Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Afflicted!

So where was I, yes, I am happily writing away being happy. Happiness is important, right. Anyway, I get to the end of chapter four. And it comes, the curse, the madness. One of my protagonists (Elizabeth), between you and I, I never liked her anyway, besides she has a twin. Why double up on characters? So I killed her, stuck her in the Twin Towers, boom! Anyway, here's the thing. Still afflicted with this temporary madness, I decide it would be good a idea to change from 3rd person to 1st and let the dead woman tell rest of the story! In retrospect now that I'm half way through chapter 20, there ain't no going back. Don't start, I know it was a really lame plan - anyway. My problem is this:- I've made the change using what I see as one huge 144 point size big cliche. Do you think I can get away with it. Before answering, consider the tone of my writing probably is not that far from the tone of this post.

“We can fly over there, we'll go to New York right away.” George offered.
“I think it's a bit late for that.” Karen's voice was empty.

And that's how I died, but hey there's always a bright side. Me and sister, we'd made up. At that moment in time all was perfect. I was having breakfast in the World Trade Centre Restaurant at 8.46 am on the 11th September 2001. I was on top of the world, but hey, who knew? anyway, bygones. For the record, I don't, I can't blame my sister. Karen or Katy, as we sometimes like to call her. She is my twin sister and I will always love her. Besides it's not really about what Katy did, is it? that's done, dusted, history, surely it's about what Katy next.

Comments

• 'should that be what Katy did next'? :)
  • my thought immediately, Carol.
  • [quote=Carol]'should that be what Katy did next'[/quote]
    It should!
  • You made me laugh, so I gave you a point!! :D

Is that how it works? Anyway, I like your writing style. Why not have it from a dead woman's VP? Sounds interesting. But why don't you like her? I'm afriad that might show in the rest of your work that your readers will pick up on - and if they do then they won't like her either.
  • Thankyou Louise, I'm sure points mean prizes - no i don't get it either. What was I saying? Yeah, apart from the first four chapters, it is from the dead woman's VP. Erm, as for me not liking her. Here's the thing, the spoiler. She's a twin and she get's cloned. I swear on a stack of bibles - Why do people always say that? It doesn't make any sense. Why would anybody have more than one bible? Why would they? That's past scary it's obsessive - a whole stack? I don't think so! What was I saying? - Yes, I like the unique simple logic of the premise. You can't clone a twin! - Duh! They come in pairs! You know the outcome is gonna be ugly.
  • Sounds interesting, a cloned twin - would they now be triplets?

But now I have a horrible image of someone swaying about on a stack of bibles whilst yelling obscenities. :)
  • [quote=louise]But now I have a horrible image of someone swaying about on a stack of bibles whilst yelling obscenities.[/quote]

Images, Vision's they're bad!

Quick story, true, no bibles and I'm balanced. Before I start, I'll let slip that I'm black before somebody else accusing me of racism. Right, the story. When I was maybe 17 - I got the livin' crap beaten out of me in a pub - The Landlord said it wouldn't have been so bad if I'd stopped laughing, but I couldn't.

I was sitting at a table with my hot date, I'd had a couple of drinks. At the bar were a couple of men, maybe 25ish. Anyway, one of them said. "I fed up with them lot coming over here and stealing our women." - I don't think they were even aware of me. I suddenly got this vision of a 7ft Rastafarian (think of the Predator) running down the High Street in slow motion with a woman over his shoulder. To complete the vision the town posse were giving chase. I got the worst attack of progressive giggles I've ever experienced.. I couldn't stop. Moral - 17 year old shouldn't drink Jack Daniels - EVER.
  • No, moral - 25 year old adults shouldn't beat up kids!

Still, at least you've kept your GSOH.
  • [quote=louise]Still, at least you've kept your GSOH[/quote]
    On that subject, I've had such a crazy day. Maybe I'm withdrawing from something. Anyway listen, That bloody Yorkshire terrorist dog thing woke me up a 6.00am. So, possessed, wrote this whole long standup comedy monologue. I've never tried it before, I don't actually write comedy. If you want to read it, let me know. I can't post here, less I offend owners of Yorkshire Terriers. Jack Russells, Americans, people with warts, The good people of York.. actually it's probably quicker to list those that wouldn't be offended. Actually, there probably ain't any. Wait a minute, Catholics are getting away scot free. Gimme a day or so, I'll add some more.
  • Oh, sod that. Post it. I'm writing comedy at the moment, so I'd be interested in hearing it. At first, I found I was afraid of offending, but usually it's that that's funny! And the more you offend, the more the "offended" laugh (listen to all the comics on TV).
  • Noooo! I'm on probation. If I cause further offence, I fear I am to be flogged and flung! (I'm actually having a bit of a Shakesperian day today anyway.) .

