Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I am horrified

edited March 2008 in - Writing Problems
Today I tried googling the title of my yet to be published next children's book. I was amazed to see it is already listed on some book supplier lists. BUT HORRIFYINGLY there is also a reference to the talkback conversations I had with people here a few months ago - where I was saying I wasn't happy with my publisher's decision over the title. I clicked on this and it took me straight to the talkback thread. Presumably anyone can click on that link and read everything I said! Including my publishers. Arghhhhhhhhhhh. This is terrible. I didn't know that could happen.

Comments

• This is something that has come up a couple of times now. We need to do a check whether the new Members Chat - closed threads are picked up or not. I wonder whether we can get Webbo or Jon to help us sort this out?
  • The book suppliers lists probably mean your publisher is doing his job properly.

But yes, anyone can access tb, you don't need to member.
  • The members chat shouldn't be available, but anything that anyone can look at that doesnt need a membership or password to belong to id oprn to everyone.
  • Yes, I am definitely going to ask if that thread can be removed. This is appalling. I don't think I said anything really bad, but I don't want anyone else (particularly my publisher) knowing I'm still not happy with that title or the way it was finally decided.
  • the new Members Chat has been checked out and it is secure.
  • It's probably best to assume that anything you say on internet forums etc is available to read via Google.
  • I wonder whether there could be multiple secure headings so that we can carry out conversations more safely. We could keep the fun stuff and general info public but have Members Problems, Members Comptetions, Members Info - or whatever was approapriate. There is no harm in WN using this as a feature to encourage joining. I suppose it depends on the objectives of WN for the TB site. Maybe we need to open a proper discussion with them rather than just a hit and miss one when they make changes.
  • Yes, that's good. But this particular thread I'm referring to was started September last year. I wonder if it can be moved to the Members Chat section and so be secure. Either that is deleted.
  • This is the sort of thing I was worried about when 'real' names became insecure for a while last year. (Not that I have anything worth Googling yet anyway!) But it would never have occurred to me that a Google search on book titles would have this effect. Daisy, do you know how the reference to the Tb postings got on the listing in the first place? It seems an odd thing to refer to on what I suppose is basically a sales site rather than a gossip column.
  • I really don't know, Heather! I just typed in the title (which I am not going to refer to again here or it might do the same again). Included in the lists of places where the book is listed/available etc was talkback/chat. Clicking on that takes you straight to the thread on talkback.
  • Ok, so a search engine is picking it up, rather than someone having actively referred to it. I can see why you're uncomfortable, but I expect your publisher knows you weren't happy anyway, so wouldn't think anything of it. have a word with Webbo - if he's not happy to move/remove the thread maybe he could edit out the book title so that it's not readily found. And if you can't remember what you said, you can always look in your account pages to check back and (hopefully) put your mind at rest. Good luck!
  • You might find it remains on Google, even if it's taken off Talkback.
  • I've moved into the hole under the floorboards. I may never come out. :(
  • Oh, Daisy ... Maybe it'll be all right. Everyone drops a clanger from time to time.
  • Would your publisher know that "Daisy" is you? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I thought that was the point of having usernames)
  • Cheer up, Daisy. They probably will never see what you wrote.
  • edited March 2008
    From under the floorboards: Well, it might throw him off the trail for a few minutes, FT. It's such an unusual title, though. If the thread caught his attention he would probably work it out. On the other hand, he has probably got better things to do!
  • Please Daisy don't hide under the floor boards. Congrats on the children's book being published soon.
  • isn't it dusty under there? Dust gets in the keyboard, you know... suggest you come on out!
  • Come on out! :)
  • Will you all come and visit me when I'm hauled off to the prison for Ungrateful Complaining Writers?
  • YES! :)
  • :rolleyes:
  • We'll even bake a cake with a file in it! :-)
  • Oh, thank you!
  • Our pleasure! :rolleyes:
  • we can do something to get you out, use our combined talents, never fear!
  • Stan, don`t even THINK about taking Daisy a flask of tea! Big Brother is watching us all.

