Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Any TB Techies out there? I'd appreciate your help with JPEGs

KazKaz
edited October 2008 in - Writing Problems
Does anybody know how to save an MS Word doc (with an image in it) as a JPEG? Do I need special software to do it? I've tried looking in the 'save as' option box - but there's no 'save as JPEG.'

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best, Kaz

Comments

• this is a tricky one, don't think I can help. Word and jpegs are two different animals, it would seem. I use Photoshop for jpegs but that doesn't always encompass a whole document with an image in it. Can it not go separately, image and document?
  • hmm...how big is the file and how much text? could you fit it onto the screen at once? If you can do it i'd suggest:
    press the button 'print screen' (on my keyboard it's abbreviated to 'prt sc' so it'll be similar) and then in the word file, press ctrl v (which is keyboard shortcut for paste). An image of the whole screen will appear as a picture.

If that suits it, do the ctrl v in a paint file and then make the canvas the same size as the picture (i.e. making sure there's no white) and save it as a jpeg.
    If you want bits chopped off it, you just resize the canvas as required or crop it in word then cut it from there and paste it into paint, whichever program you like best.

if you mean you want it to be a large file i.e. novel size, i wouldn't see that as very possible to do. Best there would be to transfer all the text into a paint file and save that as a jpeg.
  • the simplest way is to open the original image in paint, you can then add text to it and save it as a jpg.
  • I can do this on my mac very easily, and can tell you how to get software which you can use to make a jpeg of anything. It was developed for mac, and Pc can't use it as the operating system can't cope with it.

It was developed by a small Australian company called plasq.com, and it is called 'skitch'.

Basically, it's piece of software which gives you a window in which you can draw things. You can also put photos in it to draw on, and documents to draw on -- it has the facility to take a photo of anything - a web page, a document, a drawing you've made, anything, and then you can change it or not. But it is saved as a jpeg.

If you want, you could send me the document, I could photograph it and then make a jpeg and send it back to you as a jpeg.
  • A jpg file is simply for compressing and saving images, so the words would have to be, as Neph says, in a paint document.

Why do you need to save it as a jpg file anyway? If you insert pics into a word document, then when the document is opened, the pics are still there - so why not save it as a word document? If whoever you are sending the file to has requested pics in jpg form, then the best thing to do is to send the pics in a separate file to the words, perhaps with boxes in the text labelled 'pic 1 here' etc.
  • Liz paint does exactly the same thing on a pc.
  • You're right Neph - simply open the document in paint, then save a copy as a jpeg. Voila. Job done :)
  • does it come with Word? I've had several people asking me how I did Skitch type things who have PCs... it's be good to say you can do it too...can it snap websites? Sketch ideas or write by hand or with any font onto screenshots from the web or photos or documents or applications? All in seconds? Or is it more like photoshop?
  • Thanks fellow TB'ers - I sincerely appreciate all your help. To answer your question, Mcbemused, as to why I need the JPEG format, it's for this flipping YWO/ Legend publishing thingy. That's how they want the cover image sent. Will try what you guys suggest.

Best, Kaz
  • I don't know if this will help, but if it's a cover pic with only a few words, I'd be trying to save it onto your desktop. Once the file is there on your desktop, THEN try the 'Save As' option.

Might not work but anything is worth a try. Good luck, Kaz.