Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Harsh criticism

Comments

• A friend badgered me for a glimpse of my novel in progress. I selected a couple of pages that were mildly humerous and I thought reasonable. Comments were "oh it's not my kind of book" "I don't like farce" "perhaps it will be better when the whole book is read". My writers circle seemed to think it was O.K. but could be improved by more dialogue. Up to then I had been writing well and enjoying myself, now with the hot weather and the comments I seem to have stalled completely. Should I scrap the book and start again or to hell with them and plough my own furrow?
  • Crazy Horse, don't give up, whatever you do. 

I'm deliberately not showing anyone anything I've written of my novel so far, as 1. it's a first draft, so I haven't done even the most basic editing/revising, 2. I don't think a few pages or chapters will make sense out of context, 3. I'm not 100% sure what direction it will ultimately take, so don't want to be put off by criticism before I'm even clear about this myself.

Please, please don't give up on your novel.
  • Keep on writing.
  • Never ever give up.  Do what you want, don't show anyone until it's finished, and then you'll be clear in your own mind about all aspects of what you've written.

If you get negative feedback, it's bound to make you feel a bit strange, but just ignore it.  Like Dorothy says, all art is subjective by its very nature. If we all liked the same music, for instance, there would be no market for anything different.  Now, that WOULD be boring!

Stick with it - it'll come right in the end.
  • I agree with the others, Crazy Horse.  Please don't be discouraged. But I wouldn't be badgered into sharing your work again if I were you - I'd only share it when I felt ready, and with the people of my choosing. Good luck with the rest of the novel - I hope you rekindle your enjoyment.
  • Don't give up CH. Ignore the harsh criticism. One day you will see your novel on the bookshop shelves. I went into a bookshop recently and there was my book for sale. I resisted the temptation to pick it up and wave it about. So keep on writing.
  • I agree with all of the above CH. Who is this friend? Would he/she like to write too? Keep going until you reach the end of your novel. That will be a great achievement in itself. At that stage you may decide that you want to change a lot of things. You may even decide to ditch it and start on book 2. It's all part of the learning  experience. Just keep moving forward with your project. You will get there in the end. Good luck to you.
  • Have faith in YOURSELF
  • Have you spent less time with your friend than before you started writing? Your friend may see your project as a rival if you are paying them less attention than before. Also jealousy manifests itself in all manner of ways. Definitely don't give up. True friends should be supportive and give constructive criticism at the very least. I would take more notice of what is said by the other members of your writing circle.
  • CrazyHorse, when you started this, you were excited and felt it had possibilities. Keep going! Think good thoughts!
  • Stephen King gives the best advice in 'On Writing' - "write with the door closed".

Don't show anyone anything until you're done and polished. Then show it to someone who's opinion you value, never to friends, family or anyone you sleep with (unless you're sleeping with an agent, publisher or editor - then blackmail them!).
  • My novel is currently on a CD-Rom in the hands (probably not literally) of Nic Waulker, the drummer from Bluehorses and a good friend.  I think you can give your work to friends to read, so long as you choose the right friends.  I always pick my friends carefully, anyway, so I never have a problem, but he's still the first person to have seen it.  I value his opinion, as he won't give me any bull**** - he knows better than to try, anyway.
  • but a drummer?

Aren't they guys who hang around with musicians?

*Ducks and runs for cover*
  • Mike! Even drummers must read sometime!
  • I know the jokes about drummers (so does Nic, to his ultimate chagrin!), but this particular drummer is extremely well-read.  Believe me, I've seen his bookshelves :o)
  • So what are the jokes about drummers?
  • or would it better if I didn't ask?
  • Stan, generally along the lines that they're a bit thick :o) 
  • Fick? Just cos we bangs drums, wot?
  • I thought the drummer jokes might be risque. Obviously I'm reading too much into things.
  • Hi. Let me just echo what most others have said, and I'm not getting involved in the drum debate!
    First, never give up. In my agent's opinion, the most important quality for any writer is persistence - no matter what anyone says about your writing, you must keep going.
    Second, listen and react to criticism, but only as long as it's justified. Someone who says 'I don't read farce' or whatever, will never buy your book and his or her opinion of it is irrelevant. But if someone says your writing isn't funny, and he or she DOES enjoy that kind of book, you should certainly look at your manuscript again. I'm also very cautious about showing work to friends, because you normally get one of two reactions. Either they say it's wonderful, because they want to stay friends with you, or they're perhaps a bit jealous of what you've achieved and make some kind of carping criticism to try and score points or put you down. It's very diificult to find somebody you know who'll be completely impartial about your writing.
    Third, I'd never give somebody a 'couple of pages' to look at, and definitely never a work that wasn't pretty much fully revised and polished. No reader can form a reasonable impression of a book without reading at least a chapter.
    Fourth, don't take justified criticism personally. If somebody doesn't like what you've written and tells you so, and they know what they're talking about, you should regard what they've said as a useful pointer to improve your work.
    But, above all, never give up.
    James Barrington
  • Feedback on your work is a good idea but it's just a personal opinion after all which you can take or leave.  Think of it like this, if you asked someone how to mend a car,build a rockery, make a cake, you'd be told a thousand different ideas. Just decide for yourself and enjoy your writing!
  • I gave a manuscript to a family member who returned it four weeks later. When I asked her whta she thought, her reply was "It's good"
    Two things; 1. she had taken 4 weeks to read it! 2. "Good" won't cut it with a publisher. When I gave the same manuscript to another family member who was better qualified to cast a critical eye over my efforts, she confirmed my suspicions. It required some serious editing!