Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

around or round?

edited June 2008 in - Writing Problems
Is it-
I want to turn round and go back or I want to turn around and go back? I get these confused.
Thanks.

Comments

• Have a feeling someone asked this recently. Around sounds more formal.

For a bit of light entertainment - AKA Dead Or Alive - go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMwdAc1Dzfg
  • I have this problem, too!
    It seems that the way I use these words is common in America, opposite to the normal practice here.
    I say 'around' the garden - normal practice (or is it practise) is 'round' the garden.
    I might have a fence around my garden. Others have the fence round the garden.
    I look around - others look round (O)
    I turn around and go back.

Not much help! :-)
    ========================

Read Fowler - he is interesting
  • Practice/ise is just like advice/ise - well, it is if you're in Britain.
  • Literally, "turn round and go back" would mean turn your body in a circle and then go back to where you came from.

"turn around and go back" would be turn to the direction you came from, then go back. I think !! :)
  • It has to be "around" surely, bill.

"round the garden" would be only possible if the garden was actually "round". Same with the fence - you may have a round garden and a fence circling it. And if someone "looks round" then I suggest they go on a diet !! ;)

As Jay says, practice/advice is the noun, practising/advising is the verb bit !
  • How about around of applause for Lexia! :-)
  • Lexia, looking decidely round because of the celebratory things she had consumed last night, decided to take a walk around her garden. Wouldn't this space be improved if it was made circular, then I could put round stones, pots and other such ornaments around the edges , she thought ? Perhaps I could even put a post in the centre and tie the dogs on long leads to it, thus allowing them to go around and around, and become less round themselves. On second thoughts she realised this was not a well rounded idea..and slunk off to the bath (which is around here somwehere but not round in itself)

OOPs !! Sorry - this should have been on dialogue thread ;)
  • Fowler says:
    ... in the American Dictionary are the following, all of which are unnatural for an Englishman 'I ran around' 'He turned around' 'The earth turns around on its axis' 'Go around to the post office' ' The church around the corner'

Apart from 'earth turning around...' the others are what I would normally say, but Fowler implies that they are wrong.
  • I'd say go round the shop/post office- run around the field- he turned round or he turned around.
    There may be some regional variations of course. It is another one of those confused by time and practise.
  • Thanks all, but I am still confused in fact I'm going around ( round) the bend now!
  • And 'around of applause' should read 'a round of applause'! Or as the chairman of our history society says 'Put it together for ...' when he wants us to clap in applause.
  • Yes Stan, it was meant to be a joke...! :-)
  • OK, I know! And I was teasing!!
  • Is there an easier way to remember practise and practice, Jay? I always get those two confused, too.
  • Practise is the verb - to do something like practise the piano

Practice is the noun - the name of something - a doctor's practice. A doctor practises medicine, but he may practise his piano playing at weekends.
  • Anyway, back to the important stuff

who's round is it?
  • make mine a double!
  • Burp. Round and round the garden like a dizzy bear, one step, two step, aaaaaargh fall down there.
  • I've just written "he went through the daw" (I think I may have had one too many of FT's doubles!!
  • Hi, Island Girl. I'm assuming Aussie spelling of these words is the same as British (American is different).

Swap your practice/ise word for advice/ise and hear which sounds more logical. It's easier to spell advice and advise as they're pronounced differently.

For instance, we say "I advise" - so it's "I practise". And "My advice" - so it's "My practice".

Your computer may help, if it highlights odd spellings.
  • Thanks for this Jay. I understand what you mean, now. I really think this will finally help me sort them out. :-)
  • If that's the end of the English lesson, can we all go out to play now?!! :D
  • Sorry Jenny. You are free to play. I am going to bed. Goodnight. :-)
  • Night IG. :)
  • Nighty night, Carol and everyone else. There's no sleeping face so I'll smile again. :-D
  • have to take issue with one or two. One would have to take a stroll round (or even around) a garden even if it were square.
    What other option would one have.
  • NOT to stroll round or around the garden?