Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Inspiration required.. i'm stuck.

edited May 2008 in - Writing Problems
I know the good folk of TB will leap to the rescue. I am doing a WB writing course and amboline's success has inspired me to have another go at it. But i really REALLY dont know what to write about. I'm supposed to write several articles suitable for magazine submission (non fiction) and i guess i'm really not that interesting as i have nothing to say and ABSOLUTELY NO B****Y idea what to write!

I love horses, cats, writing (of course) but i dont feel i'm qualified to write anything suitable for those markets! Help! ANY suggestions welcome (polite or otherwise). Its actually making me feel abit miserable as i seriously cant think of anything.

Comments

• It is surprising that if one has to write on a particular topic one can work out ones own angle on it.
    The secret in topic finding is to allocate yourself a topic and then to persue it regardless of sideline distractions.
    Any help.
  • you know how it is when you get an idea/inspiration to begin writing something and your ideas change and you end up writing something completely different?
    It must have been frustrating when people had to write with a chisel on stone, or other forms of inscription - the Romans, I think, used clay tablets to write to each other. This might be worth investigating for an article, the different methods through the the ages, or in different cultures, different materials eg wood, clay,reeds, etc.
    Any help?
  • have a look at some horse magazines, see if there is a place for your thoughts, ditto cats. The cat market is a big one. Write something vaguely humorous perhaps?
    What about your days? Think about your days the way we were thinking about conflict, where you go, what you see, your thoughts on shopping, travel, etc.
    Have a look at women's magazines and where you might find something suitable for a readers' letter, see if it will expand into an article. I've written about housework, house plants, emotional problems (always a good seller!) - for starters.
  • Just jot down a list of things that irritate you about everyday life- I got really annoyed at the scan and pay systems that many stores are bringing in, and it turned into an article about how the self service system developed and brought it up to now with a tongue in cheek advice of when you should avoid these devices.
    (If you didn't see it when I put the link up a few weeks ago- it can be found at http://www.nottinghamshiretimes.co.uk/ShoppingDIY.html )

Have a look at what sort of things are appearing in magazines currently- then apply that to your list.
  • actually bill it is! I must say for the first time in a few days i've had to have a little chuckle as i imagine all those poor men tapping away on stone tablets! Imagine trying to screw the huge lumps of stone up and chucking it in the bin! I wonder if writers would have to have a seperate recycle bins.
  • Gosh whilst i was typing to bill (it took awhile!) dorothy and carol nipped in! Do you think i'm just being alittle to serious about things? I think maybe i have gone alittle to indept with my research. Everything these days - at least for the animal markets- seems to be written by vets! I guess i could do an article on moving pets abroad. We have moved 4 cats and 3 horses from uk to france.

What sort of magazines would want more general interest items? You both have mentioned fantastic ideas - where would i pitch them? (thats one of the things i need for the assignment).
  • Amanda. I like the idea of an article about moving pets abroad. Having moved three dogs from the UK to Spain I know hte problems and what is needed etc. but many people don't. It could be offered to the many mags that are out now about living abroad e.g. everything Spain.
  • edited May 2008
    That's a good idea Amanda- you'd not only have the pet magazine market but the type of magazine Cooper mentioned.
    Most of the womens' magazines have articles, but it does vary on what they will except from freelancers.
    But the pets moving abroad idea would be very useful- personal experience is invaluable. And both Mutley and Cooper have personal experiences of this.
  • Amanda, pick any topic and start looking into it. You'll be amazed at what you find. I did this as an exercise recently - chose the most mundane thing I could think of (a gorse bush as I was passing one at the time), and ended up with an article that was shortlisted in the Countryside Tales article comp. I'm not a botanist or anything else that would qualify me to write about gorse. All I did was a load of research, plus go into the garden and eat a gorse flower so I could truthfully say what it tasted like. (It's life on the edge as an article writer, you know.) Go for it.
  • What does a gorse flower taste like Highland Midge?
  • That's what I was going to ask. :)
  • Did you have with chips?
  • What sort of fish?
  • Remind me not to use that particular form of research when writing about horse poop! Well done HM for the shortlisting.

