Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Setting The Scene

edited May 2008 in - Writing Problems
This is the part I struggle with the most, and tend just to get on with the story. How much is too much or too little? Is a preference thing?

Advice please!

Comments

• this is the tricky one, Stirling! Bit like information, it needs to be dripped in carefully. If you look at this: (it's the start of my Island book)
    London was a fascinating, ever changing, ever enchanting city in ordinary times, but now it was in celebratory mood, it really showed its lively face. The narrow, winding, dusty streets were crammed with people of all ages and all professions: street vendors collided with and importuned the clerks and clerics who were rushing here and there clutching papers, books and leather pouches which might – or might not – contain valuables. Pickpockets eyed the pouches and wondered but only took a chance when the throng was thickest and their crime unlikely to be discovered. Children darted through the crowds, making the most of the confusion to steal a pie here, a piece of fruit there, or if they were really fortunate, something they could sell. The May sun shone on the aristocrats who were arriving for the ceremony, it sparked colours from spur and sword, dagger and jewels, as well as highlighting the buxom wenches busy plying their trade, making the most of the good feeling sweeping through the Londoners. A Coronation brought everyone out onto the streets, old and young, rich and poor and, if you were smart, there was a chance to leave being poor behind and become rich for a while, for many were free with their money in such celebratory times.
    London’s tailors had worked far into the night to finish their commissions on time. Such a grand occasion meant every invited guest needed new clothes for it was a time to display wealth, rank and standing in court. Not that the tailors were complaining, the commissions had been many and rewarding, the long hours they and their apprentices had spent stitching had enriched them considerably.
    Edward Woodville rode through the throng, one hand on the hilt of his fine sword, the other guiding the thoroughbred chestnut gelding he had chosen from his stable that morning. He was wearing a new jewelled doublet which had been delivered late the previous evening. He had examined it closely for any defect but the garment was perfect, despite the heavy workload his tailor had complained of. He had given the man an extra gold coin and noticed his eyes light up. It had its own reward, paying extra for something. The next time he ordered new clothes, he knew he would get the very best attention.

I connected the lively London with work, with tailors, with Edward in his brand new doublet and in doing that, gave an insight into his character at the same time, he wanted value for money, always! Does this help?
  • That is great Dorothy, helps me a lot.

The idea for my novel is to have Newcastle as important as the characters, and all I ever do is describe buildings etc. Never occured to me to describe her character that I know and love.
  • use the background, your background, knowledge to fill in the gaps. I know London, having worked there for many years, especially in the City, which has featured heavily in a lot of my novels. I've been to Carisbrooke Castle now several times, walked the walls, been deeply moved by the emotions of those who are with me, which has given me a different insight into the place, so it comes over in the book as well as a living building, not a ruin open to the public courtesy of English Heritage.
    Think about Newcastle people, are they different, how do they speak, what do they do, what do they think and feel about their city, what background do the buildings have, are they ancient, modern, in between, listed, unlisted? Write them in as your people move around, the doorways, the porticos, the arches, the narrow alleyways between them, that kind of thing. Focus on the real, the closed spaces, the open spaces, the flowers, the dirt. Whoops, getting carried away here!

But, not only the opening of my book, but the excerpt I used for my Sense of Place article in WN clearly put Joby in his environment. Take another look.
  • Wow, thats brilliant. Thanks. They never tell you this kind of stuff in the 'how to' books.

I will most definitely re-read your article. I think you touch on an important point. I did a good job of scene setting in chapter one, but it then seems to go out of the window!
  • I was very impressed with The Life of Joby as a scene setting book, without it getting in the way of the story. I use a lot of my City influences in the books because I worked there during my really formative years, 15 - 30, exploring every alleyway, courtyard, street, graveyard - I began a book about 20 years ago set in the City, still needs to be finished ... I've revamped it about five times and still it sits there glaring at me, defying me to write it! I walked the ground, took the photographs, read the books ... (it's about the body snatchers) ... one day, when I get time ...

It's easy to let the scene setting go, if you aren't careful. I remember someone circulating a crime novel in a postal workshop and could not work out what was wrong with it, until it dawned on me that the writer had forgotten the corpse was a person and that person was missing from the story. It can happen with background, too. Look at each chapter objectively, walk with your hero or heroine through the streets of Newcastle, let them see what you see and what you feel as they do so. An oppressive underpass which they have to negotiate, a light airy square with trees which enchants in the summer but is a plague of dropped wet leaves in Autumn and nodding empty branches in the winter, ice cold benches which no one in the right mind would sit on, so why is that person sitting on one ... it goes like that, if you encourage yourself to think that way.

