Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What would you grab?

edited June 2011 in Off-topic
I have just got back from a lovely weekend in Gloucestershire. However this morning at 5.45.a.m. the fire alarm sounded in the hotel so we had to get out quick (I have never put a pair of trousers on so fast in my life). When we got outside I noticed that almost all the women had grabbed their handbags including me.
If your house was on fire what would you grab?
I think I would go for my laptop it has lots of photographs on it as well as writing material.

Comments

• I'd probably go with my handbag.

Whenever we have a fire drill at work (usually the coldest wettest day of the year) I stand there freezing to death and everyone else has handbags and coats.

So is it only at school that you should leave everything behind? When I was at school we didn't really have anything of value on us - bans on mobile phones were only just coming in... and my mobile was like a brick!
  • That`s easy my dog
  • My fire alarm as it's the only thing I'd know for sure that was still working.
  • [quote=B Darter]If your house was on fire what would you grab?[/quote]

My cats would be the first thing.
    Then laptop and camera (if I could).... and my 'Much Ado About Nothing' programme signed by David Tennant.

What? It's David Tennant! ;)
  • Grab handbag and stuff in my blood pressure medication, my insulin and blood glucose monitor and in passing my memory sticks- they are all within reach of each other...
  • Contact lenses/glasses, boob and external drive that has my pc backed up - oh, keys to unlock the door.
  • I'd grab the night porter's bottom.

phhhwwwwoar
  • [quote=Baggy Books]boob[/quote]

?
  • The clue is in the word BR. Wake up.
  • Laptop and pen drive.
  • I would hope Iwas in a supermarket at thetime, then I'd have an excuse to grab EVERYTHING off the shelves bung them in my trolley and leggit out without paying
  • Well... i guess check the children if home are out, then the cat and dog, then the computer hard drive and photos from the photo cupboard... hopefully I wouldn't then be dead.
  • LizLiz
    edited June 2011
    Should mention my insulin pump is attached to me and a blood glucose monitor, although i need it constantly, would be borrowable from hospital/Drs, and having had my handbag stolen once already i know everything in it can be replaced.

BUT if I was away from home, my handbag would be an easy choice!
  • My mum saw someone being sick in their handbag once.
  • Once would be enough.
  • Not if you were intending to pinch it.

One needs to get one's money's worth, don'tchaknow.
  • Apart from the handbag it would be my cat, the blue tabby one
    made at Ewenny pottery in South Wales.
  • edited June 2011
    [quote=Chippy]I'd probably go with my handbag.[/quote]
    [quote=Carol]my insulin and blood glucose monitor [/quote]

Mine are usually in my handbag anyway.
  • [quote=Chippy]Mine are usually in my handbag anyway. [/quote]

I'd need the second handbag to keep mine in Chippy :) they'd fill the small handbag I'm using at the moment...
  • If my house was on fire I would grab my handbag too and my laptop, if there was time I might also grab the cartes de visite album that my aunt gave me and dates from 1850.
  • I would grab the laptop, let the cat out the back, pick up my notebook and pen then leg it!

Save Mum first of course.
  • I'm a ditherer. I wouldnt' be able to decide.
  • Children, husband, pets, laptop or memory stick - whichever was nearest (of the latter two items, I mean, not the whole list!).
  • edited June 2011
    Is no one saving Teddy? :(
  • My glasses and the hamster.
  • edited June 2011
    [quote=Jay Mandal]Is no one saving Teddy? [/quote] I am! Poor Mr Teddy.
  • perhaps I could help and grab somebody else's handbag, as I don't have one

and if they have a man handy they'd like grabbing, I'm sure I could assist quite well there too

"huffs on hands and rubs them together"
  • You wouldn't want my man Dora I can guarantee that. That`s why I saved the dog.
  • What, you saved the dog for the man, so he won't bother you again?

Or, you're saving the dog for laters?

Hmmm.
  • Oh, BB! I was assuming he would be grabbing with me...
  • Of course!
  • dora: My mum saw someone being sick in their handbag once
    I saw someone pick up a crash helmet in a crowded pub and vomit into it and put it back. I didn't hang around to see what happened when the biker put it on.
  • I bid for a teddy in a charity auction 20yrs ago and although
    he is sitting in a chair in full view I am ashamed to say I never
    gave him a second thought after all these years.
    Him and the cat then.
  • [quote=B Darter]I saw someone pick up a crash helmet in a crowded pub and vomit into it and put it back[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha
  • Child/netbook/handbag1
  • What about handbag2, Lily?
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyuoUwxCLMs&feature=related
  • Wouldn't it be great to get a handbag that played that soundclip whenever you opened it!
  • dogs first, then family (please don't tell them they aren't first), backup drive, handbag, bureau (bought it when I was 13 with the money my grandfather left me :) Can't actually carry it though!)
  • There is a trend forming on here in order animals, handbags, back up drives.
  • [quote=Mutley]bureau (bought it when I was 13 with the money my grandfather left me :) Can't actually carry it though!) [/quote]

Strap yourself to it, then wait for the fireman to rescue you (and it).
  • Like it Lexia.

They should use it as a clip on "Sorry I've got no head" where Marcus Brigstocke and some other chappie dress up as women and speak in shrill voices then complain that they have to pay "a thousand pounds?" when really they don't

:)
  • [quote=francis]I bid for a teddy in a charity auction 20yrs ago [/quote]
    And I, sad git that I am, one snowy Christmas Eve many many years ago, just as the shops were closing, saw an unwanted toy Eeyore in a shop's bargain box. He'd one eye missing and nobody wanted him and it was Christmas. I carried the box into the shop and said I'd like Eeyore. I was nearly in tears, he was the only toy left. And the nice Indian man helped me scrabble around at the bottom of the box and we found Eeyore's eye and Mr Indian Man stuck it on for me and didn't even charge for my little donkey, so I went home and added him to my collection ....
    I have him still.
    But I'd chuck out all the livestock, grab my bag and car keys and diary
  • [quote=ceka]I have him still.[/quote]

Not the Indian Man, stupid, the bloomin' donkey!
  • I hope you would all remember to put some clothes on.... that would be the first thing for me...

We get earthquakes here... luckily only mild mostly but there have been a few which have driven everybody out side in the early hours clutching children, mobile phones and cigarettes.

It is always me who goes back in to make pots of tea... well you can't have a disaster without a cuppa... can you?..x
  • I would grab the fire and take it out of the house, of course!
  • Hi, Female King. Welcome to Talkback. What genre do you read and write? By the way, don't forget July's One Word Challenge. If you're confused, just yell.
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks :) I'm not that great at sticking to a genre in either reading or writing, I'm afraid, so that's a difficult question! I try to read things that are a little different or quirky, so at the moment the books I have lined up on my 'to read' shelf include plots to do with Oliver Wilde being a detective, Dickens potentially being a serial killer, and espionage during the Spanish Civil War. What can I say, I'm incredibly fussy!

As to what I write, the answer to that would be: not much. But when I do manage it, I mostly paddle in the waves of fantasy, sci-fi and horror. That is, nothing too hardcore, but enough to land them in the genre.

Thanks, I'll make sure to yell loudly if need be!