Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My Writing is in crisis

edited November 2008 in - Writing Problems
Ok that is maybe a slight exaggeration but I am getting worried. I have went from writing a good amount everyday to nothing. The prime reason has been I have been getting a lot of headaches. It is now at the point I am scared to sit down and write incase it brings on a headache. It is starting to have a real impact now.

I am going to get myself to the doctors but does anyone else have a similar problem? Any suggestions for ways round it?

Comments

• Sorry to hear that, Emma B and hope you will feel better soon and will be able to start writing again. (Funnily enough, I had the same problem this morning, but it's unusual and must be due to a very late night.) Is there anything worrying you, apart from not writing? Your doctor should be able to help, I hope.
  • Once you've checked out the obvious medical things (eyes etc) what about the kind of light you are using? Do you write by hand or computer? It could be a bright screen and dark room.

Is the writing stressing you? Check your posture (mine turned out to be that i was holding my shoulders up which gave me headaches!) Why not just wander around with a note pad and just make a few jottings here and there rather than sitting down to write. Maybe your worring about it is making it worse.

I have total sympathy as i had that for a while. Have a hug and i hope you get sorted out soon.
  • Do you wear glasses Emma? (if not you may need them, so I would see an optician) I had a similar problem in the summer, turned out my prescription was totally wrong.

Right now, I don't feel like writing so I don't. Sometimes forcing yourself to write is the worse thing you can do.
  • I also had a wrong prescription - oddly, my eyes had got better! I would sit down to write and within 15 - 20 mins have a splitting headache and want to vomit.
  • that sounds nasty.
  • Oh poor fiona
  • It was all sorted when I went to the optician and she told me my eyes had actually got better (!) and I shouldn't be wearing the specs anymore.
  • You could try wearing sunglasses at the computer as it helps lessen the glare.
    It works for me!
  • Have you made an appointment to see an optician yet Emma?
  • how are you today?
  • Thanks everyone. Still havent made any appointments but I think its mainly down to stress to be honest. Just gonna have to get things in order and stop gettin so worked up.
  • one way to help against stress may be to set some time aside to have a scented bath. Oils like Rose and Ylang Ylang are excellent for stress relief. Also, when out of the bath, maybe burning a bit of lemon or geranium or juniper in an oil burner, which are good for clearing the air of negativity and helping clear the mind.
  • Emma, I suspect that NanoWriMo could be the cause of the stress. Don't pressurize yourself too much, or you will kill the book.
  • oh golly, you're doing NaNoWriMo? no wonder then...definitely treat yourself to an ice cream sundae or an apple pie with custard and ice cream!
  • Sorry to hear you can't write for fear of headaches, Emma. If it is stress, do you know how to relax successfully? Physical relaxation, that is. Have you tried yoga? Or simply targeting your relaxation for 'places that hurt'?
  • Can I ask what Nanawrimo is? I heard it mentioned a few times on here but not really sure.
    I symapthise about the wrting, must be very frustrating.
  • national Novel Writing Month, it's a charity-related challenge to write a whole novel (can't remember the word limit) in one month, usually November, so writers all over the world take part in the challenge. It's pretty cool, and very challenging but very satisfying.
  • 50,000 words I think - quite a few TBers participating - well done them! :)
  • I don't know how they do it. Well done.
  • I couldn't do it - 50,000 words in 30 days.
  • I'm certain I couldn't unless I abandoned hubby and kids and booked somewhere quiet and warm with room service...that's beginning to sound very tempting! he he he
  • yes gina, it sounds wonderful! I would love some central heating (bored with the sight of logs now) and room service hmmmmm
  • And no phone line so no one can distract you.
  • That ain't gonna happen for me Carol.
  • No me neither. :)