I'd better shut up now before I take over this thread completely!!!!!!!!
  • That's a nice opening Dorothy.

I felt like editing it, so here goes.

London was a fascinating ever changing city in ordinary times, but now it was in celebratory mood. The narrow dusty streets were crammed with people of all ages and professions. Street vendors collided with clerks clutching papers and books. Pickpockets eyed the pouches and wondered about taking a chance. Children darted through the crowds, making the most of the confusion to steal a pie here or a piece of fruit. The May sun shone on the aristocrats who were arriving for the ceremony, reflecting of their colourful swords, dagger and jewels. Buxom wenches were busy plying their trade, making the most of the good feeling sweeping through the Londoners. A Coronation brought everyone out onto the streets, there was a chance to leave being poor behind and become rich for a while, for many were free with their money in such celebratory times.
    London’s tailors had worked far into the night to finish their commissions on time. Such a grand occasion meant every invited guest needed new clothes for it was a time to display wealth, rank and standing in court. Not that the tailors were complaining, the commissions had been many and rewarding, the long hours they and their apprentices had spent stitching had enriched them considerably.

Edward Woodville rode through the throng, one hand on the hilt of his fine sword, the other guiding the thoroughbred chestnut gelding he had chosen from his stable that morning. He was wearing a new jewelled doublet which had been delivered late the previous evening. He had examined it closely for any defect but the garment was perfect, despite the heavy workload his tailor had complained of. He had given the man an extra gold coin and noticed his eyes light up. It had its own reward, paying extra for something. The next time he ordered new clothes, he knew he would get the very best attention.
  • So often the buildings we live around hold memories of our past and the past, and by careful use you can get over so much about your character, so you are using the description for another purpose- it isn't just there for the sake of having description.
    Dorothy's example is a very good explanation.
  • I like Dorothy's description. It builds up a picture in your mind which develops up as you read on. I get totally overloaded with some people's descriptions, but that place I could see.
  • Vijay,thanks for the edit but that's not the way I (or the people who work with me) write! I can see what you've done but you took out my writing quirks. It stays as it is, sorry to say, as it has been approved by several people, including my senior editor (who loved it) and is in the print shop at the moment, awaiting printing. Any time now ...

And, the children at that time stole to sell as much as they stole to eat, and you took that out. Not a good idea ... remember the time I am writing about, 15th century, and put yourself in that time, in that place,in that cut throat society, then add in a few writer's quirks to make your writing different from anyone else's. Then, add the final element, the target market, in my case locals and tourists, not historians or academics of any kind!

When you've done all that, consider your end product ...

Thanks for kind comments, TBers!
  • Wish you all the best with your book Dorothy. Your opening is still good!
  • curious...which coronation would that have been dorothy? it's a really good beginning. I'm still trying to figure out how to start my book.
  • edited May 2008
    which coronation, May 1465, the coronation of Elizabeth Woodville, queen to Edward IV. It was the seal on the rise of the Woodvilles, a family much hated at court. Few people had time for them but they are an essential and integral part of the history of that time, she, Elizabeth, is the mother of the Princes in the Tower.
    One of her brothers is my Earl. It was, as far as I am concerned, the only reason he was executed, forget the 'treason' bit, it was Richard of Gloucester, later Richard III, who wanted all Woodvilles removed, because he hated them. Another brother was Sir Edward, hero of my Island book. For me, they are an important family. I'm having a website created to give people information on them, with the help of master website builder and TBer, Mike Coombes.
  • cool...i kinda know one side of that story, I'm a sharon penman fan so you can guess which side i know...hee
  • I read Sharon Penman too, but am busy with my own historical novels to put the other side of the story!
  • Jemma, my only advice is start with a great hook.
  • You really shouldn't be too descriptive if you want to get published nowadays. Everyone knows what London is like. They've all seen it in tv dramas and movies. If you describe too much, you will bore your readers. Too much description just sounds old fashioned. Think of pace.
  • Oh, here we go ! ;)
  • Here we go, nothing. I'm just trying to help. If folks don't want to listen to good advice, by all means just keep writing badly. As I say, there's always the self-publisher waiting to take your money.
  • Why is your advice so pedantic, candy? That's what gets up my nose ! How many people say "this is my advice and it's obviously good "- which you appear to do, without ever giving us the opportunity to read your work ?

