Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The brilliance of creative chaos

edited December 2008 in - Reading
Following on from those pictures of writers' writing space, Clive James discusses.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7768021.stm

Comments

• I recently organised the heaps of paper/books/writing magazines/recipts with novel plots and poems scribbled on them that were growing at an alarming rate in my room and have managed to maintain an orderly desk for the past week...it works wonders in remaining focused on the particular task at hand.

Fascinating article too by the way, cheers Carol. Its good to be back on Talk Back.
  • Hallo again, MM!! How are you?

I identify with Clive James's comment about not being able to find books he knows he owns! We're inundated with books, many of them much more interesting - if only I knew what was where! - than the selection in our local libraries.
  • Good to see you again MM.
    I know what CJ means, I know I have books on certain subjects but where are they? :(
    I'll find them soon...
  • Hi Jenny and Carol. (: I'm fabulous thank you. This year has had its ups and downs but I'm optimistic and motivated at the moment...and its going to stay that way!
  • That's good to hear MM. Everyone has times when life knocks them over, but as long as you get up and try again, that's the important thing. :)
  • MM, good to see you again.
    My best friend has a vast library in all sorts of places, books here and there, but somehow, if I say to her 'who was king in 1715' she disappears, comes back with a book and tells me. She can seemingly put her hand on it immediately. When I told her I was working with Samuel Pepys on a series of essays, she disappeared and came back with a book of the Illustrated Pepys, which she had bought, never looked at and just handed over...
    Now me, with 2 bookcases, spend ages looking for THE book I need or the file I need or the piece of paper I need ... despite everything being in one room!
  • Such is life!
  • I resisted for a long time and then catalogued a lot of my books on Library Thing. While doing so I organised them so know, now, roughly where my fiction is, and my non-fic, and which shelf particular categories are... and I'll admit to having put my novels in alphabetical order which is hardly obsessive at all.

It's very useful. And I particularly like the little barcode scanner I bought from eBay to help me get the books into the computer. I love gadgets.
  • Sounds like a lot of work!