Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

It's all in research...

edited November 2008 in - Writing Problems
but I'm writing a scene where the heroin is drunk. I'm having a funny but cringe-worthy time remembering the weird and wonderful things I've done under the influence. :D

But I'm trying to write it as "showing", I don't want to say, "Sarah bumped off the wall, fell off the kerb to fall in the gutter in a tangle of legs and arms...." I want it from her persepctive, if you know what I mean:
The wall hit Sarah and the kerb tripped her up.... but it sounds, er, not right. Is there a way around it?

Comments

• If you wanting her perspective, then I would suggest trying first person.

Also in the sentence she is hitting the wall and falling off the kerb simultaneously (?)
  • I don't like writing in the first person. I wonder if where that's where I'm going wrong?

She's bumping off the wall, and then falling down the kerb.
  • she walked out of the pub, raising her hand to her head, frowning, trying to focus on what she was looking at, trying to remember where she was meant to go. She uttered a sharp groan as her shoulder grazed the brick wall. "Gonna be a bruise," she murmured, and rubbed her arm as her foot plunged off the kerb. She yipped as she stumbled into the gutter. Behind her, someone laughed. Anger flared inside her.
  • that's good TD.
  • edited November 2008
    ty Carol
  • Thanks TD. :D
  • glad to help :)
  • Carol, someone wrote somewhere (can't remember who, but who cares): to show and not tell, remember the five senses.
  • Jane Wenham Jones said something like that in the current issue of WM.
  • Oh, in that case I beg her pardon.
  • Show not tell should be what you think about when you're writing anyway.
    It is quite a subjective thing for a writer to have their character show themselves being drunk, as each drunk is different- depending on how much has been consumed, and how little or much it takes to effect your senses.
  • [quote=louise]want it from her persepctive[/quote]
    Perhaps:-
    Trying to focus the alcohol blurred images, Sarah bounced from wall to kerb. Viewing clown antics, through tangled legs and arms, she floated from kerb edge to feel gutter catch her from gravities pull.
  • Has anyone ever noticed the difference of watching drunken behaviour when sober and when drunk?
  • Not really considered it Stirling.
    But even when I was younger I never got drunk.
  • I don't often, but I wonder if those who do realise how ridiculous their behaviour looks to the sober?
  • Doubt it...:)
  • Oh, but it's so much fun!!! :D
  • i watched my boyfriend stumble on his way to the loo while he was drunk...he maintained that he was only tipsy, however i was able to fool him that for months he'd done something so terrible so he kept asking me for ages what it was, he was so convinced.
  • Cruel girl...;)
  • Louise, friends of mine wrote a song about getting plastered (they had experience, being musicians...) - and one of the lines was about the floor coming up to meet you. Would that help?
  • Thanks Taffeta, that's a good one.

Thanks again everyone for your input.