By the way , it's not the self-publisher that takes your money - because that's YOU (as in the author who is paying)
    It's the printer who takes the money . :)
  • Why is my advice pedantic? Try asking an editor that one! :) This is not my subjective opinion. If you don't believe me, just have a look at what's being published (by real publishers, I mean), and talk to publishing professionals. It's a fact that nowadays nobody wants a wad of description. If you want to set a scene in, say, London, all you have to offer is the bare minimum of visual cues just to set off the reader's imagination.

Point two: as I've said before, the reason I don't divulge my identity on this group is because I have never seen such hate and vitriol against publshed authors as on this group - tearing books apart on aeroplanes, constant snide remarks about successful writers (other than the dead ones, who are apparently more venerable), and so on.

Point three: so the self-publishers have become charities now? LOL! They've really got you brainwashed, haven't they, my dear?

Anyway, this thread isn't about why you shouldn't self-publish, or why I'm such a bitch... it's about setting the scene and a very important technical point of writing. I gave my advice as a published author, take it or leave it. It doesn't matter what genre a writer caters for, it's a fact that when confronted with a great big chunk of description on the first page, editors will just bin the ms.

So now I'll hand this back to the 'experts'....
  • edited May 2008
    Candy:
    point 1: few people know what London was like in the 15th century.
    Point 2: this is not the start of the book. There is a decriptive action packed Island named loaded prologue, and as this is for Island people, that is the right way to go.
    Point 3: I have beside me as I write this Boris Starling's book Vodka, which begins with a prologue and a chapter which describes Moscow, the regime and the people in great detail.
    Point 4: like it or not, and you won't, I am sure of that, the editor of a publishing house is coming to the Island soon to see me, to discuss in greater detail the new imprint of which I will be the major part. It begins with the Duke's book which also has to set 15th century life and places before the public.
    Point 5: Malcolm Welshman, a very successful published writer, James Barrington, a very successful published writer, for a start, have had nothing but praise, support and encouragement from TBers. Genuine talent by genuine people is applauded by us. Fake talent and bad writing is not.
  • I was about to say, Dorothy was describing a scene/event from London past. If a writer can do that well, as Dorothy does, then it's great to read. It would be a great pity if publishers felt it was no longer wanted wouldn't it?
  • description in books is very important, especially in setting the scene for a reader. Someone might picture 15th century england totally differently...so having the writer describe it really helps. of course you do get the other side of descriptive writing which is tedious...i haven't read it but was told by my sister that Tarka The Otter devoted a whole chapter to describing a tree...was that totally necessary...perhaps... Dorothy i loved that description and always appreciate descriptive writing.
  • I never said that description was not important. I only said that nowadays one can't be TOO descriptive. It doesn't matter if it's historical or modern. As I've said before we've all seen tv dramas and movies.Tarka the Otter was written a long time ago, writing has changed since then. You only have to look at what Simon Scarrow does. He NEVER over describes. The only writers who can still get away with it are the ones that are already established. I can understand why you thing D's piece is good, you want to give support, and that's nice.But one should really try to be objective. I never let any of my friends read my stuff before sending it to my agent, because they'll always tell me it's great. My agent is the one who tells me if it's not up to scratch and I listen carefully to what he says and then do a rewrite - no hard feelings. You guys are a bit too sensitive IMO. That's probably why a lot of you are drawn to self-publishing.
  • Yeah, but when JB offered to do a Q and A session on this group, which many aspiring writers would kill for, nobody on this group was interested! What does that tell you?
  • firstly, it depends on what your target market is and what type of writer you are to whether you use lots of description or not...yes i have read some good books that don't use much description but i have also read many many books that use lots of description...
    and no i was not just giving support...i truly believe that was a good descriptive peice that set the scene of 15th century london perfectly...now maybe you don't like descriptive writing...that's your choice...we all have our own opinions as to what is good writing or not...and it would be nice if you didn't beat down anyone who doesn't write what you like. And what is so wrong with self publishing. Christopher Paolini's parents published his book and then a big publisher contacted him and asked to publish his book!
  • and who is JB?
  • edited May 2008
    How about a senior editor being objective? How about friends who are honest enough to tell it like it is? I have had sensible, constructive comments and criticism from those I mention in my book, those who are not afraid to tell me the truth, because they have no financial vested interest in the book.
    I have had such STUPID comments from agents, not only those I have approached, but heard from other published writers too, that I have no time for their opinions. What do you do, for example, when they say something is publishable, worthwhile, take you on and then say no it isn't going to sell, sorry???? What about the one who wanted me to alter the end of the Duke's book 'because it's too sad, he dies!' well, yes, it is recorded history, you know ... or the one who said they only take fiction, as if an autobiography of someone dead for over 500 years is actual fact ... or the one who wanted to read it and then told me they don't touch historical fiction ... Candy, if you choose to rely on the word of your agent only, I feel sorry for you and your future career.

