Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Urgent question on PDF software

edited October 2008 in - Writing Problems
Any of you with software to conver to a pdf file - please can you tell me whether your software preserves the page size.

I am trying to get my manuscript finished for YWO and although I have set the page correctly, the software I downloaded and paid for(aarrgghhh) last night assumes A4, legal or letter paper and plonks a load of white round the edges. I have emailed to complain and asked for money back - it was the one on the Microsoft marketplace so I shall complain to Microsoft next.

Anyway I now need to find some that enables me to take the existing Word file and convert to PDF exactly as it is. I don't want to reset in another word processing package (which probably rules out the free stuff) - but I can't find on any of them any confirmation that they don't do what the one I have already bought does.

Help - please!!!!!!

Comments

• Here's a free one, but it's from a company I use for uploading web pages (Cuteftp software)

It's called Cutepdfwriter also avalable is Cutepdf Pro but that costs $49.95. I haven't used it but Cute products are ok

http://www.cutepdf.com/
  • I've just downloaded it myself and it appears to do what is expected.

You don't open an application - once you have created your document in Word or whatever - go to File/print and select CutePDF Writer as the printer and 'print' to that - it creates a pdf for you to save where you like. This can be printed or emailed as any other pdf doc.
  • Scratch - does it maintain the sizing of a 6" x 9" page?
  • edited October 2008
    thanks scratch! I was looking for something like that myself. I've been using one at work which is an add-in for Word, but need one for use at home. btw I've used CuteFTP and it's okay, so I know the company as well as your recomendation.
  • Er ... dunno Mutley ... back in a bit ...
  • Right I'm back.

Simple answer appears to be no. I think the reason is something to do with it producing the pdf as a 'print to file' method and most printers (unless fancy and expensive) only do A4/Letter. For that kind of flexibility you may have to spend out on something like the 'pro' version with lots more settings to fiddle with.

Sorry about that Mutley - further research required ...
  • Adobe are the originators of pdf (I think) they provide an on-line creation service at :

https://createpdf.adobe.com/

might be worth looking at to find out if it can deal with your 6x9 ... but ya gotta pay!
  • Thanks Scratch. I'll take a look. It's got to wait til Friday now. I have to go away to speak at a conference tomorrow. I'm full of cold, hubby has missed his flight home which means I have a hectic start trying to get stepson to school, dog to kennels and not miss my train. I'm off to bed now but will look at that one as soon as I can.

Thank you everyone for your help - whispered and public.
  • Safe journey Mutley.
  • [quote=Mutley]Scratch - does it maintain the sizing of a 6" x 9" page?[/quote]

Just been using this very software for an anthology I've been helping to compile. Converting to PDF using CutePDF DID maintain the page size (which was a US page size, therefore non-standard in all conceivable ways :) ), but I had to make sure the page size was correctly set in Word first.

When I print, of course, I'm printing onto A4 paper, so the pages appear with large white margins. But if the PDF is going to a print company with the resources to do digital printing on non-standard paper sizes, it should work fine.

Don't know if that's any help!
  • I'm coming a bit late to this thread so people might have lost interest by now.

For what it's worth, I use a program from docuDesk for which I paid about ten pound. It seems to do everything I want (including converting PowerPoint presentations to pdf files) but here's a suggestion if you want to do it for free:

Register with Lulu, go through the motions of publishing and download the file that they convert to pdf for you. Sounds sneaky but I'm sure Lulu wouldn't mind - always a chance you might be hooked by their publishing programmes.