Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Advice for reading to an audience

edited July 2015 in Writing
On Sunday (5th), I will be reading the first chapter of mine and Loz's, L.M. Towton novel, 'The Soul Caller' at the Barking Folk Festival (in Partnership with the Barbican) at 2:15pm.

As I'm generally an anxious person and standing in front of an audience (who's size I have no idea what it will be) is almost the idea of a nightmare for me, could anyone who has done any readings please give me some advice?

Comments

• Sit. Then if your legs go wobbly it won't matter.

Read it a lot, so that you have bits you know well enough to read out looking at the audience - nothing worse than an author who reads into the book instead of making contact.

Hold the book well below your face, almost flat, so your voice flows into the room and not the book - this is what we are taught to do at singing and it makes a huge difference.

Once you are doing it you do it - somehow worries drop away, you are performing and you can 'feel' the attention, so that gives you the confidence that you are doing ok.

People love humanity - if you make a mistake, they love you for it. don't sorry about stumbling, just read that bit again.

There was a bit on Facebook about yoga breathing and doing it to sleep - if you can find the instructions for that, it is very calming and centre-ing.

Read sLOWLY. Readings do not take much time, so read MUCH slower than seems necessary to your ear. They have to hear each word, and have a little time to process what they have just heard as well as anticipate what might be about to happen, don't lose them by going too quickly so they wonder what you said or even ask someone next to them instead of what you are saying next.

Practise.
  • Good advice - in general terms, not for this occasion - is to perhaps join Toastmasters International. I know of several authors who are members, honing their communication skills.

http://www.toastmasters.org/
  • I find starting off reading directly 'to' a person towards the back, helps me get the delivery pitch right (and makes the audience seem smaller) - good luck and hope it goes well.
  • Wear something comfortable, and distinctive, so that you don't fade into the background (depends very much on whether you're in a tent or a room, but the colour keeps the audience focussed- it helps you psychologically.

• Agree with that 100% - i go to TK Maxx to get bright, sparkly stuff.
  • edited July 2015
    Practise reading to someone if you can (and get them to sit a fair distance away even if that means in another room). It takes a while to get used to speaking slowly and loud enough for people to follow you.

Picking out an individual to read to is a good idea. If it's a largish group then select several people - one centre back, one halfway down each side and one near the front.
  • i don't look at anyone directly. It creeps me out if a reader does that to me.
  • Good advice - in general terms, not for this occasion - is to perhaps join Toastmasters International. I know of several authors who are members, honing their communication skills.

http://www.toastmasters.org/
    Good advice, Baggy. I'm a member of a Speakers' Club which also provides good practice and constructive feedback on public speaking. http://the-asc.org.uk/index.html

• i don't look at anyone directly. It creeps me out if a reader does that to me.
    I always wink at them. ;)

Seriously, just don't gaze into the distance too obviously. You can skim the audience without catching an eye. Speakers who fix their gaze where there's no audience let their nerves show.

• Yes, I'm not talking about someone who looks into the audience and doesn't gaze into your face. I've had several people do that to me and you don't know what to do with your eyes. i must have one of th
    ose interested, listening faces.
  • Happens to me too - I feel obliged to grin pleasantly but inanely all the time they are speaking!
  • Me too, it's awful!
  • Interspersed with the odd, wise nod, or rueful, gentle smile.
  • Three weeks ago, at my son's wedding service (it as a civil ceremony) I did a reading of my own work to 140 people. I had never done anything like that before. Half of them were strangers, I took a deep breath looked around, and saw my son's next door neighbour, so although I looked around from time to time I kept going back to his area. Someone took a photograph and I was smiling and I received loud applause so it can't have been that bad. I would do it again. The first time is the worst.
  • Feel for you, Jediya. I did my first public reading last week. I was nervous and it showed for the first few minutes but the audience were with me, then I settled and enjoyed it. Liz is right, something like 70% of people fear public speaking, they will identify with you for being human. An actress friend says the most important thing is to breathe.
  • Well, yes. Being alive for most of your talk is advisable.

Have to admit I am always wobbly for a few sentences, but then I sort of get interested in what I am saying.

It's also advisable to be a bit aware of your audience.

With children this is even more important, of course.

If you can 'hear' them listening, that is good. (You can, it's weird.)

But if there is a bit of shuffling, you sense a loosening of the atmosphere, then speed up your delivery, maybe cut a bit out (description?), change pace, or something like that.

Read the bit you are going to read with that in mind - highlight passages that can be left out.

Have something else to put in at the end to fill time if you have done this and you are supposed to fill a time slot - for instance, an anecdote of how you researched a point in the text, a funny story you have about writing etc.

Leave time for questions.
  • Thanks guys.

I went along to the reading of a couple of the other Pen to Print shortlisters/finalists and I think it's going to be a bit tough. There is a big music stage run by the Barbican Centre in the town square. The Story Tent is in the Arboretum just off of the square (with various other tents around) but it got very noisy from the music, especially when the drum troup started.

We'll see how it goes :/
  • Good luck!
  • Good luck.
  • Was in Toastmasters for over twenty years and received all sorts of advice.One is to think you are only reading/speaking to one person which we are all comfortable with. Another is to imagine the audience is sitting there naked. Afraid I could never cope with that one.
    In my experience, all these occasions require Practice, practice practice and on the day it will just flow with confidence.
    Incidently I did reach the national speech final one year, not bad for a kid with quite a speech defect in young days.
  • Thought of you, how did it go?
  • Probably still recovering.

• Sorry guys, have had a blinding headache all day. I'll let you know properly how it went tomorrow.
  • It seemed she remembered the breathing part anyway - that's good.
  • Hope the pressure of it all didn't cause the headache. But, next time will be easier. It's why I suggest breathing exercises - I do a TM in the car on the way there, even if someone else (rather than Peter) is driving me.
  • I think the headache was a number of things, Liz. Teeth issues, tiredness (I also had a craft stall at the festival on the same day) and too much jaw clenching.

As for the reading..

I think it went well. A couple of friends (fellow writers) & the co-ordinator of Pen to Print, said it did and that they couldn't tell that I was anxious, and they said my voice didn't drop at all. I was competing with a sound system banging out Bjork and 'My Sharona' at one point though.

There were probably about twelve people in all - but as it was an open tent, there were more walking by and listing to bits - a teenage boy and one bloke didn't seem interested at first but by the end the bloke (husband to my friend/fellow writer, Clare) was leaning over the chair in front of him listening intently and the teenager asked if there was any more. I assumed this was good.

• That sounds fabulous - to actually capture interest from a teenager is probably the best test you could have! Well done!
  • Sounds like you did brilliantly. Well done.
  • Excellent! If they weren't that interested and you got them paying attention then you definitely did something right.
  • Well done Jediya!
  • Sounds like a great result, Jediya. Well done!
  • Well done, Jediya.
  • So glad it went well for you.