Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Finished book but gammar used is bad

2»

Comments

• edited February 2008
    You'll also need it read by a lawyer, as there are living people in it, for liable etc. (Though the publisher you get should arrange that)
  • Any names used in my book is already public knowlege would that count?
  • I suppose it depends what you write about them. Even villains can be libelled.
  • Yes I forgot we have the human rights act, we must be kind to villans!
  • Yes Montholon, that's true.
    You would have to be able to prove what you said is true. And that proof would have to be iron-clad in the eyes of the law if it came to a court.
  • Not necessarily kind, but truthful. Few people have no redeeming features.
  • Although I have found that most villans love to keep in the public eye it enchances their reputation which they consider a working tool.
  • They might not, but the publisher can't take that risk. And contracts have clauses that say you will indemnify them in the event of legal action.
    That can be very costly.
  • Everything in my book is the truth, and can be backed up even in the law courts.
  • Then you shouldn't have any problem in that case. :)
  • Hello Chalky, and welcome!
  • Hi Chalky, welcome to TB. Careful..... it's addictive. :-)
    Your book sounds very interesting. If you get it published I would love to read it.
  • I love the place, everyone has been so nice to me.
  • Usually everyone is very nice here on TB. We're sometimes a bit nuts as well, but harmless.
  • Have you been published Diana?
  • No, not yet. But I'm working hard on several projects so in the near future I quite confident I'll have some sort of success....
  • edited February 2008
    I'm considering entering the Bridport Prize competition this spring. They're offering a 1st prize (for a short story or poem) of £5,000!! Whooo.
    Do you get the Writing Magazine?
  • Welcome Chalky - looks like everyone has taken you to their hearts here - well done completing your book. I wish you luck with it.
  • I wish you all the best, I wrote a small booklet some years ago on engine reconditioners,had it printed up at a local printing company and managed to sell over 2000 copies outside New Street railway station in Birmingham.
  • Goodness me Chalky - I've just realised you're just up the road from me - I live in Codsall. Have you joined the Wrekin Writers Group, they're local to you?
  • No Diana and to be honest although I have wrote over 500 poems and have letters from the Queen,Hillary Rodam Clinton and others, I never looked magazines simply because I had no idea they were available.
  • Betsie I have been a single parent now for nine years bringing up my two girls, I have not had time to join clubs in fact, I gave up on the world for a long time, but will find out about the group and join.
  • Welcome, Chalky! I'm pleased you have refused Publish America. I was offered publication with them for my autobiography, The Find and, although I accepted at first, I pulled out just in time and self-published, as there is no shame in it any more. As my friends have already said above, publishers these days send rejections out to people who are not present day celebrities like Jordan (Katie Price), or who were abused as children, or both. All my rejections from big mainstream publishers were very encouraging letters

One member of my writers' group, Jack Culshaw, who is dead now, sadly, had his book, Last In, First Out, (about Normandy landngs), published with them and, apart from the fact that it had many inaccuracies, which weren't in the manuscript, the price was exhorbitant - £17.99, for a paperback.

I'm pleased you found someone who will help with the editing or ghosting. When I read your first few postings until you said you found someone to help you with the book, I was going to suggest you might like to join your local writers' group, which you can find on NAWG's website (National Association of Writers' Groups), as there may be someone there who could help you.
  • I have just contacted the Wrekin Writers group asking to join Verica, at the very least I will get to talk to other humans apart from my girls.
  • hi chalky - welcome and best of luck with your book . Looks as though you're goning to busy editing your book and joining a writing group.
  • Welcome to Talkback Chalky. This is a great place to be and there are writers at all stages of experience to offer advise and encouragement. Good luck with your book. From the snippets you mention I would have thought once it is in shape that you could get a publisher interested.