Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Jobs that have something to do with light.

LizLiz
edited June 2015 in Writing
We are going to make a film of poems about light for National Poetry Day, and get people to read them that have jobs which have a connection to light. In any of its meanings.

I've emailed an astrophysicist, will do Cameron Balloons, probably a film lighting technician...

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Got any shops that do light fittings, lampshades and bulbs?

Someone who changes the lights on street lighting.

Maker of light displays.
  • Miners
    Opticians
    Lighthouse keeper
  • Spotlight person.
  • Lamplighter (historical)

candlestick maker
  • Night watchman (torch)
    Projectionist
    Photographer
  • my father was a lamplighter for a while. He had a long pole with a flame of some sort I suppose and there was a cut out or niche in the pole so that when pushed the pole into the housing he would catch the lever and turn on the gas. They were gas mantles. You have to be a certain age to remember what gas mantles are!
  • Anyone who uses a computer? Art-based maybe.
  • edited June 2015
    Photographer
    Astronomer
  • Thanks, all, keep them coming! We will have to contact a lot of people to get enough willing, I suspect.
  • Prostitute.
  • https://www.ncqlp.org/About

Stands for: National Council on Qualifications for the Lighting Professions
    I only gave it a glance, but you might find some inspiration.
  • Oooh, thanks, Claudia, will have a look tomorrow, just about to go to bed.

BAGGY! this is for public consumption including children! Honestly. Can't take you anywhere.
  • Gardeners and farmers

Writers? Many of us have seasonal writing patterns and I guess these are partly influenced by light levels.

Tour guides (when I did that we made adjustments to our routines and work patterns when the clocks changed as visitors need to see what you're showing them)

Lollipop ladies and anyone else to do with road safety.

People who work at sports grounds (floodlights needed)
  • Cinema usher (torch)

Solar panel installer

Candlemaker/seller

Fireworks person

• Suntan lotion manufacturers
  • I can't think of any jobs which don't involve light in some way.
  • edited June 2015
    Electrician.
  • Fridge door makers!
    Olympic torch runners
    solar panel installers
  • I mean fairly overtly in a visual way, really, PM.

We went to the Bristol Festival of Nature today and found some reps of the Bristol Astronomical Society - I told them what I wanted and one of them knew a really good light poem he quoted, so we are using him!

• Jehovah's witnesses claim to have 'seen the light'
    Cricket umpires who regularly fiddle with their 'light meters' decide there's not enough and piss off thousands of people.
    People who make and fit lightening conductors (now there's a job you shouldn't do in a storm)
    The Light Brigade if they still exist and aren't charging off somewhere - if they are you could try the fire brigade I suppose.
    I think I'll stop now...

• Candles - candle makers

JMW Turner strived all his life to paint light

lightweight something or other

metaphorical light - e.g. light of my life
  • lights is a word for guts - intestines
  • At organised bonfire events, the person designated to ignite the bonfire and fireworks

• Featherlite condoms
  • Condoms will have to wait until we are not in the children's section of Waterstone's... possibly also intestines, Lol! I'd forgotten that meaning - his liver and lights...

The people have to be alive, as they will read the poems.
  • lights is a word for guts - intestines
    I thought it was the lungs? They're full of air (even when dead/cooked) so light in weight.
  • Lights: the lungs of sheep, pigs or bullocks, sold as food, especially for pets. (OED)
    Jedi knights - light sabres.
  • Weather forecaster
    Sunglasses manufacturer
    Window installer
  • lighthousekeeper?
  • Bruce Forsythe is a light entertainer.
  • Lol!
  • The act that won BGT last year -- shadow movements.
  • Here's a music video I made by painting with light.

Just out of interest...
  • Curiously mesmerising, Mike.
  • Oooh. Giving me ideas, Mike. If you lived near I'd be getting you to read a poem as a 'person who paints with light' and getting you to do the background stuff for the video.
  • Glad to have inspired you, Liz. The video still shows up on MTV playlists. It's been a while since I painted with light but was great fun, especially on the live shows.
  • Three-dimensional printing often uses ultra-violet light to 'cure' layers of resin as the printer builds up the model in thin layers. Alternative methods use lasers to melt plastic or metal grains so that they merge into a solid model. There's got to be poetic potential in the concept of "building" with light! I'm sure you can find a prototyping lab near you that might be interested in the project.

Also, what about a surgeon who's an arthroscope/endoscope operator? Using light via fibre optics to look inside and treat patients without cutting them open?
  • An artist.

A dentist!
  • How does a dentist? Is it to 'fix' fillings?
  • Not quite, but they usually have a bright light above you so the light shines into your mouth and helps them see clearly when they are checking your teeth, doing a filling etc.
  • Well yes, but so does everybody use bright lights as illumination. It has to be more specific than that.
  • Danfango - I'm certain that 3 dimensional printing is alien technology - I find it a bit freaky!!!!
  • Theatre lighting engineers.
  • We must have some of those...
  • Anyone remember a song that goes:-
    'There's a little man in the fridge
    In between the ham and the butter
    And when I asked him what he did
    He said " I turn the lightee on".

No? Oh well.
  • Tanning booth operator!
  • Goodness, that is definitely a light-user. But I would loathe them so thoroughly for choosing a job that kills people my ability to be nice to them would be severely affected and I'd be unable to use them...
  • How about the big lights at football and cricket grounds...
  • Good thought. I suspect the person who controls them is probably the groundsman, so his job description would not be in the title... i can find that out though.
  • How about the big lights at football and cricket grounds...
    *ahem* Floodlights :-B