Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Feeling Down v.v

Some of you may remember that a couple of weeks ago I was feeling really positive about writing, working quickly and enthusiastically. Today I feel like I never want to write again.

I wanted feedback on my work before I wrote a whole flippin book, just in case it wasn't any good, and I've had many kind people giving me long, free reviews (which was very nice of them and I'm very grateful) but I've just had so much negative feedback that I feel like curling up in a ball and crying. I wouldn't mind if it was mixed in with a little postivity or a gentle push in the right direction, but it's just made me feel so worthless with all the bad comments v.v

I know that most of you have probably felt like this at some point, how did you make yourself get over it and get back on the horse? I'm just too depressed to even look at my own work right now.

Thankyou for reading my mopey ramblings, I'm most grateful x

Comments

• (hugs)
    Consider making a large hot chocolate and staring at the stars for a bit.
    Then consider writing something else...RIGHT NOW!
    You're feeling emotional, WRITE IT!
    Write when you're bored, when you're sad, when you're happy.
    By tomorrow you may wake up and find you've something powerful, and that you've used this horrid feeling to create 'something'.
    (more hugs)
  • who are these people? how many? and what are you writing?
  • Thankyou, I appreciate the kind words *hugs back*

I'm in one of those strange moods though, where there's just so much emotion that I can't pick out any one thing to write down. I really love being a teenager >.>
    Chocolate of some sort sounds like a fantastic idea, but unfotunately here's too much cloud to see the stars right now =/
    I'm sure it'll be better in the morning (I hope anyway)
  • Be careful whose advice you listen to. Some people can be very opinionated.

And don't give up!
  • Another hug coming your way.
    Put it away for a while- yes we all get these days- do something else.
    But for now do those things you like- re-read a favourite book, hot choccy etc.

(For later when you are less fragile)
    Then when you feel a bit more positive look and see if there is something in particular in those negative views- is it always the same thing?
    If not, compare it to the good reviews. It may just be that that reviewer doesn't like the subject, genre.
  • Oh, and aeschylus (that's a hard word to spell!), they're generally people from other writing forums and yourwriteon.com. I was on a teenage forum for a while, but it turns out teenagers ARE NOT NICE! I really really detest being associated with such creatures. They wouldn't know grammar if it punched them in the face and danced naked in front of them.

I'm writing romance/teen fiction as one book, and I also had a couple of chapters of a fantasy thing (though I scrapped that even without the reviews - I could tell for myself it was awful). It wasn't too many reviews, but enough to make me feel pretty horrible about my own 'skill'
  • those moments are hard to deal with in our fragile writing stages.
  • edited August 2008
    Thankyou Jenny and Carol, I already feel better from talking to you guys =] I'm going to leave my writing at least until tomorrow now, no point dwelling on something that's only going to make me upset.
  • teenagers....well I have a 15yr old and a 13yr old and they're getting to that stage where they have opinions and they're right so if anyone disagrees it's just too bad. It's that time when independence wins over sensitivity every time. But, as someone once said to a teenager, "how come if you're all so individual you all dress the same"?
  • Carol and also Jenny (I think) have been here for quite a while, so I'd be listening to them and have asked their advice in the past (Thank you Carol and Jenny)
  • Oh pwoof, they probably couldn't write their way out of a dead end paper bag.

You are streets ahead of most teenagers, you are already writing. And learning. And on the path to authordom. And not only are you writing, but well enough to get reviews. That might sound weird, but actually, it's extremely hard to review something which is truly awful - you just don't know where to start. In fact, it's almost impossible. In fact, even those people who like laying into other people will generally avoid stuff which is very bad, because it's difficult to read, boring, and difficult to crit. So in a strange way, you know that you are writing something which is worth criticising, and know therefore you are not wasting your time.

Read the reviews when you are feeling better with an open mind -you generally know in your own heart if something someone says is true. If you feel that, set about improving it. If it seems unfair, then leave that aspect. OR carry on writing till you get to the end, and then set about improving it, because you will be learning every step of the way, and by the end, you will be a better writer than you are now. Everyone always is. I just did an MA with 15 others, and without an exception, they all went back and changed the beginnings of their books. And rewrote, and rewrote, and rewrote, after many, many criticisms.. it happens to us all, and it's the ones who listen and pick themselves up and improve and learn who make it.

Oh, and definitely go with the chocolate thing. I believe every author does that.
  • (((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))) Balls to these people, for making you feel that way. But I agree with Liz -if it was that awful, they wouldn't be able to find anything at all to say about it. Have a sleep, eat chocolate (always sound advice), watch a favourite film or programme (the Hustle series always cheer me up and manage to inspire me) and look at it again in a couple of days. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't even look at it again tomorrow - I'd wait until the weekend and give yourself time. It sounds like you need it.

Then, you'll feel better - I guarantee it - and you can look at your work again and think, wow, that bit's excellent, did I really write that? Then convince yourself that you must have done, because of course you did. It's happened to me, and I'd laugh my socks off if anyone here said it hadn't happened to them, as well. It happens to us all, because we're all writers. It's a part of who you are. Never let anyone, least of all a reviewer, ever take that part of you away.

I hope you feel better soon and, remember, we're all here for each other on TalkBack, and that includes you.
  • Well said.

PF,
    Writers are sensitive souls by nature (that's why we're writers!), and it's easy to take things personally. However, as has been mentioned before, who is actually reviewing your stuff here? Are they best-selling authors? Don't think so somehow. They sound like a bunch of halfwits to me.

