Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Its Lost!

2»

Comments

• I do save to my hardrive then to pendrives etc. I take one of mine everywhere with me. the other I leave in a safe place in the house. I've got two pendrives with my complete lot of novels, short stories etc on them. I also back up on to CD every now and again. And once I've finished the complete novel I put the whole thing on CD x2 just in case. I have like most of us managed to lose things in the past and have learnt my lesson, mostly. Although I'm sure I'll lose something else again, but I hope it won't be too soon, or anything major.
  • Good sense Butterfly.
  • Just a thought ... Are all your backups in the one place i.e. your house? If so, is this a good idea?
  • You might want to have a look at http://www.jungledisk.com/ It lets you set up a what looks like a an extra drive on your computer. But when you save anything to that drive, you are actually saving it to Amazon's datacentres.
  • is it safe?
  • edited April 2008
    "Is it safe?" - reminds me of Laurence Olivier and Dustin Hoffman in Marathon Man :)

Yep, it's safe. Your computer can crash, your house can implode, your city can be nuked, and your novel will still be sitting in Amazon's datacentre.

That said, the most common cause of data loss is user error, and if you delete, you delete it, and it's gone.
  • Oh the dreaded delate button!
  • HORRAYY!!!!!!!!!! Life is good again!!!

Just got a phone call:

My other half has found my memory sticks!!!!!! I'm soooo happy! Ok so I had started redoing the chapters but it just wasn't the same!! Now all that is sorted! I cannot express how easier this makes things. Not to mention that I had been a little worried about the one that was for work!

Horray!!
  • Brilliant, Emma! I'm dancing about with joy for you! Wonderful! Fantastic! Supe-duper!
  • Wonderful. Your sanity has been restored. :)
  • Cool! Well chuffed for you! :)
  • I hope you give him a big kiss:)
  • Of course niddy! He is my hero!!
  • I now have visions of him running down the High Street in tights and a cape, waving said memory stick:)
  • Great news, Emma! :-)
  • Hmmm that vision is quite funny! I won't tell him
  • Sigh of relief - lucky girl - don't let it happen again! :)
  • Oath time:

I Emma B, swear, upon this keyboard and my future writing, that never again either by accident or stupidity will I mislay my memory stick(s).

Signed

Emma B
  • And that you will back up your work immediately to the hard drive and CD!! :)
  • edited April 2008
    Good news Emma ! I don't use a memory stick (I have got one but maybe should use one and start hanging it around my neck like that author mentioned - but then, if I hung everything around my neck that I mislay on a regular basis I'd hardly be able to move !)

That Yahoo saving thing sounds smart. I often send stuff to a couple of my own email addresses. At least if computer got lost, broken or whatever I can access the info on another one. (I have a feeling probably someone already said this ...if so sorry)
  • That's great news, EB, you must be so relieved. You'll have to crack open a choccie bar to celebrate. :-)
  • Yes how should I celebrate....
  • Re my post last week - just proves the aliens do sometimes give things back after they've had a good look at them!

Let us know when you decide how to celebrate, so we can all join in!!
  • Do you know where they were.... In the shoe box of some shoes I bought! How stupid is that!!! They must have fell in there. I think the aliens were being sympathetic
  • Yay! So pleased for you :) I can imagine the relief as you got the call!
  • Thanks for the support everyone! You kept me sane throughout
  • Emma - Not a place you'd have thought of looking - until you wanted to wear the shoes!
  • Glad to hear that it has been found. Why was your other half looking in your new shoe box??? :)
  • Emma - Shame you can't change the title of this thread to "It's Found!".
  • edited April 2008
    To show his mum my new shoes (I think). They are quite pretty!
  • Pretty smart of him to find the memory thingy. Please back up eveything on hard disk and CD - regularly!!!
  • Will do now!!! Promise!!!
  • So pleased you found it EmmaB. Your experience has certainly made me think seriously about the backing up process.
  • Good news!

I use an online backup company, costs me £5.+ (few pennies) per month, worth every penny in case anything goes wrong at home. It backs up everything at 6 PM every day if I am on line. I try to be, to ensure the backup goes through.
  • Great news Emma - very pleased for you :)
  • Good to hear your work has turned up,Emma B. I know just how you have been feeling as I am still looking for an important envelope containing references I need. It's been missing three weeks now and I am down to relying on it turning up when I am looking for something else. At least I can say the desk has never been clearer and the chap who collected our recycling this week visibly staggered under the weight of the box so some good has come out of things.
  • Congratulations Emma, I'm so pleased for you. Like others here I hope you've now got umpteen copies of your book and anything else worth saving from your pendrive onto disc's or external hardrives and to your laptop/desktop's harddrive. I bet you went all light headed and giddy with delight when he handed it over. Maybe it is a sign that the book is well worth continuing.
    Emma you know your declaration above about never losing your pendrive again? Well you should add, but if I do, at least I'd have safely have other copies to depend on. ;)
    Good writing Emma.
  • Good news!
  • What a relief for you! Thank goodness you found it.
  • Hope it turns up Wordy xx
  • Wonderful news! Now I'm off to make hard copies of my ms.
  • Thanks, Emma B. Afraid I have yet to locate the elusive envelope but have now to put that project on hold as an editor I approached by email a couple of months ago has suddenly responded requiring a synopsis of the article I suggested. At least there is no deadline for the first project.
  • I don't know whether you have a floppy disk drive or CD but it might pay to also save on that as well as a precaution. At least you have some other means to fall back on. Hope that helps, good luck and hope you get it back,