Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

whats in a name?

edited March 2008 in - Writing Problems
Over the past week I have been wondering whether I should push for my newly formed writing group to change its name. Currently we are Writers of the Peak, being based in the Peak District and all that. What niggles me is that this name is a bit dull and local. I have come with an alternative, but I'm still not sure and your help would be greatly appreciated. My offering is 12write.....if you don't get it then its probably a none starter.

Comments

• No I don't get it.
    Assuming there are no groups with this name already, why not The Peak Writers- gives a general area idea of the area covered, it says you're a writers group.
    Consider trying to explain what 12write does in an interview- what does it mean? what do you do? would be my first question, while a simpler more obvious name puts your slot in place before any question is asked.
    Writers of the Peak is okay, though doesn't trip off the tongue readily. Just my view.
    What do the rest of you think?
  • I don't get 12write.
  • it's a play on words or numbers, want to write. I thought the fact that the name wasn't entirely obvious might make people notice and remember it a sort of toysforus thing, but i get the feeling i'm way off the mark with it.
  • toysrus I meant sorry!
  • What about Peak Performers?
  • We have considered Peak Writers as clearly the word peak has another meaning. We hadn't thought of Peak Performers, because we don't really perform. I wanted a generic name which was a bit different and memorable. I actually have a pretty long list some of them completely off the wall. I suppose names are something I like so thats probably why it's still buzzing around my head.
  • You could make a short list, and give the members of the group a vote.
  • I didn't get 12write. Still don't, even after your explanation Puddie, but maybe I'm just thick-like.
    I like Carol's suggestion: The Peak Writers. It says who you are and where you clearly and without ambiguity. It would be far easier for people to remember and far easier for people to find the group, which is the most important thing isn't it? You might put off potential members if you try to be too clever; they might think the group is being pretentious. No offense intended, Puddie, just a thought.
  • Top writers?
    Writers pique?
    Pique writers?
  • Thanks for the input. I take your point about 12write and it will almost certainly be cast aside. I like the idea of a vote on the names so I will come back with a shortlist of 6 shortly.
  • Here they are but I have to say following the advice so far I've wobbled on the more unusual names and they haven't made the cut.
    Writers of the Peak
    Peak Writers
    Peak Write
    writewritewrite
    onetwowrite (or 12write)
    in2writing

It's a bit like Eurovision, but with crap names as opposed to crap songs!
  • Peak Writers gets my vote, for what it's worth.

Ah ha! Now I understand "12write". I kept thinking "twelve write"? But what does he mean by "twelve write"? Duh! :)
  • I thought 'twelve' before I thought 'one two/to', too! I prefer Peak Writers, as well.
  • What about The Writers' Peak ...

just a thought, it is still early for a Sunday!
  • If you were going to be a purely internet based group then any of the later three would work, but as a group that meets, Peak Writers sounds better, with your current title a close second.
    People being able to remember you is a very important point, as Claudia said.
    Good luck with your selection.
  • Thanks again, I actually quite like Jay's suggestion, The Writers' Peak; its a bit different without being prententious, any thoughts?
  • Wasn't me!
  • It was Scratch. Yes, that is different.
  • Just out of interest, Puddie, and nothing to with names - where are you based? Just curious as I originally come from Chapel-en-le-Frith...
  • edited March 2008
    It's ok, Puddie, I made like a policeman and detected your whereabouts for myself! I remember being taken to Bakewell market when we were children - I still have a little teddy I bought there.

Have you read any of the Stephen Booth crime novels which are set in your part of the world? I thoroughly enjoy them, and was lucky enough to go to a 'meet the writer' event at which Stephen Booth gave a talk.
  • How about Pens of the Peak, Peak Pens. Peak Scribblers. Pen2Peak
  • I was also going to suggest Peak Scribblers, Marc B, probably at the exact time you were writing it! However, the simplest, Peak Writers really sounds the best.
  • Peak n Nuts
  • Mcb, Stephen Booth is a really nice bloke. I met him about five years ago when he came to do a talk at our club.
  • name dropper!
  • edited March 2008
    ;)
    Don't get much chance to name drop.
    I can add Simon Brett and John Harvey too.
  • I met Tommy Cooper once. Plus lots of other celebs who i won't bore you with here.
  • He he.
    That evens it up then.
    :D
  • Dunno John Harvey, I like him
  • Peak Scribblers is pretty funky, but I still quite like The Writers' Peak, which I mistakenly attributed to Jay as opposed to scratch, sorry scratch. So does anyone else like The Writers' Peak???????????????

I haven't met Stephen Booth and to be honest i didn't take to one of his books I tried. It may well be because I am so close day in day out to the reality of what he is writing about it's hard to enjoy it has a piece of fiction. Whatever the reason it didn't pop my cork. I have heard he is a very nice chap, my Auntie Barbara likes him, so thats good enough for me.
  • The Writers Peak sounds a bit like the widows peak - something to do with hair. Or like they've reached the peak and have nowhere further to go. There are already other groups called the ... Scribblers. I vote with everyone else - Peak Writers is straightforward and tells it like it is.
  • Thank you Viv; I think my question has been answered.