Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

is there such a thing as too much plot?

edited November 2008 in - Writing Problems
Help please! I'm wondering if i have brought in too much plot (and if that is possible).

I have the main plot and i have tried to work out my conflicts along the way. But it seems for each new chapter i have now an entirely different set of characters and happenings. Although the main characters wander through these happenings i am now begining to think that what i've done is basically written 20 plots (i dont want a book of short stories!).

Should i remove some of these places/plots and write them seperately? Or perhaps touch on them and then expand on the theme in another book later?

I know its a bit vague, but any advice would be welcome please.

Comments

• You'll have short stories if the subplots are all separate from each other; but you'll have a novel if they all interconnect.

I'd stop worrying and just write. See what happens. You might well find that you end up with a wonderful book.
  • Thank you!
  • Personally, I don't like too many characters in my novels. This is why I can't get on with Martina Cole books - she introduces far too many too soon and I can't keep up with them all! This is purely my own view and I'm probably in the minority as she clearly shifts millions of books. But for me, I much prefer a Nicci French thriller, with fewer characters, but at least you get to know them intimately.
  • So far i have 1 main characters and 2 lesser characters that are the subject of the book. For example in chapter one they are in place number 1 then by chapter 2 they are in another place and then a few passing characters wander along. By chapter 3 one of the characters has moved on and we now have a 3rd location and another set of people.... do you see what i mean? (it pretty much goes on like that)

It's reading ok to me (but it still in expanded plot form) but i'm so close to it, that i wonder if the plot is going to be a bit messy.
  • Do you have a common point that links them all? So you can lose and introduce new characters without the reader asking why they've gone and a new character has arrived.
  • Try writing a synopsis, or summarise the story in no more than a page. If you find it hard, you may have too much plot. Another technique is to imagine your book as a film. Imagine watching the trailer. What would the voice-over say? For example: "He was a man no one could trust, until he met the woman everyone hated" - that sort of thing.
  • I love Nicci French too. Never tried Martina Cole (just one of those authors I know I will hate.)

My novel has three main characters and five others. I suppose it depends on the genre, but crime novels do tend to have a bigger cast. But yes, I think you can over do plot at the expense of character. I don't necessarily like writers like Simon Kernick who write a plot at break-neck speed because they seem to sacrifice character.

I also get very concerned about my plot twists that they aren't melodramatic, I think a bad/over the top ending can ruin an otherwise good novel.
  • A problem i have is the fact that this novel is fantasy and i'm working on a crime novel as well. So i'm cross-genreing (!) if i'm not careful.

Because this is fantasy, i've got a strange collection of supporting cast members and i am concerened about overwriting the whole thing.
  • I'd just go with it and see what happens, as HPRW says. You can always go over it later on if you think it's been overworked.
  • Is it possible that any of the minor characters could be combined Amanda?
    Personally, I don't like books with too many characters who seem to float in for a particular scene and are never seen again. It makes me feel it's not worth investing in the characters as you don't know how long they're going to be there! But that's just my opinion.
    There is a 'rule' that a novel shouldn't have more than a certain number of named characters (can't remember how many exactly. 12?) but we all know what rules are there for, and if you feel your book is working the way it is, then go with how you feel.
  • I have eight named characters. Although I'm considering a ninth.

I remember my early writing attempts, I ended up cutting the amount of characters in half. Just the process of learning how to write I'm afraid!