Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How can I write text over a picture? Can any TB'ers help please?

edited October 2008 in - Writing Problems
Hi Guys,

I'm about to design a cover for my novel - in fact I've purchased an image from a photo library and imported the image through Word. Since then, I've experienced utter frustration as I've tried in vain to insert the text of the book's title/ author's name onto the image. The only way I've been able to do it, is by using a text box - result: total rubbish, as you lose half the picture!

Any help from TB'ers would be massively appreciated.

Best, Kerry

Comments

• Hi Kerry and welcome!
    If you are using Word then a text box is the best way:
    Once you have created you textbox select it and right click on the thick border.
    in the menu that will be displayed click on 'format text box'
    Under the 'colors and lines tab' in the 'Fill' section select the drop down color menu and select 'No Fill'
    this will give you a transparent text box
    TO get rid of the black border move down to 'Line' select the drop down color menu and select 'No Line'
    You will now have a transparent text box with no outline - perfect for overlaying on pictures!

Hope that helps
  • ... oh, don't forget to click 'OK' :)
  • Hello Kerry, welcome and good luck.
  • Thanks, Scratch, that's a terrific help! And Carol for the "welcome".

Best, Kerry
  • Hi Kerry, hope the above has answered the question. I do a lot of fiddling and fuddling with Word and Publisher. From memory, if you right click on either the picture OR the text, you can move the positioning to the fore or background by using the 'format' or 'order' button.

Clicking on things to the order you want, will enable you to 'send backward' or 'send to back' any text or graphic. Sending something 'backward' or 'forward' will send the object back one layer at a time. If you hit 'Send to back' or 'Send to front' it will make the object go right behind everything or bring it right up in front of everything - behind or in front of 'all' layers.

Not explaining this too well but if you need further help, just give me a hoy and I'll see if I can talk you through it.
  • Kerry: you can re-size the picture to fit the text box, as well. If you click once on the picture, it will be highlighted with a black border. At each corner of the border there's a little black square. You can click and drag the mouse on any of these to expand or shrink the picture until it fits inside the text box.
  • I use Photoshop and Lightroom (as I use them for developing anyway) - you can do it as 'insert watermark' and then it's transparent, so you don't lose half of your picture. never done it using Word but I can see that it may be a lot easier and doesn't require an extra piece of software.
    but if you still can't get the desired effect, I'm more than happy to drescribe the process.
    good luck

joanna
  • Hi Kerry. For text onto a photo I usually right click on it, which opens a menu box, and click 'Edit' which takes the photo to Paint. In Paint I select textbox from the toolbar and this opens two further icons on the toolbar, one for an opaque textbox and the other for a transparent one. This is a simple method for messing about with ideas.

And I always have several copies of the photo to avoid permanently changing the original.