'Tis curious though, my lady did express pleasure at the very thought, stating to be flogged and flung an enjoyble pastime, regulary practised in her chamber.'
  • Michael - you're on the wrong forum.
  • There you go.. Sorry louise, if you want to continue this conversation, you'll have to email me.

[email protected]
  • Nice to be proved right, isn't it?
  • edited September 2008
    Not really, I promised to refrain from sarcasm. So I'll comment directly. You appear not to have the thread. It originated with a question (problem). Another and I got into a debate. Were we supposed to start a new thread when we drifted off topic?

I really try to subcribe to live and let live. Prayers for people, children's books, there are many subjects I do not care to get involved with or pass comment on. I ask you and any others to look into things or ask for clarification before judging.
  • You are obviously entitled to think as you see fit.
  • Michael, I know it is how you work, but it can be quite confusing telling what is a comment, what's sarcasm, and what is your questions get lost among all that.
    Many TB's have limited time and won't trawl through a lot of words if the question isn't obvious.
  • I know what you are saying Carol, and yes I can appear 'outrageous'. Having learned and attitudes of some, I don't get involved in certain dicussions. I let lot of things amuse me, if they didn't. I might get annoyed. A lot of those claiming to read do not... I understand that now.

Interestingly, either farce type comedy or tragedy ensues after misunderstanding. I actually marvelled at mob type behaviour, usually in fiction only resolved by the sherrif firing a gun into the air. If I was an avid reader of fiction, I would be amused to read a transcript... I don't want to even bring it up.-

Haven't believed in 'nitepeople' since I was four - Don't have a grandmother or Yorskshire Terrier c/w bowel movements. - Being black and in England c/w mixed race daughter, probably gives me a better take on racism than most who chose to pass comment.

Anyway Carol I thank you for your comments, I have a reputation for sarcasm so you'll just have to take this on trust.
  • That was much clearer Michael, thanks. :)
  • That makes things much clearer, as Carol says. We're not a mob :) We just club together. We're friends, here.
  • [quote=TaffetaPunk]We're not a mob We just club together. We're friends, here. [/quote]

If not, best not behave as such.The last a dangerous belief. It is important you learn to read! The Devil's in the Details.

From my genuine work. In an opening scene people run from New York in mass panic during the nuclear countertrike by Icelandic terrorists. 'Tis an awesome scene of fear and carnage. Would you be in the mob running? Or would you relax at home safe in the knowledge Iceland has no terrorists nor nuclear weapons. Only boats, volcanos and Bjork.
  • edited September 2008
    [quote=Michael Scott]It is important you learn to read![/quote]

??????????

I was only trying to explain how things are, here. If you're not interested, then you and I may as well just ignore each other.

For the record, I know it's from your work, blah, but just about the biggest insult anyone could throw at me would be to suggest I can't read. You said yourself you're not big on reading, but I am and I always have been. If your posts are coming from your character rather than from you, I suggest you make this clear from the start because no matter our monikers on here, our words are our own and we've learnt to trust each other.
  • [quote=Michael Scott]'Tis an awesome scene of fear and carnage. Would you be in the mob running? [/quote]
    No. Because it's a book.
  • Not really Taffeta, it's kinda like life. I think the WMD episode kinda covered that one - and yes I was being serious. Being real with 7 billion people does seem foolish to me. I've a contact on MS messenger. She live's in Australia -we've talked for 15 years. Yet I only know what she has told me, she may be a he from Macclesfield. She provides interesting and entertainment and I'm sure is of know threat or means no harm. She is not my friend - I do not know her. Should she offer to meet in the real world? I probably would decline.

People on the internet generate the image they want to be seen. To many people take this as read to their misfortune, and sometimes demise.

