Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

RIP One-word Radio

edited January 2008 in - Writing Problems
To: [email protected]
Dear Sirs,
I write regarding ONE WORD RADIO

Is it true that you are no longer funding this station?
Having only recently discovered that you are related, I am writing to express my severe
disappointment. The best radio station EVER is no more.
I hope that you reconsider re-instating this radio station as it was a credit to the nation.

I would appreciate a response.
Yours faithfully
Hickey
-----------------------------
Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding ONEWORD RADIO.
>
> We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed that the station has closed
> down.
>
> Oneword was co-owned by Channel 4 and UBC Media and although we owned a
> majority of the company the day-to-day operations were run by UBC. It was
> ultimately the decision of UBC to close the station for strategic and
> commerical reasons on 12 January. Channel 4 had on 4 January announced that
> it had sold its share of the company back to UBC Media.
>
> For further information on UBC Media or to contact them directly with your
> comments, you can contact them by writing to the following address:
>
> UBC Media Group plc

Comments

• Perhaps we should all write to UBC, and express our disgust at the loss of One Word Radio.
  • Thanks for these details Hickey.
  • I feel as though the legendary boat carrying 'Radio Caroline' has just been torpedoed.
  • It's sad alright.

Did I see that Channel 4 was considering setting up it's own station similar to OneWord? I could be wrong, it'll probably be just another talk station yakking about everything inconsequential like the rest. Tabloid sounds for the masses.

Shame.
  • I feel ignorant here. I've never heard of One Word Radio. What was its remit?
  • Not sure what its remit was, but it was the spoken word.
  • My wife misses One Word.
  • Wikipeadia: Oneword Radio was a British commercial digital radio station featuring books, drama, comedy, children's programming, and discussion.

"Hello Hickey,
    many thanks for getting in touch. UBC Media have been the stations only shareholder committed to thestation since it first went on air back in May 2000. We've tried overand over again with a variety of other partners and have been unable tomake it a viable business commercially. It's with regret that we've hadto close it down and was not a decision made lightly. There are noplans for a replacement service or to resurrect Oneword Thanks for your support.
    Regards Simon, UBC"

(in other words, quality doesn't make enough money. Learn, people. Learn. Let's all write Mills and Boon from now on)
    (ps. no offense intended to any Mills and boon authors out there - I'm sure you're just paying the rent)
  • OneWord even did a Mills and Boon slot at the weekend recently.