Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

good name for a good man

edited July 2008 in - Writing Problems
I've just introduced a new character to my story. He's supposed to be the kind of man you could trust. Can any of you suggest a name for this character? He's 54 years old, very fit and looks a lot younger than his years.

Comments

• Stan? Only joking!
  • John, it would have been one of those standard names that were around at the time he would have been born, or William- Will for the more younger sounding persona.
  • Thanks, Stan and Dorothy. I quite like Will. It will be interesting to see what others suggest.
  • Graham? Steve? Colin?

(These are of the right era and all sound trustworthy to me - but perhaps I've just been lucky..)
  • Tom is a good old English name. Honest Tom. Born Thomas, but known to his friends and workmates as Tom. As honest as the day is long.
  • Thanks, Stan, Tom's a good name. I know a Colin and a Graham and don't like them very much, but thanks anyway, Rosalie.:)
  • edited July 2008
    Definitely not Tony - not after what he did to this country!

Silent Tony - No disrespect intended!!!!
  • LizLiz
    edited July 2008
    Peter was one of the most commonly given name at that time and sounds steady somehow. Hang on, I've got a book which gives the most common names around then... I'll list them for you...

Born around 1950:

Robert, Michael, James, John, David, William, Thomas, Richard, Gary, Charles, Ronald, Dennis, Steven, Kenneth, Joseph, Mark, Daniel, Paul, Donald, Gregory
    were the top 20.

Born around 1965:

Paul, David, Andrew, Stephen, Mark, Michael, Ian, Gary, Robert, Richard, Peter, John, Anthony, Christopher, Darren, Kevin, Martin, Simon, Philip, Graham were the top 20.
  • Maybe what's needed is a name associated with someone famous who's reliable. That cuts it down quite a lot!
  • And Fergus always sounds reliable... I don't know why!
  • Robin (reliant)
    Robin (Hood)

Charles ?
  • Jack. I had an Uncle Jack. A real gent.
  • Jack the Lad? Jack the... Ripper?
  • Jack never strikes me as a reliable person, but it is also a diminutive of John- sort of two sides to a name I always think.
  • I like Jack the lads. Probably why my character is called Jack (that kind of personality).

My new character is called Blake. I thought creative/unusual.
  • The name William has been over used...in books, movies and well in history...i have a william in my book but i couldn't change his name...it just wouldn't work...

I like Dave...or David...
  • Christopher

Stephen

Andrew
  • Before you choose a name, you should think carefully about your character. Is he going to play a minor role in your story or a major one? Is he an ordinary guy or some kind of superhero. Names are really important, so think carefully.
  • Good point Candy.
  • Dave. Good old Dave. Sound as pound, is Dave.
  • Isn't Dave the name of white van man? David is better...
  • Dave, definitely DAVE!
  • Dave makes me think of someone a bit dubious - never quite breaks the law, but comes close. Full of promises he never keeps. And he drives a white van.

lexia - no Stanley's in your list. Perhaps we are in earlier lists. I was named after my father.
  • edited July 2008
    I was going to say John or Thomas - but not both together!
  • I genuinely think Stan, I read the question, thought of Stan and then saw his comment after, how embarassing is that, other than that Ted, my dad's name although Father Ted has spoiled that idea, what part of the country does he live in?
  • Stanley's heyday was in 1925 according to The Guinness Book of Names. Not many after 1950.
  • That surprises me, anyone remember the children's book called Flat Stanley - I think I will google it - just remember it being one of the first books I read
  • I think Stanley is making a comeback. I've seen the name included in recent birth announcements.
  • Stanley is no 22 in 1925 Stan. In the list of LIZ, LIZ, LIZ. I'm beginning to feel invisible...
  • edited July 2008
    It's probably the effect of the Don't Bother Opening thread!
  • Something like that spreading on this sort of group site could be catastrophic. Invisible posters! Invisible discussions! INVISIBLE WRITING! Where's the lemon juice...
  • Am I the only one not to have read the Don't Open This thread?
  • No Jay I didn't either.
    Does that make us the goody two shoes or just the only people not to have a clue what's going on in half the other threads now?
  • Thanks, everyone! Candy, you're quite right and I should have thought of that.
  • Flat Stanley is now international literacy project - useless info I know
  • Quite useless!!!!