Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

adjectives in novels

edited June 2008 in - Writing Problems
At the back of my mind I have a feeling that using adjectives is lazy (I think a how-to book by John Braine I read in my twenties is to blame). So I know the difference between the "mot juste" and a pile of sloppy adjectives but has anyone got any guidance please?

Comments

• are we talking short stories or novels, or generally?
  • Novels please. About 75000 word novels
  • Would like to respond to this - but haven't a clue what you mean aeschylus ! Using adjectives is lazy? er........ what?
  • You need adjectives and adverbs to for description. For example 'very'/'beautiful'/'dark' etc. Eradicate too many and your asking for rejections. They aren't lazy, but there is a danger of 'fine' writing.

Don't over use them, one per sentence maybe. I've read some manuscripts containing three or more.

I know where you are coming from, particularly if you have been a fan of modernist writers. I admire Ernest Hemingway, but that is his style not mine.
  • I believe adjectives/adverbs are ok if not over-used. I certainly use them.

'He stood close to her.'
    'He stood very close to her.'

Yes, an extreme example but it lets the reader know he is almost next to her as opposed to close by.
  • Adjectives, when used properly, add to the meaning of a sentence. Writing looks very bare without them.
  • Good example Marc. Using the word 'very' adds a claustrophobic/intrusive air to the sentence.
  • Hi aeschylus, good to see writers concerned with the craft of writing. I struggle with this myself, but on the whole less is more.
    Though I think personal writing style comes into it as well.

eg. Daniel ran quickly to catch the man in front, grabbing hold of him he immediately realized that the thief was his neighbour.

edited version- Daniel ran to catch the man, grabbing him he realized that the thief was his neighbour.

Using less adjectives/adverbs allows space in my humble opinion. ie space for the reader to imagine. Everything doens't have to be shown or spelt out.
  • Well -you don't need quickly after 'ran' as it's implicit. 'Immediately' is also really - after all if he doesn't start beating the living daylights out of the culprit, or saying something, you are going to know that it is is immediate, rather than he's left it for a while. Plus unnecessary adjectives should be left out of anything in which you want to imply speed. So maybe that's not too good an example.

Personally, like Stirling, I think it also depends on what type of book you are writing.

I prefer fewer.
  • Seem to remember Stephen King in "On Writing" advises against the (over) use of adjectives and adverbs. To my mind, he goes a bit too far - but as others have said, it's a matter of style.

When entering short story competitions I'm usually surprised how many words I can manage to cut - and how my writing always looks better for it.
  • My earlier stories - some published, but we're editing them out when we get to second editions (I didn't know any better) - are littered with adverbs, some pointless.

"I'm sorry," he said apologetically.

There was another examply, but my short-term memory is caput (spelling?).
  • Naughty Jay!

Personally Vijay, I would find that sentence very dull. I would have written something like:

"As Daniel ran, he could feel the pull on thigh muscles and his lungs labouring to keep up. Grabbing the thief with a Rugby tackle, he recognised his neighbour".
  • v. good stirling. You could then add- they sat down to have tea. ;-)
    i can see that you're heading towards the literary genre from your last few comments. did u like the God of small things?
  • A very hard story (plot wise) to read. My tutor (who's research interest is post-colonial literature) and myself ended up having a conversation about how much we admired that kind of rich writing style.

It might explain why I don't like this 'tabloid-speak' of the majority of bestsellers.
  • Good morning - just popped in very briefly on my travels in France.
    Agree with a lot of the above posts. How one writes depends a great deal on style, genre and what one is writing about. When it comes to travel writing obviously I use adjectives because I am describing places, people etc - although I do like to split it up a bit with similies and metaphors too.

p.s. loved The God of Small Things
  • I think adjectives put life into what would otherwise be very flat writing.

Very jealous claudia!
  • Where in France? (I typed 'Where is France?' but realized I knew that.)
  • Dear Jay, are you suffering from insomnia?
  • edited June 2008
    Yes! I often have trouble sleeping for more than three hours at a time. But I did go to bed at half past nine. Woke about midnight, then fell asleep until three. Probably due for another doze soon.
  • Cripes. I go through phases. But I don't get up, I lie there irritatingly not awake or asleep...
  • Some of my best writing has been done about one o'clock in the morning.
  • Hello Claudia.

It is true that less is more in so many things, but there are some writing styles and scenes where you can't avoid having more.
  • Good morning Carol
  • Good morning!
  • Good morning Kangaroo - now which adjectives describe you?
  • Are cute and bouncy adjectives?
  • Grabbing the thief with a Rugby tackle, he recognised his neighbour".
    this is an example of the kind of writing which drives me bananas. Forget adjectives, it's these dangling participles which get me! (Richard Bell, esteemed grammar editor of WN did a long piece on this some years back)

He grabbed the thief with a rugby tackle (no capital, it's not the place) and realised it was his neighbour.

