Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Punctuation query

edited February 2008 in - Writing Problems
I have written this sentence:

He’d loved her from the start but then; she had that effect on everybody.

Originally, I had a comma after the word 'then' but my Word editor put a green line beneath it and on checking, it would seem a semi-colon would be better. I'm not sure - I wonder if a comma is fine? Sometimes the Word editor has me dithering where years ago I didn't give a second thought to stuff I thought I knew!

Comments

• edited February 2008
    I would use a comma after start...or not use a comma at all, it doesn't seem to make much sense with the semi-colon there.
  • Same here. The semi colon ; according to my English teacher was a substitute for the word 'and', so it wouldn't fit in right in your sentence.
  • Of course! Doh! Many thanks !

So I'll put:

He'd loved her from the start, but then, she had that effect on everybody.

Much better. *hands round the choccie eclairs*
  • Now you've got too many commas!! I'd just have a comma after 'start' and leave out the word 'then'. But that's just me. Super eclairs. Can I have another?
  • Yep, I'd be just going with the one comma after the word start.
  • i agree with neil and IG, oh and thanks for the eclairs :) yum
  • Agreed - you can do without "then" in that sentence.
    Are there any eclairs left? But I'm on a diet. Oh all right then, you've twisted my arm - I'll just have one ;-)
  • remove all commas. I wage war on commas, so many authors over use them, sprinkle them, like confetti, and I hate, it.
  • I'm with the one comma, and remove then group.
  • Too late! I sent the story off this afternoon! I've been tweaking and editing so much I was losing the natural flow of the story - taking stuff out and replacing it with something fresh, probably because I'd read it so many times! I realise that this is a learning curve. I know my spelling and grammar are fine so if there are a couple of punctuation quibbles in there hopefully they won't detract from the story. It's for People's Friend so I've written in a 'chatty' way.

Fingers crossed.

Oh, by the way, the eclairs are totally calorie free. In fact, these eclairs have magic cream inside which actually helps you lose weight!
  • In that case Lou, I'll have another one - ta :-)
  • How about: She had the effect on him that she had on everybody: he had loved her from the start.

he he!! Just joking!! The eclairs have gone to my head.
  • Oh God, and here's me trying to put on weight!!
  • Or
    He’d loved her from the start but then again, she had that effect on everybody.
  • Good luck with the Peoples Friend. They won't turn your story down because of one misplaced comma!
  • Personally, I would have said "he loved her from the start, but she has that effect on everyone".

I have a thing about the word 'had', treat it like the plague. I think the word has gives it more immediacy.

When talking about commas, I insert them when a sentence sounds like a character/narrator would need to take a breath. As for the semi-colon, I was recently reading a book on style and grammar and they say it should be used to extend a sentence, but it must be relevant.
  • Agree totally with Stirling on this one. In my style book, the semi-colon represents a longer pause than the comma, not a place where and should go.
  • If it was spoken, as oppose to 'within the text' (?)... I'd prefer
    "He'd loved her from the start, but then, she had that effect on everybody"
    If within the text then...
    He loved her from the start, but she has that effect on everyone.