Where on earth did you find enough info on the gorse? i'm totally thick about using the web to find things!
  • Old fish. What a disappointment after the gorgeous coconut scent.

I had a couple of books on native plants at home, and I googled gorse in conjunction with things that I imagined it might be connected to - herbalism (applies to just about every plant on the planet as far as I can see), local names, farming, food, etc. Then followed links from one site to another. Wikipedia is quite a good starting point. You just need to make sure you cross-reference if you're using the internet, to make sure the info has some authority. That can bring up some interesting differences which you can also follow up.

I think the sifting of info is one of the main skills in writing articles. Then making it sound lively.
  • You could always try one of those 'list' items that mags are so keen on - '10 things you didn't know about...'
    And it's not too soon to be thinking of Christmas articles - or, as it's for your course so can be saved to fit later, any other festival.

10 things you didn't know about

Shakespeare?
    St Swithin
    Independence day? etc etc
  • Amanda, google everything! Google it in various ways. For example, pets going abroad, google quarantine laws, transporting pets, put the thought in the search box as many ways as you can. It will bring you a variety of links and you can pick and choose your sources, then add your own experience to the article. I had to transport a dog to Spain once, I could have done with someone helping me back then!
  • Heather's idea of '10 things you didn't know about....' connected with moving pets abroad sounds good. You could even make some of it humorous aswell as useful.
  • That's an even better idea.
  • Thanks so much for all your advice. How do you sift through all that stuff on google! My word i've never seen so many pages! i think i'll be busy for a bit.
  • Patience. :)
  • Why don't you write something from a layman's pov? You say you like animals but don't know much about them. Have you got a dog or a cat? If so, why not just write about your experiences with them. For instance, the day you brought your puppy or kitten home. You could inject a bit of humour and drama. Just because it's non-fiction doesn't mean you can't embellish! As a matter of fact, popular mags don't really appreciate a long dry article.
  • If it helps, the current issue of Computer Active has a long article about refining Google searches.
  • thanks candy, i think maybe i'm getting alittle 'heavy' and abit technical about things so i think i'll try the layperson approach.

Jenny, thanks for the tip i'm in the uk in a week or so and i'll nip and get a copy. I can't BELIEVE how much stuff is out there!
  • carol i dont know about patience! its just mind blowing 337,555 results just for one little search! i bet the info i want is on page 337,555!
  • It's issue 268 (29th May to 11th June) and costs £1.59.

Alternatively if you put: refining google searches into a google search (which is what I just did!), you could probably find out straight away! Try it first without quotes round the words - the results on the first page look more interesting!
  • Now that is useful to try Jenny. I get frustrated when I can't refine my results down more. :)
  • Amanda what about taking your dog on holiday in Europe - it would be a good one for the summer. The bit that would catch most people out is finding a vet to do the health check between 24 and 48 hours of the return journey - something that told people what they needed to know on this would be good. With horses how about something like 'a guide for parents whose child wants a horse but who know nothing about them' (bozos' guide!) Ordinary folk don't know what hte options are for where you can keep a horse etc. Come to that 'riding idea to occupy your child in the summer'. These all work for mainstream / regional / newspaper publications.

Good luck
  • Hi Amanda, dont know if your still looking for ideas but I see you "like" horses, cats etc. Well I have horses, cats, dogs, and a cat who thinks she is dog, in my life so the following topics may stir up some interest as they tend to draw a lot of commentary in the animal world:

