Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Covering letters

edited August 2008 in - Writing Problems
If you stress about putting together a covering letter to accompany your manuscript, help is at hand. I've put together a 'any fool can do it' sample over at http://www.thecraftywriter.com/2008/08/21/the-dreaded-covering-letter/ - with apologies to Beatrix Potter!

Comments

• Just found this thread and had a look at the section on non-fiction - there's some useful stuff on your website, Fiona - thanks.
  • Hi Fiona. I would LOVE to access your site but my pc keeps playing silly beggars and I can't move beyond the first screen. I wonder if you have time to help me with one or two key questions about the format of the letter?

I have been using the following; perhaps you could correct them for me?

A4 paper, single spacing, leave an additional space between paragraphs, indent each paragraph.

But does it matter? or have all my submissions so far been a waste of time and lost me my chance with several top agents?
  • In a covering letter, it's what you say that matters, not the spacing of the paragraphs. The format of the manuscript itself needs to look good, but the letter just needs to be addressed to the right person, be concise (one page max), tell them who you are (with any special experience, qualification or claim to fame that could help them sell your work) and what you are sending. And that's about it!
  • Viv, that's great, and a relief.

Interesting that you should say it needs to be addressed to the right person. I checked my files of submission documents yesterday and it looks almost certain that I have sent my proposal to a top agent, properly headed and with the right info, but started it: Dear X with the wrong name! I am sending a chasing apology letter tomorrow. Top that for stupidity.
  • I tend to admit (perhaps stupidly???) that I'm a first-time author - and move on quickly from there. This is to counteract the lack of credits I have to my name (and not to dwell on the negative). Is this a good idea or a bad one? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thank you.
  • I wouldn't mention that adagio, it gives the impression you aren't confident, and could be 'crap' so why pay attention to reading it.
    You need to put out positives despite your lack of credits.
  • I agree, and I think it was you who advised me on not mentioning my lack of credits, Carol. My letters go as follows:

- A four- or five-line paragraph which explains why I want this agent to represent me. This cites a book similar to mine which they have already represented - one which will bring back good positive memories for them and incline them to be positive about my idea from the word go. Obvious research needed here, not always made easy on agency websites which might say which authors they represent but not which books they had a hand in placing. And the books you pick need to have obvious similarites with your own.

- The second paragraph presents my book, and a mini-synopsis. This is the crucial part of the letter, and you will be conscious of the need for attractive (not boring) writing here, knowing that you have 6-8 lines to 'sell your book as something different from the mass of the slush pile' to a professional agent who has seen it all before.

- The third and last paragraph contains a mini bio, and obviously any published record. If you have no published record, like me, you miss out that bit, but I think an agent would like to see that you have something 'promotable' about you (like you own an abandoned seal-pup farm, or something), including any reference to credentials suitable to your book. The points you raise here MUST be professional and not amateurish. For example, if submitting a novel set in 10 Downing Street, you would tell of your ten years' experience of party political work, but you would not report how wonderful everyone in your writing circle said your book was.

This third paragraph would probably be your shortest, unless you had a string of published items, in which case it could be your longest. But as all the authorites seem to say, apart from a list of published credits, YOUR LETTER MUST FIT ON ONE PAGE ONLY. Otherwise it would be seen as amateurish. Economy of expression is one of the hallmarks they will be looking for.

And if there is one thing these agents want, it is a polished approach from a writer who is clearly professional material. I have written several in the past few weeks, all different, and I can see how they are improving with practice.

Hope all that was helpful.
  • Very good Dwight- all very positive. I'm sure that will help Adagio look at his/her covering letter in a different way. :)
  • Great comments. Thank you. Duly noted the lot, since I'm just about to embark on a covering letter for a new story.

Many thanks

adagio (Mrs - did I not put that in my profile? Must go check ...)