Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What do you have problems with? Grammar/Spelling etc

edited October 2008 in - Writing Problems
Thought I'd start a post with people putting down their grammar/spelling problems. Might be worthwhile, because sometimes I have a query and, because I've just placed one in the last month or so, feel too embarrassed about asking for help again so soon. And as I've seen "my problems", in other peoples posts answered I thought if we put all our grievances/worries/niggles etc in one pile it'll be easier to look through to see if you spot your grievance/worry/niggle etc. Maybe others feel the same... or not?

Right, I struggle with passed/past.

I can understand "past" as far as: past is before today. History. But then the rules change, and we have past being used in all manner of things. Then there's "passed". So what is the difference between them?

Comments

• Passed is as in the past tense of passing a ball - he passed the ball. To pass the ball. Passing the ball. The clue is if it has two esses.

You can also say, some time has passed, but it would be the same rule -time passes, it can pass, it has passed.
  • i have problems with spelling things like assassinate, whether there are two esses or one, but luckily, there is the spellcheck...
  • 'pass' verb. 'passed' obviously past tense, and 'passed out of use' past participle.

'past' as in 'in past times' is an adjective.(those times have passed away)

When 'passed' becomes an adjective we spell it 'past'

That is supposed to be the rule but...'he passed me by' is ok but what about 'he went past me' ?...I think it is still an adjective...
  • my problem is simply that I no longer remember what any of the grammatical terms are, adverbs, etc. I just use the language as it feels right. It is not a bad thing to keep asking, even if you think you are asking too often, just go ahead and do it. I mentioned to my daughter last night one of my authors who uses reigns for reins all the time and another who has never learned the difference between their there they're and mixes them all up all the time. Makes for fun editing...
  • Does it make you want to assassinate them D?
  • sometimes ... and the, people who, over comma, because they have, never learned, that less is more.
  • I'm like Dorothy in that respect, I do the stuff but have forgotten the terminology for them- so have to look them up.

At the moment I seem to be using more ; in place of commas, but they are in the right places, so I suppose it just says something about how I am writing at the moment.

My word that causes difficulty is discreet and discrete.
  • Carol, I remember it because the one where the e's are separate, means separate - and the other one is the other one.
  • Beautifully explained, Heather! :D
  • I get independent and independant mixed up. If I don't check then I get them wrong. There are lots of other words that confuse me too. The thing is, I think my brain is turning to mush because these days even if I look something up or if someone explains there is still a very high chance I won't remember!
  • You have to look it up each time, right? Me too. :)
  • [quote=dorothyd]my problem is simply that I no longer remember what any of the grammatical terms are, adverbs, etc. I just use the language as it feels right. [/quote]

Thank you for making me feel normal Dorothy. I really never think about grammatical terms.
  • you're welcome. I'm too far away from school, (50 years!) to remember the finer points of grammar. I just know when I write something if it feels correct or not. I also know when I am over writing, because it feels good and then I have to take it all out ...
  • Thanks Bill and Liz, but still none the wiser re passed/past. It just will not go in. Anyone got a hammer?

I suppose (hopefully) it's one of those spellings that as long as you're consistent?
  • I remember it as past relates to time specifically, while passed- time can pass or something can be passed.
    It may not be exact but it works for me.
  • you need to stand back from it, Louise, and take a fresh look at it after you have written it. 'He passed me by' is right.
    'He went past me' is also right. Depends on how you write the sentence. You will see the difference if you don't rush the reading. Says me anyway! It does matter when writing, you do need to get it right.
  • Reading aloud will often tell you which is right.
    I had this problem the other day (I was editing my entry for the club competition next month) and I'd originally written 'among the trees'. It just didn't sound right, so I came to either 'amid' or 'amidst', and checked the dictionary- either would do for the context I needed.
    As it has to be read aloud it was the ease of saying amid, rather than amidst (which I stumble over saying) that decided it.
  • Louise here is a link to a full explanation:

http://www.towson.edu/ows/past.htm
  • I think this is a great idea. Being dyslexic, I often get lots of words wrong. Knew/new know/no and many many more. But I've learnt to read my sentence backwards and ususally spot the wrong words. I find typing helps me feel the wrong letters, but often I'm at the dictionary trying to work out what the spelling might be. And as for grammar/mer, I can't ever remeber learning grammar, comma's and such. I just shove them in and hope for the best. Having said that, I am getting better - I hope?
    An agent I recently had a meeting with, liked my work, but said that I'd have to get it proffessioanlly edited before she would consider submitting the work. she doesn't do any editing herself, so when she said no to taking me on, I thougth it was probably for the best. if only I could do better!
  • I get mixed and muddled and annoyingly confused with tenses. I’m never sure..
    judging from things I’ve read it doesn’t seem to matter.
    But which of these two extracts looks/reads/sounds better/correct?
    It’s from a story I’m re-jigging for a comp which has a theme which exactly suits. A version of this has won minor comp all ready but since the theme is perfect for this comp I may as well give it another outing. Have to post it tomorrow.
    She is walking the beach and remembering her childhood... the little ship symbolises several things in the story...

