Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

ending stories

edited April 2008 in - Writing Problems
Hi all, Have kind of got back into my writing now. Getting a few more ideas but one of my problems is that I don't seem to be able to end stories. I think part of the problem is that I lose interest in ideas quickly (anyone else suffer with that) but I reckon this may not happen if I knew how to round things off a bit more. Any advice and has anyone had similar problems?

Comments

• Perhaps the story hasn't got to the end at that point, and that is why you can't get the finish.
    I know how I expect or want my stories to end, but sometimes they surprise me.
  • jen - do you think your stories through to the end before you start writing or do you just start with a good idea and fizzle out? Maybe you need to think of a full plot before you start - you may find it changes as you write but at least you have a possible ending before you start.
  • I think, Celtic C that u hit the nail on the head (such an old cliche, sorry, lol) I start with an idea and often want to be surprised by where it is going but then things fizzle out, sometimes v quickly. Maybe thinking of an ending will provide a focus but this is what I have trouble with. Will probably look at some stories I enjoy and their plot, esp the end and c if that helps. Any other ideas would be appreciated. I may have just answered my own questions but advice and similar experiences would be good to hear. Thanks.
  • CC's said what I was going to. I have the same problem as you. I often start writing without any clear idea what's going to happen. Sometimes it works OK, other times I have to abandon my story for a while and hope that, when I come back to it, an ending presents itself. Best of luck! :-)
  • Jen - I have just written a thread "What's the plot?" before I read your query here. Is that any help to you?
  • thanks for ur replies!! Jay - I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who suffers from this. I often like to be surprised and let my subconscience do the work but it doesn't help really that I'm not good at rounding things off.
    Lexia, thanks for leading me to the thread. Was a useful observation and will bear this in mind when thinking of endings.
    I'm a bit lost atm as I keep having doubts as to whether or not I want to write fiction / whether I can or not. Do u know what though, I feel better gathering my thoughts by writing sometimes than by letting them go around my head and I'm concerned that my interest in writing goes no further than this, esp at the moment.
  • Jen, if I were you I would write anyway, anything that takes your fancy and don't worry about a finished product. But keep everything you write. When you go back to it later you will see ways you can develop it. Writing is actually re-writing, but you have to start off with something in the first place. So starting a piece don't put too many limits on yourself, let your imagination run free. The answers will come to you in time.
  • edited April 2008
    Even if all you are writing is comment and discussion on TB (sorry cancel the "even" word!) then you are writing. That's what I keep saying to myself anyway - writing is not a task to be endured ; unless of course you have a deadline for something someone is waiting for- but then, some of us work better under a little pressure, sometimes ! :)
  • Have just read that last post of mine (is it "post" or "posting" ? Last post always brings the sound of a beautiful trumpet to my ears !) and realise it is very contradictory in itself. So - go discuss the contradictions, people !
  • Thanks to flyingtart and lexia for the reassurance. Really helpful. Might forget about finished products for now and just get stuff down. Everything is saved on my laptop anyway and previous material is in notebooks so nothing will be thrown out. My laptop has been a godsend. I love it. My typing speed can keep up with my thoughts and the laptop is pink too!!! Altho I still have loads of pretty pads and pens I want to use but I'm really attached to the laptop!!
  • At the risk of grandmothers-and-eggs, do you back up your work on a regular basis?
  • Have you been watching that BT ad AGAIN, Jay ? :)
  • No, Lexia. I've heard too many horror stories about writers losing their work.
  • i'm backing up , don't worry altho haven't got a lot of actual work to lose at the mo. ta Jay