Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

cat-lovers writing competition

VivViv
edited December 2008 in - Writing Tales
There's a great competition for cat lovers, run by Cats Protection, closing on 27 Feb, so plenty of time to have a go. They want short stories up to 1000 words or poems up to 500 words, about cats. Prize for each category is a laptop worth over £400. No entry fee but a £5 donation to the charity (gift-aid-able) is required, although they say it's optional. You can enter and pay online at www.thecat.org.uk or download a form to send your entry by post.

Comments

• I had a go last time. My story didn't win, but it was included, beautifully illustrated, in a special supplement of the CP magazine. Definitely one for the portfolio.
  • I am entering this one!! I love cats, so seems only right I enter!!
  • Has this already been mentioned? Or maybe it was something similar. Perhaps I should have looked it up myself. Anyway, the reason I'm posting is because I keep reading it as car-lovers. Is it just me?
  • It's just you! ;)
  • Montholon, I read your last-year story in the CPL supplement. I knew I recognised your real name from somewhere but hadn't registered it was you. Well done! Was one of the others in the supplement the actual winner, cos it doesn't say?? Good luck if you are having another go. I have entered a story and am now contemplating whether to do a poem as well.
    Jay - do you need new glasses?
  • Viv, thank you for your kind words. I think the winners of the different categories (no pun intended) have been printed in the actual magazine, The Cat. In the Winter 2008 issue, of which I was sent a complimentary copy, there's the final winning entry, the category winner for 'Comical Cats'.

I may have another go at the competition. I've always loved cats and can't imagine not having them around the house.
  • When you enter the competition do you receive any acknowledgment of your entry? I ask because my husband entered the photo competition and has heard no more about the competition but keeps getting requests for donations. He made a generous donation when he entered.
  • I received an email to tell me that I hadn't won, but that my entry had been chosen as one of the runners up to be included in the supplement. No requests for extra donations so far.
  • I entered online this year, so you do get an immediate acknowledgement saying entry has been submitted/received. By post could be a different story.
  • I entered online but have had no acknowledgement yet.
  • There was an instant thanks for your entry on screen when I had finished sending - not a separate email or anything. I think that's all you get!
  • By post is a different story! And you don't get any results unless you write in and ask for them, but they sent me a couple of copies of the mag which was really generous of them. I sent a true tale and a short story last year and the short story has just been bought by PF, but since it's a sort of New Year story I bet it doesn't come out until Next new Year. But I don't care. And the little stray who was the subject of the true tale has now got a lovely home 'up the Mineral Line' - the second home I had to find for him, as the first failed after 6 months. He sorts out their terrier and is adored, thank goodness some strays find homes ...
  • Well done Ceka. You found a home for your story as well as the cat! Both my cats were waifs and strays needing a good home. And they do give great inspiration for stories, don't they? I've had two published that were based on my own catty experiences.
  • edited January 2009
    Do you think they'd like mine about the time I tried to swing a cat in small space?

Actually I have some ideas and think I'd like to enter. Thanks for starting this thread.
  • Do what?
  • I didn't start it, I @ it, because I might do it.
  • Anyone know if a winner has been announced yet? Not heard anything and it closed in Feb.
  • The winners have now been announced on the website (my name isn't there :( )
  • Never mind, you tried. And you can't win anything if you don't enter in the first place...
  • VivViv
    edited July 2009
    Oh dear. Just took a look and my name isn't there either! No time to read all the winners and runners up, but I did read the winning poem and didn't think much of it! But I suppose I can try submitting my short story elsewhere now.
  • Good luck Viv, all I can say is the judge clearly didn't have any taste if he/she didn't pick a TBer. :)
  • Thanks Carol. My story is on its way to Weekly News.
  • Let us know if they accept it.
  • The one I entered for this competition last year is one of my 'stories in waiting' sold to PF and probably be out around Christmas. Nothing wasted! Good luck, Viv!
  • That's good Ceka.
    A reminder to everyone that nothing is wasted.
  • edited July 2009
    Too true, one of my comp entries which didn't get anywhere is having a bit of a tweak and then going on it's merry way