Don`t worry about it, Daisy, and should he get back to you about it, well, stick to your guns, I`d say.
  • Poor Daisy - but don't worry, we're all behind you (maybe THAT is something you should worry about though! :P)
    I'm sure you're right that your publisher is highly unlikely to do a search on your title. Big hug (but only if you come out from under the floorboards because I'm not coming down there! :D)
  • That's a good point, Daisy. I've checked my name, Tessadragon, on google because if i could, i'd love to have Tessadragon as my pseudonym....but stuff like even my buyer rating on eBay (an ID 'closed' after hackers attacked) came up, along with some negative profiles from websites i was on in my teens... i've started the slow process of asking to be removed from a few of the non-relevant websites. :-s
  • The problem is how search engines work. The bots that do regular scans will certainly pick up titles, and full names, plus keywords. Then in between times they use cached pages- those they've already been through.
    The links that come up (when you do a name search) do change, some get added quickly, others take longer to appear/disapear.
    If the thread you're refering to has the book title in, then Google will pick it up. Click on that link and it will take you to the thread it appears in.
  • P.S We should all be aware of our internet persona- so like Tessadragon, check stuff out.
  • This is scary :-(
  • It wouldn't have occurred to me to Google my TB identity but I just have. Fortunately I get caught up in millions of Celtic FC references but sure enough the thread, "Celtic C how do you...." is on the first page in all its glory. It hasn't the potential to cause me a problem, unlike Daisy's, but it does make me uncomfortable...hmm
  • This is indeed a wake-up call but sort of vindicates all my past paranoia about protecting my privacy!
    I feel awful for you Daisy!
    We clearly need to be absolutely aware that anything we discuss on this forum is available to anyone on the internet. (Anyone can join so even the Members Only thread are accessible.) It's so easy to forget when we're sitting in our cosy corners chatting to each other isn't it?
  • Absolutely Claudia - I had a bit of a wake-up call from this thread.
  • In amongst all the royal (King) stuff and the beds and quilts (Isabella King is some sort of bedding brand name) I found this. Not a problem but why this particular reference out of all the hundreds that could have been there - It's not the first or the last thing I ever posted - I don't really understand why it should be right up there on page one.

Search TalkbackSearch Result for: Isabella King View profile of: Isabella King ... Re:I'm on Radio tomorrow, 02/01/2008 16:26:02, Successes, Isabella King ...
  • I decided to be wary on forums a few years ago after discovering some Friends Reunited comments I'd made were available on the internet.
  • Blimey. :rolleyes: Yeesh. :rolleyes:
  • Rule of thumb: If you wouldn't be happy to stand on a table in a crowded room and shout something through a megaphone, don't say it in a forum.
  • Good advice, Mike! :-) (And now, through the megaphone...GOOD ADVICE, MIKE)
  • I've just discovered my User Name is as common as muck on the internet and a lot of forums. Looking at the millions of entries on Google, I've come to the conclusion I must have been lucky to get it for TB. Island Girl is everything from the name of a boat to a transgender web site for post op transsexuals. Lucky me, eh!
  • Well if you ever get accused of something, you can honestly claim it could have been any of a large number! :)
  • Island Girl is a terrific name for a boat! I can just picture it island-hopping somewhere in the South Pacific sunshine ...
  • Just a test - I wrote a couple of paragraphs while running major backups and discovered TB said I wasn't logged in. So I am testing before I retype it all ! :)
  • Oh well - it worked this time ! So 2nd go at post.

The flip side to Daisy's worries about too much coverage are more common - too little. Just as an example, and I am not being sad about being invisible - merely glad since I rant quite a lot. Google for pragmatist and you'll get pages and not one of 'em is me ! Since I have been a regular on a sailing forum for years it says that Daisy's title is a good one !

Another example is a friend of mine - Graham Harvey - journalist, TV & radio writer - his name appears every night on The Archers. But if you Google for "Graham Harvey" you will get an assortment of solicitors, academics etc before him. So if you WANT to be visible don't forget the web site and checking for names/titles. Alternatively have a word with your parents and ask to be renamed something unusual :)

P