Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Character names

What do we have to be careful of when naming characters. I have 'googled' several names that I have chosen for characters and have had hundreds, even thousnads of hits. Apart from avoiding the really obvious famous names, what else should I look out for? Unless I go Dickensian and make up ridiculous names I cannot see a way of coming up with ones that are not already used by hundreds of people.

Comments

• This is why books carry the 'the characters in this novel bear no relation to any persons living or ded' type disclaimer. Names are extremely difficult, in that regard, there are so many of us with the same name.
  • I did that. Wrote a character who was a convicted Paedophile, and then I read in the paper about a convicted Paedophile with the same name.
  • That is the problem.
    A year or so ago there was a case highlighted in the papers, a writer created a character who had done a number of illegal activities and gave him a name and a career. There was someone with that name, career and I think the same past associations. The author/publisher was taken to court and had to pay out vast sums. One of us posted the details on Talkback, and discussed the various problems.
    I suppose the way round it is to have a very different first name with a common name, and try googling that.
  • perhaps this explains why characters in books/films/tv dramas have such weird unlikely names - they are contrived/spelled to make sure that nobody has such a name.
  • Some of you may remember the thread about a character called Gladys Block. Bald, bearded, with one tooth and hairy feet - remember? Well, a month or two ago, I found out that there's a scientist/nutritionist called Gladys Block! Oops!
  • I just googled myself, no-one else with the name Feona Bowey (although I know of a writer called Fiona Bowie).

Quite impressed though, because I posted on TheTimesOnline webpage, there is a link to the top 50 Crime Writers with my name next to Patricia Highsmith!
  • Now I'm disturbed, there is an American Country and Western singer called Jack Ingram (although mine is an aspiring rock star).

I refuse to change names. Actually, I see this as a challenge. If I get so successful could I get rid of this guy off page one?
  • There surely must come a point where a name is so common you couldn't be held liable for any character's deficiencies e.g. David Smith.
  • If a writer used the name John Smith for a character and made him an awful person, many of the John Smiths in the world would take legal action. Probably a record number. What fantastic publicity for the book!

Mind you, you'd have to sell a lot of copies to cover the costs if they all won!!
  • Jenny, what are we doing???
  • How odd! And what great timing!!
  • I knew it! Jay and Jenny are actually the same person (hehe!)

Actually with all these Smiths I think I might have accidently logged onto the twilight zone!

Sketch from the Two Ronnies referring to a painting: Adam Smith giving Eve Smith a Granny Smith.
  • The only other 'me' I can find is a canadian politician. Us Dallings are rare.
  • Thanks for comments. I thought Follows was rare till I googled it!
  • There is light at the end of the tunnel here if you get yourself a copy of WriteItNow, there is a section under Ideas which has character names from more than one country. It's very nice software too. If you would like the address, just come back to me or go to www.ravenshead.com/co.uk. Do a search as I would not like to swear on the good book that I have given you the right email but it is well worth it. Hope I have helped with this tip
  • Opps, Was Gladys Block one of mine?
  • Be careful to avoid the pitfalls, Steve, like Ivor Bigun and Ben Dover and Thai Mi Cangrudownzport.
  • no need to pursue this one, people, Steve has not been active here since May, another TBer gone walkabout. This is an old thread, check the dates. Woll,it was very good of you to make the effort and the tip may well be of use to others who lock on to this thread, but my feeling is Steve has left us, at least temporarily.
  • Thanks, Dorothy.
  • Sorry, just need a comment here.
  • but of course, Coop, to be the last one on every thread - ???
  • I've recently got Newnovelist2 software - I'm using it to hopefully encourage me to write [it's doing well as I now have 6 characters instead of 1]. When you create new characters, if you want it to, it can create new names - apparently it has over 1 billion combinations. What I have been doing is getting it to bring up a few different suggestions and then pick the first names and surnames that I like the most and muddle them up.
    It brings up some very unusual names - it will also do the same for place names, objects and first lines if you are stuck.
  • Chippy13, welcome, why not go on the Welcome Writers thread and tell us all about you?
  • It has only just occurred to me to google my character names - some of which have come up when I searched - but I've been getting around it by slightly changing the names or the spelling.
    Although at the moment it is only my minor characters who have full names - the rest either just have a first name or are labelled 'my hero'.
    I suppose the names will come to me as I write - and get a feel for the character