Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Filling in the gaps

edited September 2008 in - Writing Problems
Any advice on how to fill in the gaps for a short story?

I have an idea and sit and the computer with great flow only to find Im still 500 - 700 words off the word count. How do I go about stretching the story or filling in the gaps without loosing the great flow of the plot?

Thanks up front for any help...

Comments

• Hello Suzi welcome to Talkback.
    Sometimes you may just have created a story to the length it should be. Padding doesn't help a story, it often shows.
    What is your intended word count for the story. Is it a standard short story or a long short story?
  • welcome to TB. You can fill in with descriptive words here and there without stretching the story too much.
  • The story is to average about 1500 - 1700 words. I generaly write the short short stories, but trying my hand at the longer ones.
  • I found that was a skill that you eventually learn to do naturally.
    But as Dorothy says, look through and see what you can make more of.
  • Welcome to TalkBack :D
  • Welcome to Talkback SuziWuzi! :)
  • Welcome SW. Have fun. Sorry I can't help, being a poet, my fort
  • Hi, Suzi. Welcome to Talkback. Why not enter September's One Word Challenge?
  • Morning SuziWuzi,

Should time allow, put that work aside for a week.
    Read it after your mind has been diverted and look for detail in characters and locations. Do the words give a clear mental image, can you see, smell the characters and environmental action? Perhaps their is an item merely alluded to that could contribute to atmosphere of the writing, a "car" might become"the loved racing wheels" of hero/heroine with an outline of its history leading to its relevance in this story.

Lateral thinking is a useful aide in these situations.

Good Luck.
  • Like LizB I find it much easier to shorten stuff.

But when I've written something for a competition needing a certain number of words there are a few things I try.
    1. See if there are any areas of narrative which can be fleshed out with a complete scene.
    2. Use something descriptive from the setting to illustrate the theme throughout the story so the story can work on two levels.
    3. Add an extra plot twist, or complication.
  • Hello SuziWuzi! Welcome to Talkback :-)
  • Thanks for all your advice.

Have hidden work for over a week and gonna go back tonight and have another go.

Cheers
  • Hi Mad Doctor Dribble and thanks for the welcome. Do mad doctors actually dribble then?
  • The babies dribble, Suzi, though I'm sure our friend here does it, too, secretly ;)