Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Police procedure

edited February 2008 in - Writing Problems
Does anyone know if off duty police officers generally carry their warrant cards? It would suit my plot if they do, but I need to be sure.

Comments

• an interesting source for police information is http://www.coppersblog.blogspot.com it goes through the everyday legislation police are required to endure, or else can put you in touch with them if you need to email them for information, explain that you're researching it for a novel and they may be happy to help.
  • Isn't there a Talkbacker who recently retired from the police force? They might be able to help - for this and many similar inquiries.
  • Anyone know of anything similar for the army (history of, really)? I'm looking at post WW1 and inevitably have to refer to the war and how my characters served in it. There are loads of reference books but i haven't found any that tell you the sorts of nosy details about everyday life that I'm after.
  • Amboline - Was it Scratch?
  • Check out police procedures thread, I just brought it up
  • Highland have a look at this site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwone/#the_human_experience
  • That looks really interesting Chalky - cheers.
  • I'll ask my son when I catch up with him and will get back to you.
  • Coooeee! Scratch here!
    In my day the warrant card was about the size of a credit card and I kept mine in my wallet. Although I tried to avoid 'police work' when off duty, sometimes you were in a position where you couldn't ignore what was happening and got involved.

In days before I was 'in', police used to travel to and from work in uniform and those that were on duty wore a striped band around their wrist.

Our only defence was the wooden truncheon which was carried in a special pocket in our uniform trousers. We were instructed not to 'produce' it unless absolutely necessary as we were not to appear aggressive. To be honest the damned thing was so uncomfortable that I rarely carried it.
  • Thanks again to all who chipped in. I've now definitely established that warrant cards are carried at all times, because police officers are expected to intervene whenever and wherever they see a crime happening. I wonder how often they do, though. In civvies and off duty, they'd be very vulnerable.
  • Incidents like traffic accidents were no real problem, people at the scene are only too grateful for assistance. Fights and other public disturbances were usually left for the 'uniform' to deal with. Not much good shouting, "Stop fighting, I'm a police officer!" when you are in jeans and Tshirt - it can prove to be painful! Common sense came into play, together with the seriousness of what was happening.

Any particular incident you had in mind?
  • I cant remember the details as it was some time ago, but I remember reading about a notorious crim who was arrested on an exotic beach, The Bahamas, or somewhere like that. He was arrested by a British policeman on holiday who recognised the villain. The policeman had his warrant card in a pocket in his swimming costume.

Keen type, obviously!
  • That's a bit OTT! It would have to be somewhere like the Bahamas that are under British jurisdiction!
  • Is that a warrant card in your trunks...:D
  • Just hope he didn't take his truncheon!
  • A couple more questions for you Scratch, if you don't mind. :-)

My character is a young PC on her first posting to a small town. She is given the task of trying to solve the problem of a spate of graffiti which has appeared. Would this be a general task given to all at a morning briefing? I take it she would be on the beat. I also believe she would be working with another more experienced PC - am I right?

Later in the novel she tries to find the report of a death which occurred in the 1950s in another town. Would this be on the computer? Or would she have to wade through dusty archives? Or even go to speak to someone in the other town? How would she go about it?

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to give.
  • This is a good forum too -

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/
  • Megrose - just picked up your message, I'll be back in a while - just gotta deposit No1 Son in Gosport, then I'll be back ...
  • Gosh! That was fun!
    A new PC (probationer) would spend some weeks with a 'tutor' and would patrol together - 6weeks perhaps - always on foot until near the end.
    Each shift starts with a 'parade' where the duty sergeant briefs the shift on the events of the previous day, allocates duties and deals with any other issues. There would be three shifts a day, 0600-1400, 1400-2200 and 2200 - 0600hrs
    Graffiti would not normally be reported as a crime unless on private property, but if on public buildings it may be mentioned as 'seeing what you can find out about ...' or 'asking around to get information about ...' As your PC is newish she might be posted to that beat to find out as much as she can. This would entail talking to shop keepers, residents, local youths, looking out for discarded spray cans or whatever. Lates or Night shifts would be the times that this kind offence would be committed.

Was the death a murder, or an ordinary 'sudden death'? If a murder then in the archives of the division where it occurred - not sure how far back crimes would be computerised. If a sudden death the the files would be with the Coroners officer (a job done by a PC), again in an archive in the division where it occurred.
    A 1950s crime/incident is now nearly 60 yrs old so if a PC who dealt with it was new in service, say 22yrs old, then they would now be 80ish. A PC nearing the end of their service, say 55yrs old is likely to be needing the services of DorothyD! :0) If there was something memorable about the case it may have entered local police folklore with all sorts of theories surrounding it.
    Initial contact maybe by phoning the local station to see if anything is known, and establishing a contact. Probably wouldn't visit unless near by or likely to develop into something substantial. If interesting enough might visit when off duty.

Bear in mind my experience with the Old Bill was mainly in the 80s. Does that help? Let me know if you want more, email address is in my profile.
  • That's great, Scratch - so useful. Thank you for your time. The 1950s incident was considered to be a 'sudden death', but was in fact a murder, so, from what you have said, the PC would look at the Coroner's files for info. There would also be a Coroner's report in the newspaper at the time, wouldn't there? The PC is a relatively minor character - the graffiti is a subplot - but, of course, I want to make sure that things are correct. Thank you for your offer of more help - I may well get back to you if I get stuck!
    All the best.
  • There may have been a report of the death in a local paper if there were interesting surrounding circumstances or some human interest angle - or maybe some suspicions that could not be proved at the time ...

good luck with the story
  • Also we have to remember that in the 1950's such a thing was 'less common' so might make a report in the paper. You could check your local library to see if they have local newspapers on microfilm for the time period, and see what sort of information they revealed, it might give you some ideas that will help generally.