Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writers Wanted - One Act Play International Competition

edited January 2014 in Writing
Writers are wanted to submit one act plays for an international competition.

Top six shortlisted plays will be produced and performed live on four nights while being viewed and judged by an international online audience.

Three winning plays will be taken on a national and potentially an international one act play tour.

All scripts received will receive a full critique.

For further details email - firesaleproductions AT gmail DOT com

Comments

• Is this sort of advertising allowed on Talkback?
  • Is there a reading fee?
  • Im not sure really. I dont see it as advertising, just spreading the word about a writing opportunity. If the admins dont think it appropriate so be it.
  • edited January 2014
    An international playwriting competition without a website?!
    Please could you send me full details?

EDIT: Since you're new... I'm the admins! We usually prefer people to get to know other members and get a flavour for the forum before posting things like this.
  • Sure thing. Full details available at - http://firesalepro.com/theatre.html
  • Thanks for that - everyone can get an idea of what you're about for themselves before emailing now!
  • No problem, thanks Webbo!
  • Seems a bit pricey to me, given that there are no cash prizes.
  • And there are just too many unknowns built in.

The people who are doing the adjudicating, are they qualified in this area, and what are their qualifications?

Who will be making up this international online audience? How will they see the shortlist?
    Under what conditions will the shortlist be shown- a studio setting/theatre setting/hall?

That brief is just too vague...
  • edited January 2014
    Hi Heather and Carol,

Thank you for your feedback.
    Based on this and some other people's comments I've talked to the team at Firesale and we've decided to waiver to submission fee for users of talkback writers forum for all scripts submitted before 31st January. Just email your script(s) to firesaleproductions AT gmail DOT com stating that you use talkback writers forum.

In terms of the other questions the adjudicators have between seven and twenty five years in theatre directing, acting and of course writing.

The online audience will be made up of a sampling of people involved in theatre around the world. They will be viewing a recorded version of the live theatre performance.

I hope this answers your questions.
  • That's a nice gesture.
  • edited January 2014
    Thank you for answering those questions Firesale Productions.

You might find it helpful to add the detail about the qualifications of the adjudicators, etc on the website page, as that will reassure potential entrants...

Good luck with it.
  • I'm reassured no end.

I feel terribly guilty about all the bad thoughts I was having when I first read the post, thinking it was a scam an' all, and that Firesale would burn my fingers

I'm just unutterably sorry, now, that I don't write plays...

Best of luck.
  • SM, sadly there have been too many cases in the past of writers being cheated, so we now tend to be suspicious to protect ourselves.

The genuine, legitimate organisations will respond to questions and clarify issues which reassures, as Firesale Productions has done here.
  • I know what you mean, Snailmale - I feel similarly guilty. Sorry, Firesale! And I'm very delighted to see that they're located in West Cork, where I'm planning to move to! :)
  • Thanks for all your kind comments and I'm glad we could reassure you. We look forward to your entries.

Also Claudia you've picked a great place to move to. Lots going on in terms of theatre, music and writing. Also lots of places to go for inspiration.
  • [quote=Firesale Productions]Also Claudia you've picked a great place to move to.[/quote]

I know! I'm really looking forward to it... just waiting for our house purchase to go through, but it's going to take a while. :)
  • I've cycled and hitched around County Cork. It's beautiful there.

[quote=Firesale Productions]I hope this answers your questions.[/quote]

Thank you :)
  • [quote=dora]I've cycled and hitched around County Cork. [/quote]

I've cycled. I kissed the Blarney Stone as well. Bet you did too, dorakins. ;)
  • Hope Lou finds this thread - she may find it of interest.
  • [quote=snailmale]I'm just unutterably sorry, now, that I don't write plays...[/quote]

Me too!

I wonder if we could.

If we really tried...

Yes, we had a fab time in that part of Ireland. Lovely people!
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]I wonder if we could.

If we really tried...[/quote]

Not considering a Blodwyn-Mollusc joint production are you, TN?
    http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/message_board/images/smiles/icon_roll.gif
  • I still have a scripted sketch of a bladder endoscopy/biopsy on file. Not sure if that would suit...
  • edited January 2014
    [quote=snailmale]I still have a scripted sketch of a bladder endoscopy/biopsy on file. Not sure if that would suit...[/quote]

Well that's certainly different, but is it art? :)
  • I hope you're not questioning the integrity of my work, Carol??

Actually, as it's based on fact, it comes under the heading of a drama documentary.
  • [quote=snailmale]I hope you're not questioning the integrity of my work, Carol??[/quote]

Never! ;)
  • [quote=snailmale]I still have a scripted sketch of a bladder endoscopy/biopsy on file[/quote]

You're on your own with that one!
  • Have you no sense of adventure, TN?
  • Thanks Baggy, I may have a go of this if I hear back about a certain script I have in mind before 31/1...
  • [quote=Firesale Productions]Based on this and some other people's comments I've talked to the team at Firesale and we've decided to waiver to submission fee for users of talkback writers forum for all scripts submitted before 31st January. Just email your script(s) to firesaleproductions AT gmail DOT com stating that you use talkback writers forum.[/quote]
    Well worth having a go. Thank you for posting up this opportunity.
  • Well, I made it in time for the deadline. Whether my first attempt to write a play has worked remains to be seen, but it will be interesting to receive the feedback. ;))
  • well done and good luck!
  • Best of luck, Claudia!
  • Well done Claudia and good luck!
  • I've entered too! Just got in before the deadline with half an hour to go!
  • Well done, Lou - doubt I stand a chance against a pro playwright. :-S
  • Ha ha, of course you do!
  • Good luck both of you :O)
  • Good luck to you, too, Lou.

Oooh oooh (thought I'd continue the rhyme).

Well, hopefully between you, you'll bring back a first and second for the TB mantelpiece!
  • Good luck with your entries, Claudia, and Lou.
  • Nothing to lose - free entry and feedback. Good luck, both.
  • The website has disappeared, which is a bit worrying...
    Facebook site still there.
  • I would be very cautious about this Fireside Productions.
  • edited April 2014
    [quote=dora]I've cycled and hitched around County Cork. [/quote]

I've cycled. I kissed the Blarney Stone as well. Bet you did too, dorakins. ;)
    Tbh the thought of gawd knows how many people, especially sweaty cyclists, getting their lips onto that stonethen being expected to snog it myself, is really quite a turn off. When it comes to who I snog I really do draw the line at a saliva coated slab of concrete.

• But everyone kisses the stone...
  • Stan. Contrary to wot you may have heard like, I am not everyone.
  • I would be very cautious about this Fireside Productions.
    Why Stan?
  • Someone mentioned that their website had disappeared.
  • I thought you might know something I didn't!