What's wrong first time? It's reminiscent of the

closing the door, he took off his coat. Picking up his drink, he walked across the floor. I find it everywhere. The classic was in a book I rejected ...
    Rushing into the hall he came to a screaming halt. ?????????????? One or the other, please! (actually the book was FULL of such sentences, which is why I rejected it. I could alter one or two but every other line????)
    Now, you cannot do two things at once unless you say you are doing two things at once. He closed the door with his elbow (or foot) as he took off his coat.
    That you can do. Closing the door, he took off his coat. It's clumsy, IMO.
    Yes, we can write without (some) adjectives, but we should also write without dangling participles. They do aggravate and are really lazy writing.
  • I was told that instead of adjective+noun or adverb+verb you should try for a stronger noun or verb instead.
    e.g. 'very beautiful' could be 'stunning' or 'walked' slowly' could be 'ambled'. It makes for a tighter piece and more precise use of vocabulary.
  • that's good advice, Heather, something we should think about.
  • A lot of this is a bit like being asked if chocolate biscuits are fattening. Of course they are if you eat nothing else. But life would be very dull without them altogether. I also indulge now and again in the well placed cliche which, to my mind, and used sparingly, add life and colour to a piece. So when somebody objected to my use of the phrase ' Eyebrows were raised when...' , I simply thought piss off you old fart :). And as for Stirling's 'thigh muscles' and 'labouring lungs'. Well honestly :). Dorothy, not for the first time, got it right.
  • So where are these "thigh muscles"?

I am being serious, trying to glean as much as poss here folks. :(
  • Sorry for that Dorothy, I wrote it after just being awake for 10 mins!

I half-thought about saying something about looking into the face (but was in a rush!). I would normally tighten this kind of senetence in an edit.

Sorry Neil, but I wouldn't get rid of the thigh or lungs. By just saying someone was running means nothing to me. Was he sprinting or going at a slow jog? Is he fit? Has he ran for 30 seconds or several minutes and tiring?

I feel the original 'ran' is me being told what happened, but by adding description allows the reader to experience the story.
  • good point Stirling- if the character is breathing hard after a quick sprint it might suggest they are unfit and don't have a healthy lifestyle or are fat.
  • Then the sentence depends on whether the writer is wanting to put the emphasis on the running, or the fact that he realised it was his neighbour. Issues like this depend (sorry for use of word twice!) on context and can not really be discussed OUT of context.
  • My throw away sentence has caused more interest than the adjectives in question!
    i think you can use more adjectives in dialogue than in prose perhaps, just a thought. It would make the character more distinctive or flat.

eg 'I am happy that you have come home.'

or, 'I am really, really happy that you've come home.'

you could use both of the above i think to portray a characters personality.

Enjoyed god of small things- but not one of my favourites. but she is really, really talented!
  • edited June 2008
    Good points, Vijay.

Why did you ask that question about God of Small Things ?

Do you know Manil Suri? Have just finished The Age of Shiva - excellent stuff !
  • I was reading it as part of my degree Lexia (by the way I passed my linguistic course - thank god). I was looking at The Age of Shiva, I think I will buy it now. Has anyone read A Thousamd Splendid Suns? That's on a future reading list too. At the moment I'm reading To The Lighthouse (Virginia Woolfe) and it is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be to read.

Excellent point Lexia. As we were told: every text is contextual (and it is no accident the the word contextual contains the word text). And as they say in philosophy circles 'everything comes down to the word - that is the power of linguistics'.
  • Manil suri is a fine writer, read his first novel The Death of Vishnu, which was an international bestseller. v good, he intervines several stories in a clever way, its good to see and learn the technique- keeps you turning the page. There are quite a few very good literary writers out there at the moment, the competition is tough, but i reckon i'm closing in on them guys!
  • I bought The Kite Runner yesterday.
  • Congrats on the linguistic course , Stirling ! Another thing ticked off the list - well done you !

Loved the Death of Vishnu too, Vijay. (May I at this point recommend Vijay's "The House of Subadar" again ?? Really good read - you certainly are closing in Vijay !! ;) )

As I have also said before, Thousand Splendid Suns is brillant, as is The Kite Runner. Enjoy Jay. (for me it was one of those "read in a sitting if possible" books)
  • It's really for my partner - it's his birthday next week. I'd like to read it, but I haven't read anything much for ages.
  • edited June 2008
    Just goes to show literary fiction doesn't mean stuffy.

Thanks Lexia, I have a look for your book Vijay.
  • Thanks Lexia and Stirling.

I have no room for stuffiness in anycase for I'm constantly involved with the mundane and absurd! but this makes me laugh aswell.
    Today on site there was tension between the men, so I asked what was the matter?
    One of them said, 'Terry put plaster in the kettle.'

i tried to keep a straight face because they all looked serious.

I said, 'Arn't you supposed to put water in the kettle.'

This broke the tension thank god.

when i asked why terry had put plaster in the kettle, this was the deep reply. 'because I didn't make him a brew earlier!'
    This is grown men i'm talking about not five year olds.

From this to high literature, it makes for a good balance!
  • On site ? Are you a builder, Vijay ? :)