On the internet READ READ READ! Others make it their business, and quickly discover who you are, where you are and what you are.

Never more than in this in environment has the expression 'Idle Gossip Costs lives'
  • [quote=Michael Scott]People on the internet generate the image they want to be seen.[/quote]

[quote=Michael Scott]Being black and in England c/w mixed race daughter, probably gives me a better take on racism than most who chose to pass comment.[/quote]

Re the first quote: Exactly.

Re the second quote: With reference to the first quote, how do we know that's true?
  • You don't! - If this were a real place with real friends, I could with my friends toss the 'N' word around the room as if it a frisbee. None would take offence! For this is how we refer to each other as how we refer to each other when partaking in light banter (particularly when drinking beer and watching sport.

'tis is a funny place this internet. Pay close attention to the advertsiments. "Meet single people in Macclesfield." - How do they know where you are? "50% off Newnovelist" - How do they know what you do? (Don't answer, I know how it's done.)
    'tis a dangerous technology, be careful what you type. I have searched for things seeking authenticity for fictional work, this information could get me arrested. I have a nightmare of being interogated. "Nuclear Deterrent II, is name of my latest script - That's why I was researching the half-life of uranium!" Yeah, right - Off with his head.
  • Tracking cookies have a lot to answer for.
  • Yes Carol, that and the allocation of ip addresses. There's a game or test, you've probably -played in here in the past. To ask the newcomer their three or five favourite words.

Some would think of long words, to boast intellect. Others may lean to rare words, to show how goodly they are.
    Today, mine are RANDOM, PISH, Y'ALL, FARK! & FORTISSIMO.. some psychologist may comment on that. It will tell you more about the writer than "My name's Miranda and I want world peace."

Go play it's fun- but do not tell the newbies it's for the purpose of analysis.
  • Please if there are no objections may I swap FORTISSIMO for GOODLY
    Many thanks.
  • So, what do those words tell us about you? :D

Apart from one, "random", are the others actually words? You aren't cheating are you? ;)
    I would email you, but my email is playing up. I can't send only receive (naughty joke there somewhere).
  • [quote=louise]So, what do those words tell us about you?[/quote]

Louise, while I pack for my visit to Coventry, ('tis a nice place for solitude and reflection. I wouldn't want to live there on permenant basis though.)

You set a difficult task because of course I know my own character.

RANDOM - Possibly, Random is as Random does and is not required to answer to Why. Maybe the is person aspires to this. Or this person as has a carefree attitude and general acceptance of life. e.g. A relative was randomly killed in an accident, it was not fate, nobody was taken. That's just the way it happens sometimes. Or both.

PISH - Obviously this person has some knowledge of historical English, or frequents with others who do. Shows novelty and passion for the alternative without stooping modern vulgarism.

Y'ALL - A foreign contraction of an English expression. Almost the opposite of pish! American south, perhaps or African American, familiarity with or part of that culture.

FARK! - Unfair, I know it's origin. A word invented for a Hispanic woman. Maybe there's a childish desire to get away with things. You can't do nuffin' coz I never actually said *******! Or perhaps if you take other words into account, this person can go back to what is old and undoubtedly British and also has the audacity to be as modern as to add his (or her own word. It's probably a good word as, when written all know exactly what it meant.)

GOODLY - Again I can't really answer, I know it's purpose. However it was last and only made it as an afterthought. An unatural word representing protest. It would be natural to respond to a suggestion by saying effing A! or that's the dogs *******. But for one's own amusement and subtle communication. I shall respond to your naughty joke by saying it was a goodly comment and a damn fine quip.

M SCOTT.
    (Scott, A good name, sturdy. One who would explore and venture to places other's dare not.)
  • edited September 2008
    While I'm waiting for my train....

I feel people like Carol actually do have a desire to 'get it' - If you've any comprehension skills or if you know the odd black person. My mate Felix can explain better than I.

Ask yourself, What is the basis of this sketch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgyEOctCsf0

And if that amuses you watch 'Mashup Lucifer' - the other extreme.
  • Enjoy your trip to Coventry - cold there though.

A funny sketch, I did like his pee take, doing his "ting". I've watched the Real McCoy once or twice (love Mr Frazier, every woman's dream I DON'T think) but I'm quite select in my choice of comedy.