Welcome to Talkback!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Use of Word 'Scull'.
  • Has anyone seen the word 'scull' used in British writing to describe downing an ale or drink, as in: 'He sculled his beer'?
    It is used widely in Australia; just wondering if it is used enough here for it to be recognised.
    Ta.
  • I'd use that word in relation to rowing- oars.

• ClaudiaClaudia
    Agree with Carol - I've never heard of anyone sculling their beer - not even from Aussie friends and family.
  • Tiny NellTiny Nell
    No - only heard it as a rowing term.
  • Phots MollPhots Moll
    Nope. Only know it as a rowing term.

Out of context I'd imagine 'He sculled his beer' meant he inspected it, or was disastisfied with it.
  • Ta, very interesting.

Claudia, if you mention it to Oz friends, they will surely identify with it. It's as popular as the 'barby'. :D
  • I've heard of it in drinking terms.
  • Is it not skol though?
  • I've recently heard 'necking a beer'.
  • Schooner is used for sherry glasses.
  • Tiny NellTiny Nell
    You lot know far too much about drinking.

Disgusted of TB Manor.
  • Is it not skol though?

I've heard skol used as an alternative to 'cheers', but not skolling.
  • Mrs Bear
    I'm sure you can by a schooner of beer in Australia - meaning a jug for sharing.
    I used to have a wonderful book called 'Let's Talk Strine' which gave all these things.
    I also had The Drinkspotty Book which told one how to speak frightfully upper class English. It's wise to cover all social eventualities.

• When I was in Oz my uncle took me to the RSL where a schooner was about a third of a pint of beer. That's if I remember aright - it was 1990!

On the other hand, you can use almost any word to denote being pissed. I heard a comedian list loads of unlikely words which, in context, worked well. Try it and see.
    She was too handbagged to stand.
    All the lads gor anoracked that night.
    :)
  • Right, Lizy. A schooner is still around; basically another name for (and similar size to) a regular glass. With respect to other contributors, it has never been a jug or sherry glass in Australia, although Britain confers a different usage.

For BR, it's definitely, 'scull' and I have found it in the Australian 'Oxford' with the drinking definition. My dilemma was whether to use the word in a British novel. From this thread it seems as if I'd better drop the word.

Thanks all.
  • Mrs Bear
    PET, my memory dates from a 1979 trip to Australia, so is permitted to be vague. Many things are, after all this time.
  • neil
    I have a friend whose father was a director of a Scandinavian Shipping company. In her youth she enjoyed lots of free trips on the company's ships. Consequently she always nowadays says 'skoll' when every one else is saying 'cheers', a term, she says, learned from the Scandinavian sailors. I strongly suspect it wasn't the only thing she learned from them.
  • Yes, I have Swedish friends who use that word as cheers. Not sure how you spell it though!
  • We say 'salud' after all our years in Tenerife.
  • Tiny Nell said:

Yes, I have Swedish friends who use that word as cheers. Not sure how you spell it though!

That's Skål.

• Scull, in this part of the world is to pour the beer straight down the throat as opposed to drinking in a civilized manner. Cheers.
  • Yep, precisely. Former Oz prime minister was famed for it. Quite a few good 'scullers' in the Silver Ferns also!!
  • Another Aussie word is Strine. Utterly describes the twang in their speech.
  • Ah, that got me in the mood. Just had 2 Vegemite sandwiches.