Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Oh dear - another newbie

This is a typical problem, I guess, for a lot of new potential authors.

I've had an idea for fiction for a very long time, and have (even when certain times were really bad) put pen to paper, then paper to bin.

This is a book that I can't stop thinking about.

It doesn't matter how long, I've just started making huge progress getting all thoughts, characters now 3D, and every new incident seems to fit together.

But it's rubbish. I think that it's going to be rejected as I'm useless at writing.

Who else has felt, and overcome, or feels like this?

Comments

• welcome to TB. I think we all hit that point at some time or other. The most important thing is to write it, regardless, then ask your questions and see how it can be revised and improved. Only that way will you ever stop thinking about it.
  • edited October 2008
    Hello NewBleacher - welcome to the wonderful world of TB! =D

Currently having only entered a few competitions and not actually sent anything off for publication, I am in my own little bubble where it doesn't matter if it's crap as it's still with me where I can change it

When I eventually get to sending manuscripts out - I'll need all the support I can get - I'll be depending on TB [but don't worry it won't be any time soon]
  • Hi NewBleacher. Welcome to Talkback. :P
  • Hi, New Bleacher. Welcome to Talkback. Think about driving a car - or almost anything. You have to start somewhere. You learn through your mistakes. You improve with practice. Best of luck with it!

By the way, October's One Word Challenge is going to start soon. Why not have a go? September's has just finished. It was a good month, but please don't think you couldn't come up with something just as good. If everyone thought 'I'll never write like that,' there'd be no books. :-)
  • Hi Newbleacher and welcome. If you tell yourself your crap at writing then you will be. So, let's draw a line under that statement and start again. Tell yourself: 'I am a writer and writing is a craft that can be improved with practice'. Sure, we all write crap sometimes but the main thing is we're writing. Now get back to your desk and WRITE. Good luck and we're here to help. :)
  • Welcome NewBleacher! :)
  • We must have been writing the above together Jay.
  • I didn't notice you. Were you in the dining room, too?
  • Right next to it mate, I'm looking at the dining room now.
  • Hi and welcome, NewBleacher. I can't add anything to the wise words from others, so just want to wish you luck.
  • It can't all be rubbish! I bet there's some genius in there somewhere? It does take a lot of hard work, reading, more work, editing, work.... and I bet you'll being overly hard on yourself. And getting work rejected is something I'm a professional in!! :D (Shouldn't be happy about that, but still...)

It's your work, your creation, be proud.
  • Thank you. You're all really kind for those words.
    To some extent though, I guess it can't be that crap, if the idea's wont go.. All of us here on the board are here for the same reason.
    Cheers
  • Hi NewBleacher..
  • Hello and welcome!
  • Welcome, NewBeacher.

Good to hear you have put pen to paper. You can't edit a blank page. I find putting things on paper (or screen) helps me to see what works and what doesn't. Usually something worth saving even if it is only a word or phrase that sits well.
  • edited October 2008
    NewBleacher - do you think it would help if you found a writing group that met at least once a month ? You could read out a chapter (or part of a chapter) each time, just to see what people thought of it. A good group will give you constructive criticism - although if you disagree with it, you don't have to take any notice of it!

Forgot to say ... welcome to Talkback!
  • Welcome to TB - the place for advice, friendship, giggles and the odd moan. You're in the right place. As the others have said, just carry on with it. If it's really that bad (or you think it is), it can always be edited and revised. Get the story down and worry about it later.
  • Short and sweet, scratch :D
  • Hi, I know I feel exactly the same but I have ideas I have to write down and then it won't go away and I spend all my spare time thinking about how I can make things tie to together, I listen to peoples stories and file it away in my brain ready to use some day. I have days where I think I'm a total genius then I have days like today where I think what am I doing!! (I'm still working on my first work of art)

Welcome though you've come to the right place.
  • Hello NewBleacher. Welcome to the board of humour, advice and insanity. :)
    Yes we all have times we feel like that, but we remind ourselves we CAN write, and anything wrong can be worked on later.
    And if you ever feel like that, tell us, and we'll give you a reminder...
  • Or a good, old-fashioned kick up the bum :) Sometimes, it's needed!
  • Hi NewBleacher!
  • Hi NewBleacher, welcome to TalkBack. Goodluck with your idea, take your time. Writing a story is like putting a jigsaw together, you're trying to fit the pieces in the right place. It'll work out. :-)
  • Hello and good morning. (I second Jenny's first comment)
  • He newbie, welcome to TB. Haven't got time to read above, so this may have been said before, but start writing. Write, write, write, and you'll get better. Write out the rubbish and then as you read it back, after a gap so it's not fresh in your mind, you'll see what's wrong with it. Then re-write the bits that need it. It's what every writer has doen before you and it's the only way.

If you have the intelligence (and it certainly sounds like you have!) then you can learn to write. Not everyone can get ideas. You have the ideas, so you will get there...
  • Hi and welcome to TB :)
  • Hi, NewBleacher and welcome! If you have good ideas, you're half-way there, so give yourself a confidence boost and believe you've got the next best seller and write it.
  • Hi NewBleacher! Get going with that story, you can do it!
  • Hello New Bleacher, we all think we’re crap at some point or another. Some of us continue to think we’re crap even after seeing our books on the shelves in the bookshops! The point is to keep on writing and you get through that. The first draft might be utter tripe, but if there’s a nugget of story in there that keeps on niggling at you then it will be honed to perfection and you will eventually feel like it’s good enough to send it out.
  • Hi Newbleacher.

