Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Small problem with my Cursor

When I'm typing in Word, the cursor that used to be a long flashing line which was easy to see, has changed to a small flashing dot, which is not. Would one of you kindly be able to tell me how I can change my cursor back to the long line, please? I've been into Tools, View etc., but can't seem to work out where to alter it. Thanks.

Comments

• I went into Help but there is no reference to cursor.

Just like a car manual that tells you where the steering wheel is but never what you want to know.
  • edited May 2008
    Oh, I knooooooooow. :-)
  • Actually, I'm at home now and have tested it out here. Both my bedroom computer and laptop have the long flashing line so it must be the work computer and not the Word program as I'd thought. I won't be back at work until Monday so I don't suppose I'll have to worry about it for another couple of days.
  • edited May 2008
    Thinking of writing a manual - "101 ways to hog your own thread."

(Sorry folks- I'll slink away quietly now)
  • Always useful to know these things.
  • What? How to change the cursor, hog your own thread, or how to slink away quietly? :-)
  • all three?
  • why not?
  • Yes but all at the same time? Not physically possible is it? The slinky bit is baffling me. Are you really one of those springy things that only goes down the stairs and never up? Don't' you ever go up to sleep IG?
  • We dont necessarily 'go'up' to bed in this part of the world, Dora.
    Most houses are single story. Island girl may live in a house called a Queenslander, usually made of wood, which is single story but raised about eight feet off the ground.
    I presume for coolness but also to prevent snakes getting in. The houses are usually surrounded by trees or vegetation and I love them.
    Our house in New Zealand is quite big and made of brick but again only single story. It seems strange when in UK to be in a house where bedrooms are upstairs though having lived in one as a child.
  • I'm down the south end of the country in the state of Victoria, Pongo, so I don't have a 'Queenslander' either. My father was from the north though, so my Nan lived in one. We only saw her every few years or so but her house was a great treat for me and my siblings. That, and the fact she had a coconut tree in her front yard. Loved it!

You're right to say the height deters unwanted creatures getting in and for coolness (the height aids ventilation) but they're also designed that way as protection from flood waters. Some people lattice the lower space and top verandah.

Dora, you can find a lot of pics by typing Queenslander into google (if you so inclined) but here's a sort of typical one:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/71/178761411_6128651042.jpg?v=0
  • That's quite nice IG. Can see how it prevents flooding and wildlife indoors (are the wildlife bright enough to use steps!)
  • This brings back memories of my grandparents house in Wynnum, just outside Brisbane. When I last went to Australia I went to have a look and wished I hadn't, the area had become really run down and it felt very sad. I have such happy memories of the times I spent there when I was young.
  • Wynnum's a beautiful spot, Mutley.
    Yes, when you revisit places from your childhood it's often a bit of a let down isn't it. Everything seems so much smaller than you remembered it, or in your case, run down or just different. It's been many years since I was up in Mackay where Nan used to live and although a part of me would love to take a drive by her house again, there's another part that wants to keep the memories I still have.
  • I checked out your link IG. It is rainy here today. I am so jealous. :(
  • My mother took one of her grand-children to drive past her old house, which was two story, wooden) just as a bulldozer drove out of the front door and the house fell in a heap behind him. The street is now commercial and her site is a car sales agency. (sounds better than car-yard)