Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A brief grammar query

edited October 2008 in - Writing Problems
A war is raging.
I have written "a house" and my other half vehemently argues that "house" should always be preceeded by "an" (because it begins with an 'h').

I just cannot bring myself to write "an house" because it just sounds SO wrong.
As I failed English Language (a 'C' grade IS a fail in my books), please can someone answer this query and stem-off WWIII?

Any replies gratefully received.
Thank you

(Hickey)

Comments

• This isn't a definite/definitive reply, but I use 'an' before words that (sound as if they) begin with a vowel e.g. apple, orange and heir; and 'a' before words that (sound as if they) begin with a consonant e.g. train, bus and unit.

However, many people seem to say 'an historical event', and I have to say it sounds OK. Maybe that's because the stress is not on the first syllable.

Have you looked in a dictionary in case they explain it there? Or on Google/Wikipedia?
  • He is wrong, you are right. If house were pronounced 'ouse', then an would be correct. An is only used before four words that begin with a silent 'h' - they are hour, honest, honour and heir. You must stick to your guns and stick out your tongue in his direction forthwith.
  • Ah!
    Thank you both very, very much. I couldn't seem to find an answer in my big fat dictionary, nor on the web.
    Maybe I aught to get some sleep? It was one of those queries that eluded me, and was driving me nuts.

Jay: 'An historical event' does sound correct, but 'an house' still doesn't. I'll run with the "stress (not being on the) first syllable" thing...
    McB: I like your explanation and have most certainly waved your post at my boyfriend with glee. He is now arguing with you though. (sigh)
  • edited October 2008
    Bingo! Chambers comes up trumps. Under the entry for 'an', it says: 'used before a vowel sound, and by some (now rarely) before an unstressed syllable beginning with a sounded h'. Hence 'an habitual criminal'.

Hors d'oeuvre, McB?
  • I see your point Hickey, and agree with McB and Jay (and Chambers !)

"An hotel" is still used on some occasions. Which to me always was and still is ridciculous. By trying to say "an hotel" we end up dropping the aitch, and it comes out as "an 'otel" which can't be right - unless you are an actor in "allo, allo" !

I used to have lengthy discussion with small children when reciting the alphabet. I insist (rightly or wrongly) that "H" is pronounced "aitch" and not "haitch" , which sort of confuses people about the dropped H thing even more. Saying "haitch" to me sounds like attempting to put on a Queen's English voice and ending up sounding like less than "posh" !
    Strange language,this English, hisn't it ? ;)
  • A house sounds better.
    I think the aitch or haitch thing depends on where you are in the country, local dialect etc.
    Round here folk don't sound the 'h' in Nottingham- so it comes out as Notting'am. When my oldest was seeing the speech therapist when he was little I was a bit worried about the fact- as I have always pronounced my middle 'h's- and she explained the missing middle 'h' is part of Nottingham dialect.
    So like a lot of things at various times, both 'a' and 'an' can be correct.
    An editor might pick me up on it, but I always opt for what reads naturally, than what is neccesarily grammatically correct.
  • Didn't "Cockneys" years ago drop their aitches for words like house but add them in front of vowels where they didn't belong? That's how they are often portrayed in old books and films!

" 'Ave you got hany 'eavy harticles to 'old, Harthur? "
  • Hickey, you may find it useful to get hold of Fowler's Modern English Usage. It covers subjects like this and many others.
  • THIS IS SO WEIRD!!!

My friend phoned me tonight, and passed me to her daughter, who asked if there should be an 'an' or an 'a' before 'holistic'. I said 'a', but I thought probably both were ok -I then went and looked on the internet, and on a BBC site, 'an' was used' and in lots of other places too, but also, 'a' was used just as frequently...

But clearly, in holistic, the stresses are either equal or on the second syllable, so an would be wrong...
  • Is it maybe an accent/dialect thing?
  • DeneBebbo: Your comment is weird too - last night I book-marked that very volume on Amazon, and suggested to my pinickety boyfriend that he consider buying it for me as a Christmas present! I am in dire need. I think the title (Fowler's) is stored somewhere in my subconscious...

