Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Formatting Question

I have a scene (1200 words), Four groups watching or listening to a horse race from four different locations. Each switch between locations is interleaved with race commentary. I've treated the commentary as speech but I've written it in italics. Maybe for the reader the result is hard to follow.

Is that correct? If anybody wants to actually see what I've done, let me know I'll point you in the right direction.

Comments

• Is this a script/short story...?
  • [quote=Carol]Is this a script/short story...?[/quote]

It is a part of novel.
  • I can see the commentary working as itallics.

Normally we would suggest you look at how other writers have tackled this problem in their books, but that will be unlikely to work for you- from the impression you've given.
    The important thing is to ensure the reader can distinguish between each individual voice, and that comes down to dialogue and how that helps identify the character.

You may need to exoeriement to see what works best.
  • Why not post a portion of it on here for review/thoughts?
  • [quote=berrymoss]Why not post a portion of it on here for review/thoughts? [/quote]

Considering this? However, it's probably boring as I've over concentrated on the authenticity of the race commentary. Also the lack of plot knowledge makes it even more boring. There's also a possibility - IT'S JUST PLAIN BORING!

[quote=Carol]Normally we would suggest you look at how other writers have tackled this problem in their books, but that will be unlikely to work for you- from the impression you've given.[/quote]

I've never seen a situation similar. It was also written at a time when I thought I wanted screenwrite, so it was written with easy conversion in mind and changing shots rather than smooth scenes.

Special note to Carol:- Normally I would at this point, re-paste berrymoss' comment. Tell him to stop bugging me, but reluctantly agree. - It would amuse me.

http://michaelscott.weebly.com/horserace.html
  • Berrymoss is new - it might not amuse him.
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]Berrymoss is new - it might not amuse him. [/quote]

My wife tells me I'm easily amused. Not sure what she means by that.
  • [quote=berrymoss]My wife tells me I'm easily amused. Not sure what she means by that.[/quote]

My wife say's that too, but she say's that a lot of men.

[quote=Jay Mandal]Berrymoss is new - it might not amuse him[/quote]

If it's the berrymoss I know - he's not new, he has wrinkles and is going baggy at the seams.