‘...Each year the hulk of their little ship HAD BEEN less and less visible and every summer in her childhood memory she remembered it BEING further up the beach. The sea had crept inches and then yards up the shore slowly devouring the ageing face of the earth, and their pretty ship had sunk into the soft bed; and then it was gone - as if in stop frame photography - frame by frame - images summer by summer - gone; eaten by the sea in a moment....’
    ==========

‘...Each year the hulk of their little ship WAS LESS AND LESS VISIBLE. Each summer, in her childhood memory she remembered it HAVING BEEN further up the beach. The sea had crept inches and then yards up the shore slowly devouring the ageing face of the earth, and their pretty ship HAD SUNK into the soft bed; and then it was gone - as if in stop frame photography - frame by frame - images summer by summer - gone; eaten by the sea in a moment....’

...their pretty ship HAD SUNK into the soft bed... [ should this be ‘their pretty ship SANK into the soft bed...?]
    ©
  • personally I prefer how the second one reads, but it may not be right for the whole thing.
  • thanks, Carol. Am beginning to think you're right. Sounding better is preferable to being pedantically right. The second version was the original. Perhaps I was right the first time. I always worry about it.
  • Yikes - well Bill - rightly or wrongly I would go with a combination!

...their little ship was less visible...she remembered it being further up the beach...their pretty ship had sunk...

But what do I know? :)
    Where's Jay - he's pretty hot on grammar.
  • I agree Claudia 'being' could fit as well- you really do have to look at the whole, which only the writer themselves can decide in the end.
    Good luck Bill.
  • I'd go with:
    was less visible
    being further up the beach
    ship had sunk
  • edited October 2008
    My comments in your text.

‘...Each year the hulk *** do you mean HULL? Hulk sounds odd for a pretty little ship*** of their little ship HAD BEEN *** possibly HAD BECOME *** less and less visible and every summer in her childhood memory she remembered it BEING further up *** is it changing each year? Don't you mean DOWN? *** the beach. The sea had crept inches and then yards up the shore slowly devouring the ageing face of the earth, and their pretty ship had sunk into the soft bed; and then it was gone - as if in stop frame photography - frame by frame - images summer by summer - gone; eaten by the sea in a moment....’
    ==========

‘...Each year the hulk *** see 1st version comment *** of their little ship WAS LESS AND LESS VISIBLE *** sounds OK ***. Each summer, in her childhood memory she remembered it HAVING BEEN further up *** HAVING BEEN sounds OK, but see 1st version comment ***the beach. The sea had crept inches and then yards up the shore slowly devouring the ageing face of the earth, and their pretty ship HAD SUNK into the soft bed; and then it was gone - as if in stop frame photography - frame by frame - images summer by summer - gone; eaten by the sea in a moment....’

...their pretty ship HAD SUNK into the soft bed... [ should this be ‘their pretty ship SANK into the soft bed...?] *** I prefer HAD SUNK ***
    © Bill
  • edited October 2008
    Louise, it's probably been answered, but a simple way you might be able to remember the difference between past and passed is to imagine the sound of a ball or a bullet being passssssssed over your head. It would sort of make a whistling or a pssst sound. ie: More esses.
    Past tense, past knowledge etc., are in the Past. Ago. Short and Sweet. Gone.
    Everything else has passed away (to pass away), passed you by (it will pass you by), passed overhead (to pass overhead), passed from one to another (Pass it to him). The act of passing. Then you'll hear the sssss as it goes past. (As it's gone)

(None of that probably makes any sense) :rolleyes:
  • Does to me IG, just what I was trying to say and spectacularly failed at.
  • Thanks IG, I understood too.

It's a bit like TO and TOO. I used to get mixed up with them until someone told me that TOO is spoken as it sounds; and TO sounds like TUH.
    Now, if To and Too is wrong it is glaringly obvious to me.

Just don't get me started on effect and affect!!! I'll avoid them at all costs.
  • Those two always confuse me too.
  • the problems that make me want to go after other people with chainsaws are:
    too to two
    there their they're

effect affect
    =
    The acid affected the alkaline
    The government has effected a non-effective strategy.

i.e. affect is more personal
    effect is more factual.

The problem I had with this extract was that it constantly repeated itself. I like to make my things succinct.
    ‘...Each year the hull of their little ship became less visible; in her summery childhood memories, she remembered it being further up the beach. The sea had crept inches and then yards up the shore, and their pretty ship had sunk into the soft bed; and then it was gone - eaten by the sea....’
  • edited October 2008
    A ship is NOT pretty!
    It can be majestic, a heap of timber. :)

Sorry, just a thought...and I'm not writing it so who cares...
  • I agree. Pretty conjures up something cute, small and sweet.
  • well, small means little. Though perhaps i'd not agree necessarily that a ship that's lying on the beach would be pretty...i'd imagine it to stink quite a bit of salt and of the sea's many micro-organisms, plus to be quite rough because of the abrasive nature of sand/shingle moved by the waves.
  • edited October 2008
    like rotten and missing teeth.
  • it was a very small ship - a coaster, and it was new; freshly painted, newly riveted. It was pretty to the two small 10 year olds who met on holiday the summer that the ship beached.
    The sea figures largely as a theme and there is a lot of deliberate repetition and short/long sentences to reflect rhythm of sea....
  • Sorry, Bill, we tend to get carried away on here.
  • we apply our own memories to descriptions...