As we say in Manchester...'Crack on...'
    ;)
  • Tenacity is key.
  • I can't comment on your writing, as I don't know it, but one thing I will say is how impressed I am that you take the time and trouble to spell well, and make effective (and correct) use of punctuation. Now there are not very many teenagers can even be bothered with that, let alone know how and why it's done!
    So take heart; you have an excellent basis from which to begin! Add imagination, tenacity, and a thick skin, and you will go far! Stick at it, kid, if you've set your heart on it, then just do it - and to hell what (usually just jealous) others say! :P
  • Don't give up, PF!
  • awww come on.... here's a tissue.... go on, blow.... there...better now? ;)

Sadly there's rather alot of nasty little people who resent us writers. I'm sure that everysingle on of us on this forum have had people be unpleasant, unkind and even downright rude.

Don't take it to heart (says me who blubs at the slightest thing), the more successful you are the harder they are going to crisitse you (look at JKR, i wouldnt care what ANYONE thought of my writing - money talks!). Look upon critism as a milestone. If you were terrible at writing they would just pat you on the head and say 'welldone' because you weren't a threat! Every critism is a conformation that you can write.
  • In my experience, teenagers like to destroy other people, especially if they are viewed as a threat. I used one of these critique services, and I got good reviews from all but one, which was nothing but pure jealousy.

Frankly what do they know about good writing? I remember my creative writing classes at school, the normal fodder is teenager meeting pop star and falling in love (have you read any of those fan fic sites?) Like what has been said before, they have a minimal grasp on what makes good writing and know absolute zero about how the publishing industry works.

If you are interested, I would be more than willing to read a few chapters and give some constructive criticism. If you are interested I'll whisper my email to you.
  • edited August 2008
    Teenagers and hormones; and writers and rejections - clich
  • edited August 2008
    I remember writing teenager meets pop star and they fall in love, Stirling. Ah, the good years.

Don't worry PF. As others have said, you're leagues ahead of your peers by even getting this far. You're writing, you've joined writing forums and have nothing but promise, experience and reward ahead of you. How I often wish I'd had your determination and practicality when I was your age. Keep smiling.
    When you're as old as me and still in the learning stages, then you've got something to sook about. :-( Oh woe is me, I've gone and depressed myself now. I think I need some chocolate. Wanna share?
  • People can have all sorts of other motives when they review your work, so you have to bear that in mind. Jealousy can play a big part. If criticism is just nasty you should bin it and forget it. Remember too, people have a right to not like your work. Respect their opinion but ignore it and keep writing for the millions who will one day read it and love it.
  • Hi there PF. I'm so sorry you feel down after those reviews. I'm not sure I can add anything to what others on this thread have said, but just let me say that feeling bad about your work is part of being a writer. Sadly - but it is...

One piece of advice - don't show your work to *anyone* in the early stages. Just write and write and write - until you've finished at least the first draft. Don't even show it to yourself - or not to the judging part of yourself. Once you've written it - that's the time to start being critical and working out how to make it better.

Don't even talk about your ideas to anyone else in the early stages. Just one slightly negative comment can be enough to spoil the whole thing. It can feel a bit lonely but in my experience it's the only way.

Good luck and hope you start to feel better soon.
  • Try not to let them put you off (which is probably easier said than done), but keep writing. One author, Debbie Macomber, was called a hopeless dreamer and all sorts but she kept on going, and now she has made it. I do hope you are feeling better now.
  • See, you don't have anything to worry about. :)
    Many young people your age can't spell or punctuate properly- some can't even do it when they're older. And for some a sentence is two words.
    Hope you feel better today. :)
  • Don't give up PF!
  • Hi PF, here's a hug for you ((((((((:-)))))))) Take it easy, you'll be okay.
  • been there, done that, many times since I began writing. Then you get the breakthrough and begin to believe in yourself again. Hold on! As with everything, it is only an opinion.
  • Hi PF.
    Don't let them get you down. Writing is a craft that takes time to learn, just like painting, carpentry, jewellery making (you get the drift). I've been writing the same book for a couple of years now and have only been writing for just a little bit longer. I've improved no end because I stuck at it, honed and perfected my writing (although I know it still needs work). I'm my biggest critic but I can see that I've improved, all of us do if we stick at it.

As for critiquing sites - be careful. Youwriteon especially. Peer reviews are all well and good but bear in mind that other novice writers have as much to learn as you or I.
    Take criticism, however well-intentioned, with a pinch of salt, do try and learn from those constructive comments but remember, your writing voice is your own, develop your own original style and if people are nasty when they critique they aren't worth bothering with. Constructive criticism can't always be positive but if valid suggestions are raised and offered genuinely and thoughtfully, and they strike a chord with you, act upon them if you agree.
    Sometimes it's good to step back for a while and then look at the comments outside of that first emotional read, when any negativity jumps out even if the critique is quite positive.

It's not easy subjecting any artistic endeavour to public scrutiny but it's also a valuable lesson to learn, it'll make you tougher. Well a bit.

Take care and if you enjoy writing, that's the main thing.
    Tracy :)
  • Hi PF .(which it looks like you will be referred to as)

Think of the stories of the famous books that have been turned down by various publishing houses , who are supposed to know a good thing when they see it.
    There is a place for all types of writing and I'm sure dedication will get you there.