story, I would now know what to say about it.

I think where it could have some relevance is when I change viewpoints. The two voices in my novel consist of a mother and her son. The son is the type of person who will pick up on the subtle changes she makes to her hair etc. But any remarks he makes about it will hold a certain, underlying meaning.
  • I find it helps me to have a clear picture in my head of what my characters look like, and will often draw them as well as keep a description in their little file, just to help jog the memory. It's helpful in the strangest of situations ("Hang on, Julia has a ponytail. That elastic band is exactly what James needs to save their lives right now!"). Never underestimate the power of knowing the details, irrespective of whether or not you actually put them into your writing :)