Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Goal Setting

edited April 2008 in - Writing Problems
I am sure there must be a thread about this somewhere already, but how do you go about this? How to you keep a note of short and long term aims, and make sure you keep to them? I have lots of ideas and plans to do this and that, but remembering them before the deadline looms, sometimes is a chore I can do without, specially as my brain picks and chooses for itself what it wants to remember. Oh and my diary? I've forgotten where it is.

Comments

• Why not keep a to do list in a Word document on the computer? I keep of list of articles submitted, when and where, and of articles I intend writing or have been asked to write. I also keep a list of articles published, when and where - it's encouraging when you add to the published list.
  • The above system works for me!
  • Hi Dora,
    I do similar to Stan, but at the begining of the month I write a list of things I wish to achieve before the month is out and then I print out a weekly calendar and break up my main list into four/five weekly slots, which I pin up by my desk. For example; April - week one - write one new chapter on novel, research article on such and such, submit invoices, etc. I find this easier than setting long term goals, such as 'complete novel by July' because I like the idea of ticking them off quicker:)
  • If you have Microsoft Works, there is a calendar feature. Fill out what your goals are in the week you want them completed by, set the reminder for up to a week in advance, and every time you switch on your computer a reminder screen pops up. You can delete stuff as you do it. You can also print out a copy if you want something to look at and lose! :)
  • That sounds good Midia. At the moment I just write out weekly goals - and then carry those forward I haven't achieved! But I like your idea of monthly goals broken up into weekly slots. I write my goals in a notebook - entitled 'Weekly Goals' - so, you're quite right, McB, that gives me something else to lose!
  • These are all good suggestions.
  • There's also the thread "Goals for the coming year..." in Writers' World, which may or may not be of use with the longer-term planning...
  • Stop it, Stan!
  • Stop what?
  • Giving my thread acne! Stop it Stan.
  • I shall join those dots up soon if you carry on.
  • You will? :P
  • No actually, I'm too busy reaching the goals I'd set earlier this month.
  • Good you for dora.
  • In fact, I've met those, and now I am starting some more.
  • Even better dora.
  • Thanks for your ideas everyone. I have MS Works McBemused and will try that but now I am off to the other thread amboline mentioned
  • Hi dora!
  • Hello Stan 1 hour late
  • I is still ere! :P
  • Is yer? well I int. I is off.
  • Bit late responding to this, Dora. I have a large sheet on which I write down everything that needs doing, both short and long term and including my writing. Each day I write down anything that has to be done that day - keep a dental appointment for example - and things from the list to total five. There are few days when I cannot fit in five different tasks and generally manage more, taking something else from the list if I still have time to spare. The writing tasks are broken into smaller units. For an article I would have research for one heading, 1st draft, edit and final rewrite for example. If photos ae required this would be another heading.

I could do this on a spreadsheet or a Word page but prefer the satusfaction of physically crossing completed items off the list. Not sure how this would fit with longer pieces of work but it works for me as I don't spend ages deciding what to do next. Each evening I select the items for the next day and add any new asks to the list. Would love to know if anyone else works a similar system.
  • Sounds good Wordy.
  • and I will consider it ... many thanks
  • edited April 2008
    Hello dora. :P
  • Hello Stan
  • Hey McBemused I've used that reminder system in Microsoft Works thanks and it works.