Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

concept

edited March 2008 in - Writing Problems
Hi before I start work on my novel I have a problem because of a question that is my mind all the time, a friend of mine told me to write from the heart which I will as the theme is set in real life, however that then presents a problem with me as some my characters could well be real-life characters and not fictious ones thus the question which I do need an answer to.

The question is thus. How do you write about people that you know or have seen in real life without hurting them or upsetting them somehow ?

Phil.

Comments

• Someone once advised that you change everyone's sex so that they don't recognise themselves. Alternatively you could mix up their personalities and events.
  • The best way is to retain the one key aspect which is your major plot point, and fictionalise the rest. For instance, if you're writing about a tall skinny Irishman who's having an affair with his boss's secretary, make him a short fat Welshman (with no disrespect meant to Malcolm ;-) ).