Lexia and Carol: I always say 'aitch', as oppose to 'haitch'.
    I'm from Leicester, which is pronounced 'Less-tah' by most Leicester-fari (Leicester-fari sounds so much better than Leicester-ite, don't you think?)
    Odd that our locals should add and 'h' to a word without one, where as your locals drop the one you have.
    Maybe your 'h' fell into the river and washed downstream to us?
  • Stirling: As you're currently studying, would you recommend the Fowler's, or another? I only have the cash to buy one volume, so I need the best.
  • When I say 'this afternoon' I can hear myself saying 'this h'afternoon. My Mam says onions as on[g]ion which drives me mad.
  • So many accents in such a small island!
  • I don't really use English usage books. I use an Oxford Dictionary, and have read a series of books on grammar (highly recommend those by Noah Lukeman and David Crystal). I rely more on the ear, especially when writing dialogue. Writing grammatically perfect English kills dialogue!
  • Awww, you're right, I know.
    But I'm happiest with a good collection of reference books and it's nice to know the rules, so that I can break them properly.
    I'll look up Noah Lukeman / David Crystal and compare the Fowler's befoer parting with "me cash".
    Ta.
  • David Crystal is a leading linguist, he has a website I'll see if I can find it. And Noah Lukeman wrote a brilliant guide to writing a query letter that we all rave about on here.

Two seconds . . .
  • Follow this link, and you'll find a mass of articles by David Crystal

http://www.davidcrystal.com/David_Crystal/english.htm
  • Ah ha!
    I'm going to be off now... research to do...
    Thank you :-)
  • There's an interesting blog on there too, especially for grammar buffs!
  • Hickey - my absolute favourite reference book on such matters, and which, according to The Times' blurb on the front cover 'Combines the virtues of a first-class work of reference with the pleasure of a good read' - is 'Troublesome Words' by Bill Bryson. He uses Fowlers, and the Oxford dictionary, amongst other works, but translates them into concise, easy to understand, and often funny, bites of grammatical knowledge. If you only have the money for one reference book, you may as well get one that also puts a smile on your face! ISBN 0-141-00135-6
  • Stay away from Lynne Trusses' book, I HATE that book.
  • "But clearly, in holistic, the stresses are either equal or on the second syllable, so an would be wrong..."

Liz, it could be 'an' BECAUSE the stress is on the second syllable.
  • Pretty sure Fowlers is the one I was directed to when I did my A level English and my language and linguistics degree. Lynne Truss's book is Ok and most, if not all, of her grammar is VERY correct.
  • [quote=Hickey]off now... research to do...[/quote]
    Include your local library.

Locally here, (Southwest England) signing up to the library service also provides internet access to such things as the full Oxford Dictionary encyclopaedia.
  • edited October 2008
    Lexia wrote: I insist (rightly or wrongly) that "H" is pronounced "aitch" and not "haitch"

Good for you Lexia! The letter H, as you say, is spelled 'aitch'. It is incorrect to pronounce it 'haitch'.
    Just because many people do pronounce it that way (regional accent or not), that doesn't make it right.
  • edited October 2008
    It should be a house - Jay's explanation sounds about right to me
  • the diversity of language ;)
  • It would only be right on the second syllable if the h was not sounded and it is (I missed entire sentence out there, sorry Jay, still tired I guess).

I do have Fowler's, and it is good. I also have David Crystal, Bill Bryson,The Oxford Guide tho the English Language, Ronald Ridout, The Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors, Eats Shoots and Leaves and William Strunk Jr and EB White's (who wrote Charlotte's Web) the Elements of Style which is wonderful, small, and cheap. Oh and the Shorter Oxford Dictionary (not very short at all!) and Chambers.

Maybe I have too many books. But you can never be too careful, that's what I say.
  • Oxford do a plain English guide which is very good too.

The problem with Lynne Trusses' book is that it is VERY correct, I'm with David Crystal - lets just put a noose around the English language and throttle the life out of it with excessive rules a la the French.

VERY correct and VERY boring, I learned more from Noah Lukeman's book.
  • Excuse me for temporarily reviving this thread...

Jan - I may have to move house because you have written above "Locally here, ... signing up to the library service also provides internet access to such things as the full Oxford Dictionary encyclopaedia."
    What is this? Why has no-one told me of this! I shall be asking about it on Saturday.
    What I really need is a library which opens past 6pm. There is no point going at the weekend for myself, as I spend all my time with the kids.
    If I have to read the Hungry Caterpillar once more, I shall begin to dribble.

One day I shall have one of those amazing dictionaries, printed in separate volumes for each letter.....mmmmmm.
  • Not many open past 6pm Hickey- not unless your Council has suddenly been very generous with it's library funding...
    There are some, but you can always check the local council's website and look up the details there.
  • See Red Editing Pen page 59, Writing Magazine, February 2009.