Sensitivity doesn't come into it. If it did, people on here would not go to YWO and other critique sites.

Boris Starling's book was published 3 years ago. Not quite as far back as Williamson.

Q and A? You baxe your opinion of us on that? Candy, I have to ask, been dying to for an age, why the hell do you come on here? You don't like any of us, you don't join in anything that is half way fun, but do you spend an inordinate amount of time criticising rather than being friendly. Is this you, your alter ego, or what?

PS: I have been a published writer for nearly 30 years. I have 12 novels to my (different) names. The comments on here are not support, but people's honest opinions. That counts more than any support.
  • In professional writing, writers never describe for the sake of describing - the description always underpins a second purpose - often to persuade

taken from: http://www.englishbiz.co.uk/mainguides/describe.htm
  • Actually, my career is going pretty well, thanks. And that's because I listen to my agent and editor's advice and write accordingly. That's what a pro does, and that's why I'm a published author. I'm really sorry if you have problems with publishers and agents, but it's doesn't surprise me with the attitude you have. A professional listens to advice and does what the publisher wants.
  • if my publisher told me to make my horses talk in my novel i would say no. i wouldn't just follow him blindly. that's just not right. i am the writer and the publisher chooses me for what i have written. sure i will listen to suggestions but i wouldn't follow him blindly, i would see how his ideas work with what i am writing.

and why do you find it so easy to put down other people. You act so high and mighty as an apparently "published" author. even if i knew what you wrote i wouldn't read it because your attitude stinks. Come on. This site is meant for published and unpublished authors to discuss writing and just have a good time. Not to criticise us for what we write. as i have already said we all have different tastes...so would you stop writing this nonsense.
  • Attitude? Like it!
    I didn't say I had problems with publishers. I said I had problems with the scatty opinions of agents. Read the post properly! I also said it was other people's comments and experiences as well as my own!
    I didn't say your current career, I said your future career. Agents do not appear to know their markets any more.
    I have had 12 novels published. Does that tell you I have problems with publishers? I think not! The company currently interested in my series is one who has published my books already. He knows me and is enthusiastic about my work and my experience. Does that sound as if I have problems with publishers? I think not!
    When Bodley Head paid me a development fee for my teen novel, I rewrote it according to their needs and they took it. Does that indicate an attitude? I think not.
    I have been an editor for nearly 14 years, Candy. I have a pretty good idea of what's right and what isn't. My 'attitude' comes from a long career in writing, on both sides. I think a (close on) 30 year writing career makes me a professional. It does in most people's eyes anyway. How many books have you had published? Were they only here or in the States as well, as mine are? Have you worked long distance with the senior editor of a leading publishing house in New York, as I have?
    Please read posts carefully before commenting on them, and you won't make errors in your responses.
    Still waiting for an answer as to why you bother to come here, BTW
  • Jemma= JB is writer James Barrington.
    Candy, I know a member was interested in taking him up on the Q&A session, not sure if it was arranged or not. And I know he is doing a number of books at the moment, so it may be sometime before we see him again.
    If you are doing so well Candy, and you consider the rest of us so objectionable, I can only assume you have masochistic tendencies as you keep coming back.
  • Damn it! I've been missing all the fun because of writing these essays!
  • Huh ! Me too stirling !!! And I made a promise to Carol this morning....and now she went back on the agreement ! Drat ! :) :) Joking Carol

Anyway, my best friend's Uncle's brother in law, has a friend who's Aunt knows a man on her street who once talked to a woman who had a discussion with her mother's next door neighbour about "setting the scene", editing, AND publishing. So therefore I do not feel the need to comment further on this thread. (smug smiley)
  • nice one lexia!
  • love it, Lexia!