Horses: to shoe, or not to shoe - that is the question
    The debate rages back here where our horse grazes, for example my daughters horse is a thoroughbred and has been shod for the past 14 years. He is a "rescued" ex-race horse, was retired because he tended to injure himself alot (bearing in mind he was only 3 at this stage), and didnt do well on the few times he was on the track. Anyway, he has shows from spring to early winter, then gets go shoeless for the winter. Sometimes he has to be in shoes all year round because if he is going in any events, the shoes help steady him in yukky weather, and if he has any tenderness in his legs the shoes give him some firmness etc etc. Well our boy grazes with several horses, one of them being another TB, and he is also a rescued horse from the meat works so to speak. His owners have schooled up on natural horsemanship and all other things natural, and the horse does not wear shoes at all at any time of the year, and does not get a cover during the wet/cold months - reason being "they dont have shoes and covers in the wild". Farrier & other horsey people alike who have had more experience with horses all comment that this particular horse was never "in the wild", he has been shod and worn covers for most of his life. TB's were never wild full stop. They were bred for the race and track conditions. Now were this horse a rescued "Kaimanawa" horse (check out wikipedia for more professional definition, but essentially this is a horse that roams free in the hills in central north Island of NZ & every now and then conversation dept goes out and rounds up as many as possible to cull the herd, and horse enthusiasts who know alot about kaimanawa help find appropriate placements for as many as possible), now if the domestic/TB horse had been raised in the wild then well'n'good but TB's are not, and as such have not evolved over time any mechanisms to adapt to "wild". Well the debate goes on.

Another topic: should townies be restricted to the number of cats they can have in one household - there have been rumblings here and in Australia I think, that there should be a restriction to say two cats, as opposed to someone I know who has nine cats. (We have six but I live on three acres in the country and I ensure they are all speyed & neutered). There are neighbours to be concerned about (in the city) their gardens being dug up etc, some consider cats to be "dirty" animals, domestic cats that have been left behind by previous owners roam and if not desexed cause a lot of problems with fighting; kittens are left abandoned by mother cats & end up having litters of their own; the little birdlife in the city is at risk of dessimation from both feral and tame cats. On the reverse of this argument though is that most cat owners are responsible, and desex their cats, have them vaccinated, and fed so they dont tend to wander too far, and some put bells etc on cat collars so the birds can hear the cats coming. It is interesting that local council dont suggest that families should restrict the population of humans - i.e. only so many babies per family, because of the "potential" trouble they may cause, and the contribution they will make to an already deteriorating environment i.e. they may end up owning a car, they may pollute the air with sounds of loud music, they may roam the streets at night, spray can in hand etc. Crazy idea but may give you something to write about in amoungst all that.
  • "Cats + writing" could equal an article on famous literary cats throughout the ages. You could range from Garfield and Korky right through to Blofeld's cat in the James Bond stories, or Paul Gallico's Jennie. Target audience could be a cat lovers' magazine, a light literary mag, or even something in the People's Friend vein.
  • I was queing up in Smiths the other day and was stood beside the pet section, and there looked to be at least three cat magazines.
  • We have a trained cat. Lots of people don't think they can be, but they can.

Ours was a rescue cat, she'd been taken back to the shelter 3 times as she had constant diarrhea. I did a food diary and found she had an allergy to maize, probably brought about by being taken away from her mum too early and fed proprietary cat food (maize is in them all).

So you could write about the fact that things like this can happen, ask for quotes from a vet etc.

When we took her down our vets she was quite ill. They also offered homeopathy -so you could write about that as well -alternative therapies for animals. Do they work?

Because Milla could not eat maize or grains, we had to keep her out of the kitchen so she didn't pick up crumbs. She will not cross the threshold now, she sits and watches us. We trained her with a water pistol -it works a treat. We used it to keep her off surfaces we did not want her on, like shelves with ornaments etc. It even worked when she HAD been allowed to do something -she used to be able to sit on the sofas but when we got new ones i didn't want cat hair on them so we used the water pistol on her any time she leapt up, and now she never attempts to get on. She does however know she can leap on our lap when we are sitting on them. There is a also a Russian who has taught cats to do all sorts of things using just treats.

Don't know if any of this will give you ideas.

A way of finding things to write about is to do an internet search - strange facts about cats, or dogs or horses or whatever.
  • Hi amanda theres an old saying I have heard quite a lot mentioned about in books and it maybe of us to you which write you know about i.e horses etc, or write what you like reading about i.e fantasy, etc, or you could write about both horses and cats togeather in a short story, its up to you of course and it has been done before. just do some research and decide upon a theme and a setting i.e a stable would be good a go from there.

Phil.