Please do not permit yourself to put yourself down or think negatively. We tend to be what we think we are and often achieve what we feel we will achieve.
    It is impossible to make any comment on your writing without seeing it, but no matter wither amazing or personally enjoyable the one thing you can change is self perception. If you can do that your writing and the enjoyment of your writing, is highly likely to improve.

You have already done what many never do and that is actually write. Tens of thousands talk about writing and have storyline concepts. You have already gone beyond that by putting pen to paper. Possibly one of the best things to do is just write. Forget about the mechanics , grammar, spelling, punctuations, even structure. Just write and keep on writing. If you get your story out from your mind and onto paper or hard disk then that first draft can be edited and corrected at any time. The mechanics of the English language and thus writing are of course crucial so that others can enjoy what the writer attempts to convey and express in words. It is a personal feeling though, that it is better to get the story down first, then correct the many aspects of written English. If we get too caught up in the latter often the creativity can be lost in the process of writing.

In closing can I also ask you to consider that if your writing gives enjoyment to you then it is excellent writing. Anything else is a bonus.
  • edited October 2008
    Welcome NewBleacher. You'll find that we're a very friendly lot, anad as others have said you have actually written something. The story is probably good, just the mechanics that need twitching, but you WILL get better - keep trying and log in to some of the discussions on this and other threads - they get your brain cells working and you writing, which all helps with mastering the craft. If you really want to get your story out of the way' so you can concentrate on the next one, how about joining NaNoWriMo, the object being to write a novel in a month. Check out http://www.nanowrimo.org for details. You won't have time to think about whether it's good or not. Once it's written then you can revise it and make it wonderful. Berrymoss and I have joined this year's challenge and other people on here have done it before, saying it's good fun.
  • Hi there and welcome.

Listen to this lot, they make good sense and give you a great confidence fix to believe that little more in yourself.

Remember there is always some light that shines through the tree's and gives you warmth. (Sorry I have a thing for trees!!!)
  • Hi Newbleacher - welcome! :)
  • Hiya NB,

Welcome. I, too, have spent many years with ideas simmering inside me. Problem is they're increasing ferocity and are now bubbling. You know the answer, mate. I've found the only way to get 'em out of your system is to write them down (not just the idea...the whole damn thing!).

And you say you not a very good writer...well, if you write and write and write, you'll get better...simple as.
    DO IT.
    ;)
  • Sorry I'm a little late - hello and welcome.
  • Welcome New Bleacher, even if it is a bit belated, busy writing and looking for freelance work in preparation for February when I will have to go into purder after the eye op. The important thing is you must believe in yourself and tell yourself that you can do it. Go to htpp://easywaytowrite com where you can download a very useful ebook. There are also courses for self study with the Open University to encourage self discipline or keep you on track at least. www.openlearn.ac.uk and it will cost you nothing. Just register and log on, what have you got to lose. Did you ever learn an instrument? If you did, what did your teacher tell you, time and time again, practise makes perfect or nearly so. Writing has to be worked at like any other skill or craft. Good luck and remember, we are all here to support you. If your funds are reasonable, do a course with the OU. In fact if your husband is supportive or if it is the other way around, your wife is likewise, suggest this as a Christmas present. WN Home Study also does courses. So go on, go for it.
  • Hello, NB. Hope you're still writing.
  • Let us know if you are still hanging around, lurking and not posting...
  • Well, New Bleacher, how are you getting on? It is a question of confidence and self discipline really and also of course ideas. Two ways you can do this, keep up a journal, imagine you are one of those BBC correspondents, write down what you did in a nice big diary, go on, splash out or get a large exercise book and just write down what happened, did you invite somone over for lunch, did you have an interesting revealing conversation, write it down briefly, what sort of music did you listen to? What did you give yourselves to eat. Did you go out to lunch then to somewhere interesting?
    Was there something interesting on the radio or television. Concentrate and make a mental note then jot something down afterwards. Start creating an ideas diary. Get yourself a large folder if possible, divide it into twelve months of the year then either put in some lined paper for each month or keep a notebook at hand and transfer it to your computer and print it off if you might have problems deciphering it. It will make a wonderful reference source if you are stuck for ideas but do not need to confine it to the month you are in if say you want something from another month. Be observant too and if you are very courageous, half eavesdrop but you have to be reasonably careful. Imagine what is going on in other people's lives if you can. Watching make over or house moving programmes like Location Location or Relocation, even Escape to the Country can be very revealing with regard to character. After all, this is research and that is most important. Do you visit old country houses or castles etc? We don't go out as much as we should perhaps but with petrol prices still fairly high, one has to think carefully but do you know anyone nearby perhaps who has a large house with a priesthole, is it haunted, why is it haunted, what happened. As I said, go on to Open Learn with the Open University and give yourself some mental exercises that will give you the discipline to write.
    Remember, we are all here to encourage and support you, we are all rooting for you to win and be published.
  • Nice comments, Woll, which many of us could do with taking on board - if only I could find the time................. ;)
  • The most important advice any writer can give another- and it is surprising how many don't do this.
    ALWAYS carry a notebook and pen/pencil. You can guarantee when that great idea or overheard snippet occurs, it will happen when you don't have one to hand.
    As Woll suggested- look and listen.
    And ask why? If something seems stuck, ask why x did that etc.
    Usually works.
  • The last time NewBleacher was here was the 4th Oct, when they first posted. No visits recorded since. Woll, great comments. I hope other TBers will take notice of them and gain something from them and I am hoping Newbleacher will come back to us this year.
  • welcome NewBleacher!
  • Who knows, she may be stuck into something Dorothy, found her muse and now working on something - good news if be the case.
  • I can but hope. Looking through IG's list of Capricorn birthdays, I see several names which have vanished, which is a shame.