Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

dazed and confused

edited August 2008 in - Writing Problems
It's taken 8 weeks but I finally got my fifth qualifying review on YWO yesterday and went into the table at last, in 15th place (with a lot of others). No matter, I thought, that the fifth review dragged the scores down, from almost all 4s and 5s from the first 4 reviewers.

Then what happens? I get review no.6 today and THAT's negative too, all 2s and 3s. I can see that people will have different opinions. But is it other people's experience that you write something and four reviewers in a row rave about it; then two more just don't believe in it at all?

Have other people had the same reaction? And what happened next?

Comments

• you write on sponsored by Arts Council for peer reviews- an electronic slush pile
  • Don't like it myself.
  • The trouble with sites like YWO is that you don't know the people who are reviewing your work. How do you know if you would respect their opinion? How do you know if they have another agenda? Even at a writing group I attended I paid a lot more attention to the opinions of people who I knew liked the genre I was writing in, rather than those who explicitly stated that they didn't and then said they didn't like my work.

My advice would be to ignore the scores and have a look at the detail in the reviews. If only one person makes a comment and it strikes a chord with you, look into it. If several people make the same comment, look into it. If one person makes a comment and you disagree with it, then ignore it.
  • I am surprised you had to wait so long for a review I had a 3 week wait once thought that was bad and wrote an email to complain! I had one straight after.
    15th place is not bad well done. Think I am at 18.
    Wait til you have a few more reviews and see if people say the same things about your book then think about making changes but not if you don't want to. Just go with your instinct it's your book. And yes the reviews can be mixed. I had someone give me all five stars said it was the best thing he had read on YWO and then the next review was 3's and quite negative.
  • Fair point heather
  • edited August 2008
    I would suggest you ignore the whole site ! (but thats just my opinion - and I don't understand what you do with the points that you build up. Is it like Tesco? I know I have said this before but I am no wiser abnout it !)

Post it on here aeschylus - we'll give you an honest and worthy review
  • As a combatant in YWO I would have to agree with Lexia - just have a look at the forum for an idea.

Re your work - it may simply be that, for those two reviewers, it wasn't their cup of tea. You need to bear in mind that they are, pretty much, all amateurs and will only be able to go on their own reading and writing experience. Don't be disheartened.
  • YWO is becoming inhabited by arrogant, nasty bullies.

Aeschylus - take all reviews with a pinch of salt. Don't let the site get you down. I used to be a member, did pretty well on it, but many of the members now disgust me so much, I left. I don't like bullies, cheats and pompous asses.

Everyone having a good day? :D
  • That a girl! Say wotcha mean Tracy!

Yep, day's OK ta. Yours?
  • Hi Scratch - glad your day's OK. Mine's been pretty good, got quite a bit of work done in between rants. I've been diplomatic about YWO for far too long, can't stand it anymore. The things I know and could tell you - make your hair stand on end. Sometimes a person gets pushed too far.

If I could remember how to do roll eyes I would! So I'll grin instead - :D
  • I second everything Tracy says - I've just told them where to go (ever so politely). May they stew in their own juices.
  • Ouch. :-P
  • : rolleyes : - leave out the spaces, Tracy. :rolleyes:
  • Cheers Stan. :rolleyes: - just practising. Stan, you get a :D
  • Widely varying reviews happen all the time. Just to prove it, look up the Amazon reviews of any book in the bestseller list and you'll find there are the full range of star ratings. You can't please everyone, and it's a mistake to try. Five reviews isn't many, so try not to get hung up about it. Get some more before you reach any conclusions. You can usually tell who knows what they're talking about, or go and read something the reviewer has written. It can be very revealing.

