Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

blimming apostrophe (two week's''''' time)

edited November 2008 in - Writing Problems
The hubbub of her work colleagues, happily planning Saturday night’s office party in two week's time, drifted around her.
or
The hubbub of her work colleagues, happily planning Saturday night's office party in two weeks time, drifted around her.
or
The hubbub of her work colleagues, happily planning Saturday night’s office party in two weeks’ time, drifted around her.

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Comments

• I'm pretty sure it's the last one: two weeks' time.
  • Definitely the last one.

There's another long article on the apostrophe in today's Mail. I'm amazed pupils in schools are not told that the word its, meaning belonging to it, does not have an apostrophe, while it's stands for abbreviated it is, yet I read a short story the other day where a prize-winning writer used an apostrophe for the former.
  • No. 3, Louise (although I was sorely tempted by number 2...)
  • 'Tis number three... I think it's difficult 'cos you don't think of time being possesive... and they are both references to time...it's confusing...
  • Thanks.
    Sometimes they look odd, don't they? And you're not sure whether to include them or not. Other times they look like they belong and have no problem.
  • It's the last one because weeks' is plural and possessive
  • edited November 2008
    Louise, it may make more sense to you if you think about:

one week's time.

The main bit is obviously "one week".

If you're having trouble, you may be able to change the order of the words -
    instead of "The CATS bowl", think "The bowl belonging to the CAT (or to the CATS).
    Then you simply place the apostrophe after the relevant word (either CAT-apostrophe-S or CATS-apostrophe, depending on how many cats there are).
  • Good explanation, Jay :)