Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

writing for different age groups

edited September 2008 in - Writing Problems
Sorry for yet another question but:

i have a nice story (in fact i can think of at least 3 plots for the characters) but i cant decide which age group it would be appropriate for. The idea would only appeal to the young girl market certainly no older than 9ish. But it could so easily be a picture book or written up for older children.

I've tried doing both (although its no-where near finished) and i seriously can't decide what's best.

Help!

Comments

• Hi Amanda

Have you've seen some of things being said about picture books and costs of because of print charges going up? Maybe that might help you decide. I don't write picture books but I know it can be a particularly hard market to crack. Then again, aren't they all!!

I don't think anyone can really help you with this query though without reading the piece.

Does any of that help? Probably not.
    Tracy :)
  • My first book fits quite neatly into the picture book slot - although on the upper word limit as its 800 words. I dont feel i can really cut out any more but i suppose i would if an editor was really keen!

The one that isnt yet fully formed is really hard to choose, i think given the market, as you said tracy, i may give it a go for older.

Any idea of length for the next age group up ie 6-7ish age.

I appreciate your help as i am still learning!
  • I put a word count in the chapter length thread for you :)