Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Do you need an eye test? A free book when you go to Specsavers.

edited July 2011 in Off-topic
I just saw in the paper if you get an eye test at Specsavers ,from now until Sept 3rd you get a free book. Books are The Legacy by Kath Webb, Spies of the Balkans by Alan Furst or Brxton Beach by Roma Tearne.

Comments

• Ooh! Well, they need to do something. IMHO, their TV advertising campaign is so dire, and so patronising to 'old people', I can't bear to watch them.
  • I agree although my husband likes that train one for some reason.
  • I amm strugggling to red thsis ...er....maybee....I needdd i testy.
  • Thanks!
  • No you need a dictionary.
  • Just looked on website and can't see anything about it. I'll have a proper look tonight and thanks for giving me the heads up
  • There's not a web site link in the paper either, but it's a full page advert.
  • Seems like an expensive way to get a £4 book...or is that my cynical side coming out to play? :p
  • It sponsors the TV book club so I suppose that may be why?

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/tvbookclub/
  • Surely the better use of books and advertising would have been to have free novels outside their shop littered with typos and blurred writing.
  • I have to say that I will never grace the doorstep of Specsavers ever again, had so much trouble with them once.

Trying to tell someone that I couldn't read through my glasses, to which she said, 'They aren't reading glasses' as I pointed out they were as anything a foot away was blurred if I took them off. 'Oh she said, i don't wear glasses so I wouldn't know.'
  • [quote=Neph]I will never grace the doorstep of Specsavers ever again[/quote]

You should have gone to Vision Express.
  • I would have but by then it was all a blur..
  • you can get free eye test at Tesco

you can get free books at a library
  • I went there last year and got two pairs glasses ( buy one get one free) but wasn't sure one pair suited me so I said can I have another frame as I don't like that one afterall? The shop assistant said yes so I got three pairs of glasses for the price of one pair. The pair I am not mad about are my bedtime reading glasses, one pair for my handbag and one pair for the home. I was always forgetting my glasses so 3 pairs sorts that problem.
  • I need some new ones but I have to have two pairs anyway, one for reading and one for everything else. Tried varifocals but couldn't get on with them at all.
  • I tired varifocals too twice and hated them.
  • I ended up not being able to focus on anything through them.

I think next time I might get two pairs of my proper ones as my readers are still ok.
  • I also have a special pair just for the computer.
  • So far I've managed to avoid having to get a pair for that, but I have a feeling it's coming, my ordinary ones get perched further down my nose, when I run out of nose will have to get some.
  • [quote=Neph]I would have but by then it was all a blur.. [/quote]

:D
  • Should have gone to Sex Saviours.
  • I feel foolish wearing glasses so I buy two monocles, one for each eye. Now I feel less conspicuous and less of a fool.
  • [quote=dora]Should have gone to Sex Saviours. [/quote]
    Oh that made me howl. Where's my nearest branch, Dora?
  • Well, my nearest branch of willow is always kept handy under my bed PBW, for those moments of spontaneity when one just has to whip oneself up into a frenzy, otherwise they'd go quite mad, or so I've been led to believe
  • Oh, footle. So contrary to opticians' beliefs, varifocals can be tricky, eh?

I have glasses for outside and watching tele and glasses for reading. Both need changing. I also need some for the computer, and some for drawing. i was hoping to get away with two pairs of variously focaled glasses and now I feel that would be unwise. But as they cost about £300 each, at the very least for my prescription, I need to get it right.

This is why I've been straining to see for the last few years. I can't bear the trauma.
  • I won't buy sunglasses which change with the light.
  • [quote=paperbackwriter]Ooh! Well, they need to do something. IMHO, their TV advertising campaign is so dire, and so patronising to 'old people', I can't bear to watch them.
    [/quote]

Well said, PBW, I couldn't agree more!
  • Liz when I tried varifocals the opticians let me try them for ten days first to see if I liked them and said if I wasn't happy to go back and I could have a normal prescription instead, which is what I did as I couldn't get on with them, but many people do.
    That happened both times I tried them and with different opticians, a few years inbetween.