Lixxy, well done you for speaking up on YWO. You're not the only one to get bullied by that lot! But don't let them drive you away, they don't run the site (they just think they do!) :-)
  • normally he is a :rolleyes: though
  • [quote=Tracy]YWO is becoming inhabited by arrogant, nasty bullies. [/quote]

But there are still some nice people there, Aeschylus! (I don't think Tracy was including me? :( ) As I whispered to you the other day, it really is the luck of the draw (if you don't cheat). You can get six good reviews and do really well or you can have a couple of people who just don't 'get' your story, or have agendas all of their own, and you're lost. So while I'm enjoying having been lucky so far, I'm not going to go into a decline when I hit a rogue reviewer. It's not worth it. Keep going to eight reviews and see if ditching one of the bad reviews helps. But be warned that sometimes, with that stupid SD system that they use, ditching a review can send you backwards...as I said, the luck of the draw, or knowing how to 'work' the loopholes
  • Oh dear - of course, I'm not including you, Nena.
    I'm really not undermining your achievement - you know I'm chuffed for you. I wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it.

But I stand by my words, I'm seeing a rapid decline in the behaviour on the site. I'm afraid the threads on the messageboard are getting worse, and the mutual cliquey back-slapping has started again after a brief hiatus and the bullying has resurfaced, even worse than it used to be and that's saying something.

Bearing in mind I was a member for well over a year, my work was received well and I made the Bestsellers chart, I have no axe to grind other than I have witnessed and experienced a lot of horrid things which seemed to have escalated recently. Personally, I'm worried the good people are being driven out by the bad.

To all people reading this post. I think people should try out YWO, but;
    be aware that it can be bad for your health
    to take reviews with a huge pinch of salt
    bear in mind that many reviewers are UNPUBLISHED authors, read their work and other reviews they have written and then decide if their comments seem valid ( I include myself in that)
    and to take many of the other comments in this thread onboard, there are words of wisdom here.

I think YWO could be fantastic but ultimately, whatever people say, it's a competition and it seems to bring out appalling behaviour in some people.

Boy, can I rant.

But on a positive note - Ive been checking to see if you're still top ten, Nena, and I'm glad to see you are. :D

I'll shut up now!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
  • Aha Tracey- - you've just summed up in 3 words what's wrong with YWO these days... "it's a competition" Well it wasn't when it started. As far as I read it, it was a site on which to place your work for a friendly, non-combative critique from fellow writer who were probably all in the same boat, ie scribbling away unread and uncertain as to whether their great masterpiece was actually the rubbish they had the sneaking idea it was or if it was, with some cutting, and editing worth persevering with. I had some very confidence boosting reviews for a novel opening and I was even gee'ed up enough to submit a short story ( a skill I was not at all confident I could pull off) and received even better reviews. i tweaked the novel a bit taking on board the most consistently negative comments and resubmitted 6 months later to receive some really nastly comments, mostly from across the pond I have to say, who to be harshly truthful haven't a clue about anything vaguely European. The story opened in France in the second world war, and I might have done better to have set it on Mars. I felt the site had been hijacked and the forum in particular seems to be populated by a very cliquey dozen or so who seem to have nothing better to do than be permanently logged in and exchange daft comments
    And as for the constant analysis of marks and political maneuvering for the top five, I think that has been exacerbated by the literary agents that are scouting around the site.
    Sorry to sound petulant...it must be the heat!
  • I was put off YWO, too, though I (very) briefly made the top ten and got some useful feedback along the way. It also taught me a lot about reviewing, which I'd never done before. But yes, I began to notice tit-for-tat reviewing and decided life was too short to waste on such silly behaviour. I know there are lots of decent people on YWO - I know some of them - but you are right, it does seem to bring out the worst in some people.
  • My spelling was criticised: Didn't I know that "colour" didn't have a "r" in it? What on earth is a bonnet (of a car)/explain P45... And I became very offended when my work was described as a rough draft!!!

Still, mostly I got a lot of helpful advice from the reviews and I hope I gave equally helpful advice. I don't take much notice of the point system because as soon as I noticed it had a forum I realised it'd be biased.