Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Top Tips for writing short stories

edited July 2008 in - Writing Problems
My sister wants to have a go at short story writing. I said I'd send her some guidelines. Can you think of any tips I should include. I will in time have a search through my back copies of WM and WN for ideas.

One tip I would include is the story has to be about a character, and that something in the story has changed for the character by the time the end comes.

Any more please?

Comments

• The usual - An opening which makes people want to read on; and a satisfying conclusion.
  • There are useful websites such as:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Helpful-Hints-for-Writing-Short-Stories&id=112622
  • Yes i could do with some pointers aswell. My writing isnt going very well at the moment so i could do with a small success to make it worth carrying on with.

I think the best thing i have learned is to manage the time frame of the story. So that in a short story, the amount of time that passes is very short. Perhaps an hour in someones life, a phone call, perhaps a day. My mistake was to make a story more like a mini novel in which maybe a week or so passed. On reflection it actually didn't read very well.
  • Jenny, wow!!!! I'll be spending some time there methinks. Thank you.

Thanks Jay and Amanda.
  • get your character/s to beginning of story in first sentence.
    I hate it when writers dawdle and tell me about the no 73 bus on the way to the BEGINNING of the story.
  • Start with a man hanging from a rope. He loses grip with his left, then his right. Show us how he managed to fall without killing himself.
  • ooer.
  • Keep the time-frame short and only have a very small number of characters.

Ensure the title is interesting.

Show don't tell.
  • [quote=dora]One tip I would include is the story has to be about a character,[/quote]

Not sure that is necessary.
    The plot could be about an event; historical, futuristic, mythical....
    Animate or inanimate object; mode of transport, item of furniture, plant.

There is an endless list of topics, the magic is in holding interest of readers.
    Thus; Introduction, reasoned development to an ending climax. Short stories need belief and continual pace of movement to excite.
  • Short story tip: if it doesn't move the plot along you don't need it.
  • [quote=Mutley]Show don't tell. [/quote]

Couldn't agree more.

Show it. Don't let the character waffle on too much.

Let it happen.

Don't listen to me.

Hope this is helpfull?
  • I was a runner up in a competition with a short story that was set in two eras (about 200 years apart). That was before I knew it wasn't a recommended way of writing a short story!
  • These are taken from a lecture I attended last year:

1. Focus on a single character.
    2. Start with something happening to a character.
    3. Events are already in action.
    4. Show don't tell.
    5. Is the narrator reliable?
    6. Is it first/second/third person point of view?
    7. The narrator voices the opinions of other characters.
    8. The relationship between character and plot.
    9. Plot is an aspect of character.
    10.There must be some form of psychological change.
    11.Maximum of four people.
    12.Use five senses to create reality.
    13.Reflect the narrators mental state.
    14.Don't change scenes too much.
    15.What tense are you writing in?
    16.What is the setting/time
    17.It should be 'a slice of life' (a short period of time)
    18.Are you going to use flashbacks of flash forwards?
    19.It needs to be psychologically true.
    20.Each turn (paragraph) needs a new conversation.
    21.If using adverbs, change the verbs.
    22.Short sentences for moments of excitement.
    23.Full-stops to highlight a phrase.
    24.Use exclamation marks sparingly.
    25.Use of silence?
    26.How do you end a paragraph (cliff-hangers).
    27. Read aloud.
    - Chris Powicis (University of Stirling)

A personal biggie for me, is research which market you are going for. I think the gap between commericial and literary is even wider when it comes to short stories.
  • Wowee Stirling, that list is impressive. Thanks everybody so far. My sis is going to be sooooooo busy.
  • Good grief stirling, that certainly is a helpfull list! i'm off to have a look at the site Jenny recommended.
  • I agree the story need not be about a character. One of my published stories was about ants ... written as if they were - well, people. Only in the last line does it say 'garden ant'. No dialogue but tight written narrative got the story published.