Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Rising Conflict

edited May 2008 in - Writing Problems
I have been working on my plot outline for my novel and seem to have problems with the middle part. Does anybody else struggle with this? I seem to find it hard to think of what kind of obstacles/complications and problems the character should come up against. Any advice would be great!

Comments

• Yes, the saggy middle bit.
    Seperate sub plots, or sub plots that tie into the main plot.
    What sort of obstacles and conflicts you can inflict on your character depends on them. After all, something that is a minor irritation or set-back to one person, can be a major crisis to another; and equally so how they react and resolve it-if they do.
  • Basically, Helen, we all run into conflicts all day every day. The trick is to walk your characters through life, who do they come up against, where would they rub someone up the wrong way? You need to look at life, as in LIFE rather than in terms of a plot, and see what comes out of it.
    Example, my day so far. Walk down the road to car park, see workmen digging up the pavement. No confrontation but if they had been blocking the road or made some sexist comment ...
    Politeness from other drivers at the Sorting Office, nothing going on there but in the past a few angry looks have been exchanged when thoughtless people block my getting out of the parking space again.
    driving, always the possibility for road rage.
    Arriving at work, emails, letters, anything could have provoked an argument.
    I will go home and find a scratchy daughter who will want me to go shopping, more opportunities for rage!
    Walk your people through their lives, who do they interact with, are they in business, plenty of opportunities there for arguments and conflict.
  • edited May 2008
    i feel the middle should contribute to the beginning and the end. Clues and snippets could be hidden inside the character's actions and conversations.
    Otherwise you could use the saying:
    Chase your character up the tree
    Throw stones at them
    How are they gonna get down?
    That's beginning, middle and end.
  • I love that summary Tessadragon. :)
  • Thanks a lot everyone! This is very useful, I'll see how I go with it. I think I'm finding it hard as I read somewhere that things need to get more and more difficult for the character. So I'll need to think of problems which get more and more difficult.
  • You want to see conflict, just wait until I phone my letting agent tomorrow. I have a bedroom light that doesn't light and a washing machine that's just bust. The owner has promised to come and fix them twice, and has twice failed to show up. I'm starting to feel like we are being fobbed off now . . .

But yes, I have a saggy middle. The way I've toned it is to raise the plot to a psychological battle between the major characters.
  • Yes, Helen. Everything after Chapter 3 is ALWAYS a struggle for me.
  • Hi Stirling! That's really annoying, I hope you get it all sorted out. Thanks for your tip about the writing.

Hi Island Girl! I hope we get past this struggle with the middle part. :o) By the way, how do you get the picture next to your name? I tried to do it yesterday but failed. This probably sounds really stupid! :o)
  • There is a sticky at the top of the main threads page, you will find the details in there. (Neph won't be around this weekend, so someone else will help if you need it.)
  • Thank you for asking this, Helen. I've found the responses really interesting and helpful for my own novel.
  • Thanks Carol - I went to the Account Options page, and then went onto 'Personal Information'. I looked under the 'Icon' section, and there is a link provided. I pasted the link into the box so I've got a space for the picture next to my name, but how do I get the pictures to come up to select one I like? I bet it's so obvious as well. :o)

I'm glad the replies has helped you as well, Megrose.
  • You need to do the same as with the icons. Find the picture you like from an appropriate free pictures website and type the URL into the appropriate space in the accounts page. Beyond that is too technical for me.
  • Helen your a gem for starting this thread, and all those that answered are angels. The couple of books I have on writing & conflict obviously have to limit the amount they can offer up as examples, and here TB has produced a gold mine. I have been writing notes while reading, realising that all those rediculous things that occur during our daily lives are fodder for the novel - council inspectors not turning up to sign off completed house extensions, finding only cold water has been plumbed in to hand basin when shower has both hot & cold, plumber trying to sell the positives of why cold water only is ok, finding out after the painting is done & curtains & carpet are in that council wants 4 coats of paint plus an undercoat instead of just two plus undercoat, discovering 3 new fire detectors will only work if not attached to a wall or ceiling - the possibilities are endless, but without someone drawing my attention to these I would not have realised how much conflict goes on in our daily lives - who needs road rage, council inspectors cause enough rage without me taking to the road.
  • Nicole, every part of life is a conflict, as you found out. Drip that kind of background into your books, stories, articles even. Everything is usable. My article in a recent edition of Writers News, on a place for your people to live, included comments on the mad summer I had with a gay couple living opposite. Outrageous in the extreme, they would shout across the (busiest road in Ryde) street to me, our windows were on a level, things like "you coming over tonight, Mamma Dee? If you are, bring your own rubbers!" imagine the strait laced old ladies ... everything is there for grabs. use it!